Shanling M5s now with TIDAL - Dual AK4493EQ DAC, fully balanced, Wi-Fi, 2way LDAC BT, 3.2 Touch screen, FW 3.7
Jan 21, 2019 at 4:53 PM Post #1,681 of 2,497
For the record, this was the adapter I was referring to. Seems like it was specifically designed to go allow SE headphones to use a balanced out... But I take your word of caution seriously in terms of potential damage to the rest of my gear.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M9HK243/
See this link:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/balanced-amp-to-se-headphones-question.535455/

Though it does sound like some folks are using that adapter with no problems.... It's not something I'd risk without some expert and MFR confirmation that it is OK. When DAP MFR recommends agains it, that is enough for me.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2019 at 5:03 PM Post #1,682 of 2,497
Basically it’s using a dummy ground where it should have 4 poles including 2 active grounds. Depending on the circuit and protective measures it could possibly cause a short which could damage your output circuit- amp.

I wouldn’t take a chance, especially for no benifits. Because if it even works your not getting the benefit of the balanced circuit design.

You can safely take a 4 pole wire and adapt it to a single ground (3 pole) circuit.

Jan 21, 2019 at 8:29 PM Post #1,683 of 2,497
@Shanling

Remember the glitch I told you about where there would be no sound after switching headphones? After updating to 2.1, I'm experiencing it almost constantly now! Upon switching, either the volume would be waaay too low to be discernible or there would be no sound at all! An annoying glitch to be sure!

Jan 21, 2019 at 8:32 PM Post #1,684 of 2,497

I got my M5s about a week ago. It's got about 100 hours of play time on it and has had time to have some "burn-in" the sound is definitely warming up. I LOVE the UI and the screen. It feels great in the hand and it sounds good, but I must report what I believe is a problem with the EQ. I've been A/B testing the M5s against my Astell&Kern AK120 and also against my Huawei P10 Plus phone using JRT Studio "Rocket Palyer". On all three devices I'm using Shure 535 IEMs with Knowles "white filter / dampers". The M5s plays very clean. When I first got it it did sound a bit "harsh" both with and without EQ but as the hours have gone through the Chips, the sound has mellowed a bit but in direct comparison to the AK120, the Bass is little bit thinner, not quite as present - and that's OK because the device has a full EQ. But here's the problem. On several tracks (lots of them) when I have the EQ on and if I have the 31, 62 & 125 hz set anywhere above 0, the sound gets so degraded and decayed that that I cant even her the tune anyome. It sounds like perhaps I blew the drivers in my IEMs. If I turn the EQ off, or set the low frequencies to zero or lower the sound cleans up but I loose the depth of sound. So, I started believing the problem was my Shure's . To give it a proper comparison, I popped the same mSD card into my phone and started playing the same tracks I was having problems with. I set the EQ in Rocket Player to accentuate the same frequencies and all I got was beautifully defined sound full of rich low tones and crisp highs. So, that leaves me to conclude there is a problem with the EQ and it needs a firmware update or there is problem with my specific device ..... but I have fully ruled out the earphones. The mids and highs on the M5s are lovely but the low frequencies in anything greater than neutral are just muddy ...... is it my device or is it a software flaw? On the tracks in question my cell phone honestly has a more pleasing sound and thats just not right.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2019 at 9:12 PM Post #1,685 of 2,497
I can confirm that, it happens when auto standby isn't on. Quite annoying.
Also, polish translation is still very bad. Even the new features added have very random Google-translate-like translation.

Thank you, the "standby isn't on" is key point, was able to replicate it once. But failed to replicate it again. Do you always pause playback same way? Button, screen? In normal playing mode, BT receiver, airplay? I'm trying it out for past hour.
Will urge distributor to do proper check of M5s.

For the record, this was the adapter I was referring to. Seems like it was specifically designed to go allow SE headphones to use a balanced out... But I take your word of caution seriously in terms of potential damage to the rest of my gear.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M9HK243/

Balanced outputs on our devices are build to be used only with balanced headphones/amplifiers.
You can find online all the cables and they will all claim they will work perfectly. So be careful before you buy something, just because Amazon comment told you it will work just fine.

@Shanling

Remember the glitch I told you about where there would be no sound after switching headphones? After updating to 2.1, I'm experiencing it almost constantly now! Upon switching, either the volume would be waaay too low to be discernible or there would be no sound at all! An annoying glitch to be sure!

I was now testing it on two units of M5s, different headphones, standard 3.5 jack, 4pin 3.5 jack, balanced and I can't get this problem to show.
Is it on any change? when you immediately change headphones it will be lower volume? Or after some long pause? Something else?

I got my M5s about a week ago. It's got about 100 hours of play time on it and has had time to have some "burn-in" the sound is definitely warming up. I LOVE the UI and the screen. It feels great in the hand and it sounds good, but I must report what I believe is a problem with the EQ. I've been A/B testing the M5s against my Astell&Kern AK120 and also against my Huawei P10 Plus phone using JRT Studio "Rocket Palyer". On all three devices I'm using Shure 535 IEMs with Knowles "white filter / dampers". The M5s plays very clean. When I first got it it did sound a bit "harsh" both with and without EQ but as the hours have gone through the Chips, the sound has mellowed a bit but in direct comparison the AK120, the Bass is little bit thinner, not quite as present - and that's OK because the device has a full EQ. But here's the problem. On several tracks (lots of them) when I have the EQ on and if I have the 31, 62 & 125 hz set anywhere above 0, the sound gets so degraded and decayed that that I cant even her the tune anyome. It sounds like perhaps I blew the drivers in my IEMs. If I turn the EQ off, or set the low frequencies to zero or lower the sound cleans up but I loose the depth of sound. So, I started believing the problem was my Shure's . To give it a proper comparison, I popped the same mSD card into my phone and started playing the same tracks I was having problems with. I set the EQ in Rocket Player to accentuate the same frequencies and all I got was beautifully defined sound full of rich low tones and crisp highs. So, that leaves me to conclude there is a problem with the EQ and it needs a firmware update or there is problem with my specific device ..... but I have fully ruled out the earphones. The mids and highs on the M5s are lovely but the low frequencies in anything greater than neutral are just muddy ...... is it my device or is it a software flaw? On the tracks in question my cell phone honestly has a more pleasing sound and thats just not right.

EQ implementation on M5s is not ideal, we had some reports of EQ introducing distortion into sound. We are working on better EQ for future firmware update.
Meanwhile I would recommend, if you want to lift bass, keep bass EQ at 0 and lower other frequencies.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Jan 21, 2019 at 9:36 PM Post #1,686 of 2,497
EQ implementation on M5s is not ideal, we had some reports of EQ introducing distortion into sound. We are working on better EQ for future firmware update..
Thanks for acknowledging the issue. It shows who you are and how you as a company handle things. I totally trust you to make this a great DAP and to support your community & devices.

Jan 22, 2019 at 1:05 AM Post #1,687 of 2,497
The EQ distortion is bad news for me, I have been looking for this but EQ is a deal breaker for me. I came to a conclusion that if you want to use EQ, there are only two alternatives Cowon or Lotoo. They both have excellent DSP IMO.
Shanling has admitted there is an issue with the EQ causing distortion but that they are close to a fix to be released in a future firmware.

Jan 22, 2019 at 4:52 AM Post #1,689 of 2,497
Thank you, the "standby isn't on" is key point, was able to replicate it once. But failed to replicate it again. Do you always pause playback same way? Button, screen? In normal playing mode, BT receiver, airplay? I'm trying it out for past hour.
Will urge distributor to do proper check of M5s.

The first time I noticed the issue was when I left the player paused for like 40 seconds on pause with screen off (iirc it doesn't matter if I pause by button or screen). Please note that I had the auto-shutdown turned on for 1 minute setting. It started happening for me on 2.1 FW. When I unpaused the music it was very quiet and only reboot fixed the issue. It happened every time after waiting with screen off for about 40 seconds. Normal playing mode from SD.

The second way the issue happened to me was with auto-standby turned ON and when the player was in standby I unplugged my Zs5 and plugged in another iem. The music was very quiet and once again a reboot fixed it.

Didn't test SE output, everything was tested on balanced out.

I can try later to do more tests and pinpoint a more precise way to replicate the issue :)

Jan 22, 2019 at 7:24 AM Post #1,692 of 2,497
CORRECT IS DOING WITHOUT CHARGING

This is very annoing, everytime you stop the player and wake the screen, the volume is very very low, since this is what happens everytime when i recive a phone call, i've have allways to reset the player.

will revert to 2.0 until this is fixed, prefer the ocational freeze from now and then.

@Shanling - please solve this fast. Please

Jan 22, 2019 at 10:06 PM Post #1,693 of 2,497
The first time I noticed the issue was when I left the player paused for like 40 seconds on pause with screen off (iirc it doesn't matter if I pause by button or screen). Please note that I had the auto-shutdown turned on for 1 minute setting. It started happening for me on 2.1 FW. When I unpaused the music it was very quiet and only reboot fixed the issue. It happened every time after waiting with screen off for about 40 seconds. Normal playing mode from SD.

The second way the issue happened to me was with auto-standby turned ON and when the player was in standby I unplugged my Zs5 and plugged in another iem. The music was very quiet and once again a reboot fixed it.

Didn't test SE output, everything was tested on balanced out.

I can try later to do more tests and pinpoint a more precise way to replicate the issue :)

40 seconds you say. Around 30 second after music is paused, audio circuit shuts down. When you restart playback, it should all turn back on.

Can you please try to do this again and actually put your ear next to your player, on restarting playback you should hear two metal clicks, about 2.5 seconds apart.

I'm getting suspicious this problem might be amplifier part not turning back on. So you are getting just weak signal from DAC.

This is very annoing, everytime you stop the player and wake the screen, the volume is very very low, since this is what happens everytime when i recive a phone call, i've have allways to reset the player.

will revert to 2.0 until this is fixed, prefer the ocational freeze from now and then.

@Shanling - please solve this fast. Please

You can bet I'm trying my hardest to figure this out. Was running it pretty much whole yesterday and during whole day, managed to get this problem only twice, out of dozens of tries. Even unpacked two brand new units to see if it was some difference in runs.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back