Shanling M5s now with TIDAL - Dual AK4493EQ DAC, fully balanced, Wi-Fi, 2way LDAC BT, 3.2 Touch screen, FW 3.7
Jan 19, 2019 at 7:21 AM Post #1,651 of 2,497
Considering this DAP, or the Fiio m9.

I intend to output DSD / 24 bit music from the USB C outputto my DAC.
My DAC is a music fidelity v90 with USB - (type B input), coax in, optical in.. Would this work (preference is USB C > USB - B and what cable would i need? Obviously can fall back on coax, but would like to know if USB is possible too?

Jan 19, 2019 at 1:55 PM Post #1,652 of 2,497
I'm considering this dap or m9 too

Jan 19, 2019 at 1:57 PM Post #1,653 of 2,497
The m5s is better than the M9 the only thing I liked better personally was the gold rings around the 3.5mm and 2.5mm outputs. And the quick charge of the M9.

On another note has anyone got a hiby r6 non pro version and how does this stack against the m5s?

Jan 19, 2019 at 2:01 PM Post #1,654 of 2,497
I'm considering this dap or m9 too
I played with both of them. Not enough to compare the Sound Quality but the UI of M5s is much smother and more intuitive than the M9 and the Battery life is stellar on the M9 - takes a little longer to charge but lasts so much longer too. I sold an AK120 for this. Very happy with the purchase. The AK120 was a little "warmer" and bass was a bit better defined , but the mids and highs on this M5s are beautifully present and clear.

Jan 19, 2019 at 8:03 PM Post #1,655 of 2,497
Thank goodness I opted for the Titanium version as the black one kind of looks boring, gauging from the photos here. Only one girl's opinion, though.:blush:

Jan 19, 2019 at 10:50 PM Post #1,656 of 2,497
I picked up the titanium too, with the black case, but I only got the titanium because the delivery was quicker. I thing the black look sexy. Ok, just one guys opinion.

Jan 20, 2019 at 3:18 AM Post #1,657 of 2,497
Can anyone confirm that the M5s is running full Android OS and full versions of aftermarket apps can be installed? (Tidal, Deezer, Spoty etc.)

Cheers

Jan 20, 2019 at 4:28 AM Post #1,658 of 2,497
Can anyone confirm that the M5s is running full Android OS and full versions of aftermarket apps can be installed? (Tidal, Deezer, Spoty etc.)

Cheers
No, it runs it own OS which is called MTouch 2.0 OS!
http://en.shanling.com/product/226

Just nice for pure music without any useless heavy android stuffs.:ksc75smile: I learn from Shanling that Tidal support is on the process.

Jan 20, 2019 at 4:32 AM Post #1,659 of 2,497
No, it runs it own OS which is called MTouch 2.0 OS!
http://en.shanling.com/product/226

Just nice for pure music without any useless heavy android stuffs.:ksc75smile: I learn from Shanling that Tidal support is on the process.

Blimey! That’s a very large, expensive DAP without current support of Android Apps. Hope it sounds as good as the iBasso DX120!
Tidal is on the way tho?

Jan 20, 2019 at 5:02 AM Post #1,660 of 2,497
Blimey! That’s a very large, expensive DAP without current support of Android Apps. Hope it sounds as good as the iBasso DX120!
Tidal is on the way tho?

Android OS is heavy. It also needs more proccessing resource of the chip instead of for pure music. There are also many amazing ultra expenisive and non android highend DAP like Cowon Plenue II Mark2 ( Linux OS), Questyle QP2R, Cayin N8, HiFiman ... (And of course the best for the money Shanling M5s :deadhorse:)
For Tidal, please check with @Shanling

Jan 20, 2019 at 5:35 AM Post #1,663 of 2,497
I will most probably be reviewing M5s soon :)

I still have M0 to write about from Shanling, and that one was a real success for me! :)
Is for me also! Incredible device for the money. One of the quickest UI’s I’ve ever used even with 1300 albums loaded on a 400Gb card.

Jan 20, 2019 at 5:38 AM Post #1,664 of 2,497
Android OS is heavy. It also needs more proccessing resource of the chip instead of for pure music. There are also many amazing ultra expenisive and non android highend DAP like Cowon Plenue II Mark2 ( Linux OS), Questyle QP2R, Cayin N8, HiFiman ... (And of course the best for the money Shanling M5s :deadhorse:)
For Tidal, please check with @Shanling
Na, I do understand. Not winging, just for similar money you can have a Cayin N5ii or Hiby R6 which all have monster CPU’s and full Android OS’.
The M5s ticks all the boxes other than that however I’m only considering a larger transport because all of the ‘small’ DAPs are such junk with calculator processors and proprietary OS’ which don’t work well with Tidal plug-ins.
Having said all that, I suppose I should consider a Poly for my Mojo really.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2019 at 8:34 PM Post #1,665 of 2,497
LO settings also takes effect with Balanced out.

SE and Balanced circuit on M5s are identical, simply balanced uses double of all the parts. Putting in another dedicated SE circuit, trying to match balanced, would only cause player to be bigger and more expensive, with no real advantage for the maximum sound of the player.

Dedicated lineout, that was common on DAPs when everybody was running around with their RSA amps strapped to their iPod. Nowadays amount of such users is very very limited. And when it comes to connecting DAP to your dedicated home rig, why connect to big amplifier, when you can connect DAP directly to dedicated home DAC over USB output? So that leaves people with nice car stereos to be only users really enjoying such feature? Not saying Lineout will not show up on some future Shanling product, but simply we don't think it's priority for many users, while causing devices to be bigger and more expensive for all.

Thanks for the reply! So, if it possible to use a 2.5mm balanced to 3.5mm SE adapter to get the best LO possible with the M5s. Good to know.

As far as the rest of my comments, you make some good points. I was only speaking of the future possibilities, as technology changes or advances. I see a lot of DAPs where the design favors balanced over SE or vice versa. Same with a lot of dedicated home gear, so I don't want to sound like i'm picking on Shanling or anyone specific. I understand why that's often the case; that you have to make trade-offs with real world designs to hit a target sale price and still make a profit. For the record, I obviously approve of the choices your engineering and design teams have made. Still loving my M5s. Looking forward to the US firmware update! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back