Shanling M5s now with TIDAL - Dual AK4493EQ DAC, fully balanced, Wi-Fi, 2way LDAC BT, 3.2 Touch screen, FW 3.7
Aug 20, 2018 at 3:44 PM Post #166 of 2,497
Based on the M0's success, I expect these to sell really well. That little baby is surprisingly powerful; the fact they can get 2V out of that thing when wide open is really impressive. Also makes my car system sound fantastic.

Aug 20, 2018 at 4:26 PM Post #169 of 2,497
Most of them still have s****y battery life though! :grin:

That’s true but the output power of these modern hi res daps has gone up quite a bit from the old school daps where a lot of then were lucky to hit 32mw a channel into 16 ohms.

So something is going to take a hit, unless it’s a class D device like a Sony :wink:

Aug 20, 2018 at 4:32 PM Post #171 of 2,497
DAC: AK4493 EQ Dual
display: 3.2 inch touch screen
PC connection: USB Type-C
wireless: Wi-Fi (802.11 b / g / n compatible), two-way Bluetooth
memory card: microSD 1 slot 512 GB compatible
output terminal: 3.5 mm headphone (unbalanced), 2.5 mm headphone (balance)
output: balance 300 mW @ 32 Ω, single 130 mW @ 32 Ω
battery: 3700
mAh DSD 256
SN ratio - 121 db
The price is a target of 3,000 yuan or less

Great info :) Thnx if you happen upon the dimensions that would be ultra cool to know. I mean unless Shanling does first ha ha

Aug 20, 2018 at 6:22 PM Post #172 of 2,497
This kind of feels like an M3s replacement, but it has enough refinements and upgrades to be be called M5s. Shanling calls this a flagship, and I’m taking them by their word...if I get this one, there better not be a M7 (as somebody here coyly suggested) in the works. If so, Shanling should let us know. I don’t want to be surprised that one.

Aug 20, 2018 at 6:37 PM Post #173 of 2,497
This kind of feels like an M3s replacement, but it has enough refinements and upgrades to be be called M5s. Shanling calls this a flagship, and I’m taking them by their word...if I get this one, there better not be a M7 (as somebody here coyly suggested) in the works. If so, Shanling should let us know. I don’t want to be surprised that one.

Agreed. It is stated as a flagship, but from what has been released so far I would have expected more. I am looking at this vs the Cayin N5ii. Seems like the Cayin can do more for less.

Aug 20, 2018 at 7:03 PM Post #176 of 2,497
Agreed. It is stated as a flagship, but from what has been released so far I would have expected more. I am looking at this vs the Cayin N5ii. Seems like the Cayin can do more for less.

I had the N5ii didn’t like the horrible screen (it has way too much blue) and thought the sound was meh, just not much body and dynamics as I like. Of course lots see to love it and it’s a good deal but after having the I5 it just seemed like a downgrade.

Aug 20, 2018 at 7:05 PM Post #177 of 2,497
I had the N5ii didn’t like the horrible screen (it has way too much blue) and thought the sound was meh, just not much body and dynamics as I like. Of course lots see to love it and it’s a good deal but after having the I5 it just seemed like a downgrade.

I like the sound of it. But I do agree the screen is not the best color wise.

Aug 20, 2018 at 7:12 PM Post #179 of 2,497
Android OS with the ability for streaming apps. Spotify, etc. 2 micro SD card slots. Larger screen, smaller overall size.
Well, I think Shanling can fix this with updated firmwares in the future.
Beside, the ultimate reason we buy DAPs is because of the sound and we didn't even hear them yet so I wouldn't agree when you're saying the Cayin N5ii is doing more for less.

Aug 20, 2018 at 8:05 PM Post #180 of 2,497
Well, I think Shanling can fix this with updated firmwares in the future.
Beside, the ultimate reason we buy DAPs is because of the sound and we didn't even hear them yet so I wouldn't agree when you're saying the Cayin N5ii is doing more for less.

I was just comparing the released features at this point. I would expect this unit to sound as good if not better than the Cayin.

None of the items I mentioned can be fixed via a firmware update. Shanling has already stated that this is not an android DAP and it will not work with Spotify.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back