Shanling M5s now with TIDAL - Dual AK4493EQ DAC, fully balanced, Wi-Fi, 2way LDAC BT, 3.2 Touch screen, FW 3.7
Jan 15, 2019 at 10:36 AM Post #1,621 of 2,497
Just got mine today, nice device but boy for a plus 400 dollar device the screen is really crappy ‘way too warm’ and low rez (although saturated nice) Anyways the sound is just too warm atm and I’m burning it in hoping it gains some more treble energy and detail.

As it is I’d take the zx300 over it (weird reverb effect and all) and against the sr15 it’s no contest. Even the AP80 sounds more energetic.

The stage is nice though, oh and I need to try to change themes because I’m hitting the scrub button every time I hit play/ pause on the screen.

I don’t want to sound too harsh- it sounds really nice so far just not my cup of tea. Ok back to burn in.

Pics:

So if the screen is really crappy at $400 it must be hideous at $700.00 good to know. :beyersmile:

Starting to feel a bit like a yo-yo, go from warm with the A17 to neutral with the M0 and back to warm again with the M5S, not sure I can handle all these temperature swings, looks like I will take a pass on this one. Makes me wonder what to expect from the next M2S/M3S temperature wise hopefully somewhere in the middle.

Jan 15, 2019 at 10:53 AM Post #1,622 of 2,497
So if the screen is really crappy at $400 it must be hideous at $700.00 good to know. :beyersmile:

Starting to feel a bit like a yo-yo, go from warm with the A17 to neutral with the M0 and back to warm again with the M5S, not sure I can handle all these temperature swings, looks like I will take a pass on this one. Makes me wonder what to expect from the next M2S/M3S temperature wise hopefully somewhere in the middle.

Oh it sounds pretty good, don’t get me wrong I’m just spoiled by Sony and AK sound. To me even though it’s a more ‘quality’ sound it is just missing that oomph of even M0. I guess it’s just too ‘polite’ for me but the sound quality overall technically is very good. Compared to zx300, sr15, M0, AP80 it feels like there is just the slightest veil covering the sound.

Lol and the AK screen is excellent btw. I can’t even make out the 0 on the M5s screen on the total song time. It looks like pixels are missing.

That said I’d take it over the Cayin n5ii any day sound and screen.

Just my ‘subjective’ opinions. :wink:

Wait you’d have to pay 700 dollars for the M5s? I thought you were referring to the ak sr15 screen.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2019 at 11:12 AM Post #1,624 of 2,497
abitdeef;

Can you expand on why you would take the M5S over the N5II "any day".

Yes, first let me say the M5s has excellent layering and a very good sound stage. I wouldn’t necessarily call it warm either like say Fiio X5iii. Maybe warmish, it’s just missing some treble energy I like and the bass is just a tiny bit flabby- on balanced it’s better and I’m sure that will shore up in time - the bass that is.

Anyways I didn’t like sound the n5ii, I thought the stage was too small and the ‘body’ was too thin. Keep in mind I was used to the ZX300’s balanced out at the time and didn’t keep it long enough to properly break it in. But in general I just didn’t like the sound signature.

I thought the screen was really cold and off so I returned it. Maybe just a bit to neutral for my taste I guess. I guess the SS model is much better screen wise.

It’s like well a lot of you know if you’ve been listening to portable gear and amps and headphones for years and years. Well you kind of find out your ‘ideal’ or preferred sound signature is.

Then when you listen to something, sometimes you just know right away that it’s not going to work. Doesn’t mean it is bad equipment or sounds bad (Everything today is beyond spec of human hearing) but it just doesn’t meet your idea sound sig or tickle your fancy.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2019 at 11:21 AM Post #1,625 of 2,497
More likely your car isn't compatible with the M0.

It's probably trying to be clever and not connecting to anything that doesn't announce itself as a phone.

It's the M5S actually, I haven't gotten the M0 yet. Didn't realize that my car is so racist, I will probably have to take it to a tolerance camp.

Joke aside, I tried to connect the DX150 to my car and it recognizes the device without any problem. But then again, that thing is running Android similar to a phone.

Jan 15, 2019 at 1:36 PM Post #1,626 of 2,497
Oh it sounds pretty good, don’t get me wrong I’m just spoiled by Sony and AK sound. To me even though it’s a more ‘quality’ sound it is just missing that oomph of even M0. I guess it’s just too ‘polite’ for me but the sound quality overall technically is very good. Compared to zx300, sr15, M0, AP80 it feels like there is just the slightest veil covering the sound.

Lol and the AK screen is excellent btw. I can’t even make out the 0 on the M5s screen on the total song time. It looks like pixels are missing.

That said I’d take it over the Cayin n5ii any day sound and screen.

Just my ‘subjective’ opinions. :wink:

Wait you’d have to pay 700 dollars for the M5s? I thought you were referring to the ak sr15 screen.

Yeah just over $700 to import M5S into Canada as it isn't available here yet. Musicteck is my cheapest option whether I order it direct from them, amazon.com and even ebay.ca it is all musicteck. Even if it is available here at some point it will be alot more than the US and it would need to sound perfect for me to spend that much.

Honestly a slight warmth to the M0 sound would be about right for me. Despite my previous reservations about Fiio DAP's I am tempted to demo the Fiio M6 once it gets released in Canada. Should sound similar to the M0 with close to the same power and battery life. Not to mention a much bigger screen, better bluetooth support and yes even replaygain for not much more than the M0. Much to my surprise it appears to be a very complete DAP on first release and no real issues which is a nice surprise for a Fiio DAP.

I know it won't be in the same class sound wise as the M5S but for $500.00 less than the M5S I think I could live with it. I would consider waiting for another Shanling DAP like the next M2 or M3 but with no idea when that will be it could be the next best option. Kind of tired of waiting on Shanling to get the final features added to the M0. But if they add them before I can demo the M6 then I might stick with it.

Jan 15, 2019 at 1:54 PM Post #1,627 of 2,497
Yeah just over $700 to import M5S into Canada as it isn't available here yet. Musicteck is my cheapest option whether I order it direct from them, amazon.com and even ebay.ca it is all musicteck. Even if it is available here at some point it will be alot more than the US and it would need to sound perfect for me to spend that much.

I know it won't be in the same class sound wise as the M5S but for $500.00 less than the M5S I think I could live with it. I would consider waiting for another Shanling DAP like the next M2 or M3 but with no idea when that will be it could be the next best option. Kind of tired of waiting on Shanling to get the final features added to the M0. But if they add them before I can demo the M6 then I might stick with it.

I have an m5s for in house and an M6 for portable outside duties at the minute I listen mostly to the M6 due to protective casing @Shanling again cases m5s UK?????

I really like the M6 sound wise feature wise for the money asked it is excellent.
The m5s is better in most aspects to be fair but the M6 is a winner in monetary value

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2019 at 2:29 PM Post #1,628 of 2,497

Honestly a slight warmth to the M0 sound would be about right for me. Despite my previous reservations about Fiio DAP's I am tempted to demo the Fiio M6 once it gets released in Canada. Should sound similar to the M0 with close to the same power and battery life. Not to mention a much bigger screen, better bluetooth support and yes even replaygain for not much more than the M0. Much to my surprise it appears to be a very complete DAP on first release and no real issues which is a nice surprise for a Fiio DAP.

I wouldn’t pay 700 dollars for it. Funny you said that about the m6, I just ordered one.
I too would like a bit bigger screen on my ‘active’ dap.

Jan 15, 2019 at 9:18 PM Post #1,629 of 2,497
Mine is exhibiting a strange behavior of losing volume from standby to the extent of having to restart the device to return it to normal.

This has happened 4 times today. I will try to do a soft reset and see if that helps.

Never saw this, can you try to take some video? It means there might be some damage to potentiometer in wheel, by accident sending volume down info to player from time to time.

If software reset doesn't help, please contact your seller for repair/replacement under warranty.

M5s is using AKM DAC and they have their Velvet sound approach. Compared to Sabre in M0, which always has that punch, excitement, it will of course give different sound.

@Shanling again cases m5s UK?????

When UK distributor orders them. We have them in stock.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Jan 15, 2019 at 10:05 PM Post #1,630 of 2,497
Never saw this, can you try to take some video? It means there might be some damage to potentiometer in wheel, by accident sending volume down info to player from time to time.

This has also happened to me a few times. It always seems to be when switching modes... from SD card to airplay, or SD card to DAC. Volume goes really quiet. Restart always fixes the issue. 99% sure this is a software bug.

Also, did you see my question about the possibility of getting Roon support? :wink:

Jan 15, 2019 at 10:49 PM Post #1,631 of 2,497
I certainly do - and I’ve been using them quite a bit with the M5s. And really enjoying the combination.

I’m using the Moon Audio Bronze Dragon with them though to run them balanced...

I’ve stitched some screenshots together of the EQ I’m using for the iSine 20 (to get a similar sound to the cipher cable). It really helps balance the sound and brings out the treble with a lot of airyness and clarity.

Mine
20190115_130917.jpg

Jan 16, 2019 at 1:41 AM Post #1,632 of 2,497
I have an m5s for in house and an M6 for portable outside duties at the minute I listen mostly to the M6 due to protective casing @Shanling again cases m5s UK?????

I really like the M6 sound wise feature wise for the money asked it is excellent.
The m5s is better in most aspects to be fair but the M6 is a winner in monetary value
So I guest you ( have to) buy an aditional DAP M6 (+ case) just because of no protective case for your Shanling M5s so far?:stuck_out_tongue:
If so, just take this one :grinning:
Du7aQorUwAEkRtF.jpg

Jan 16, 2019 at 3:34 AM Post #1,633 of 2,497

Glad to hear you like the M6, as do most reviews and posts on the M6 thread. I guess the only risk with the M6 is Samsung has discontinued the Exynos 7270 used in the Fiio M6/M7/M9. No word yet on what Fiio will do when they run out. They claim to have ordered a bunch but time will tell and it could affect warranty service if they don't have replacement parts.

Sorry for getting off topic, probably won't be checking this thread much going forward as the M5S is looking like less and less as an option for me.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2019 at 4:14 AM Post #1,634 of 2,497
This has also happened to me a few times. It always seems to be when switching modes... from SD card to airplay, or SD card to DAC. Volume goes really quiet. Restart always fixes the issue. 99% sure this is a software bug.

Also, did you see my question about the possibility of getting Roon support? :wink:

Is it sudden jump or slowly lowering during playback?

No plans for Roon.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Jan 16, 2019 at 4:22 AM Post #1,635 of 2,497
Is it sudden jump or slowly lowering during playback?

No plans for Roon.

It's a sudden jump. The volume wheel still works but the output is about 20% of the usual volume.

Shame about Roon - You would have been tapping into a whole new customer base there!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back