Shanling M5s now with TIDAL - Dual AK4493EQ DAC, fully balanced, Wi-Fi, 2way LDAC BT, 3.2 Touch screen, FW 3.7
Jan 13, 2019 at 8:57 AM Post #1,591 of 2,497
Was supposed to get mine yesterday but it never came. Now my tracking says a carrier delay has occurred, so I don’t know what the f is going on.

Amazon used cheap usps (parcel select) service so of course I have to wait till Monday to even see if it’s lost or whatever.

Our mail carries are certified retards, so usually I have stuff mailed to my P.O. Box but for some reason it wouldn’t take it.

I have caught my post lady several times not delivering items because they didn’t fit in the mailbox and she didn’t want to get out of the truck.

I’ve chased her down and got the items off her truck after she put a pick up at post office note in the box. I was starting a internet mail business at that time so I needed the stuff pronto to fill orders.

Then I got a PO Box.

Will keep you posted lol ha ha

Jan 13, 2019 at 9:19 AM Post #1,593 of 2,497
The popular yellow colored german delivery service and also the amazon parcel service are known for their unique powers to get everything fitting into the customers mailbox. Gladly no animals are in the parcels so there wont be much blood.

Lol yes ours stuff them full, heaven forbid you ordered a book. Like I said I usually have stuff delivered to my P.O. Box but now I’ve noticed she uses Walmart or such plastic bags to put parcels in and hang on the mailboxes- anything to not have to leave the truck.

Of course it may have never left the post office- they have a bad habit of marking stuff ‘out for delivery’ as soon as they recieve it because it affects bonuses concerning ‘on time’ deliveries. Ha ha And of course due to cutbacks they have many temps who never really learn the route and then fill in elsewhere.

And of course I have to call Amazon about my 2 day service which they charged me because the item wasn’t ‘prime’. So I will be visiting Bombay via phone soon. :wink:

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2019 at 9:29 AM Post #1,595 of 2,497
@abitdeef what color is your M5s? I think almost people in this thread get the black ones ( except 1 red M5s). What is your first impression ?

Well if I ever get it, yes it’s black. I’m very boring so I keep it simple. But the red looks wonderful. My neighbor probably has it and is trying to figure out what kind of phone it is. :)

Jan 13, 2019 at 1:14 PM Post #1,596 of 2,497
Happy New Year everybody!

Does anyone know what is the status on Replay Gain?
Not sure if my eyes are deceiving me, it seemed like it was there in the 1.x firmware but no longer in the 2.0 firmware.

@Shanling some pending bugs in FW 2.0:
  1. Unknown Album/Unknown Artist still exists, even when there is no mSD plugged in.
  2. HR folder does not list all available HR songs in library.
  3. No replay gain. Can't recall if it was there in FW 1.x.
  4. If you turn off the M5s and then charge it, you won't be able to use it while it is charging. Powering it on will only show your the charging status.

Not sure if the above has already been reported.
Thanks!

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2019 at 9:07 PM Post #1,597 of 2,497
Any update on Tidal/Spotify support

Jan 13, 2019 at 9:20 PM Post #1,598 of 2,497
Oddly enough, the only filter listed on AKM's website that's not listed in the M5s' firmware menu is the "Super-Slow Roll-Off". There is a "Super Short Delay" option. (Maybe it's mislabeled?)

Yes, seems to be just changed name by accident.

Will send them message to change it.

Is there any way to trigger USB/USB DAC once the device has been disconnected from such connection with PC with unit still plugged in? The workaround I've been using for now was to follow Golden Rule of All Troubleshooting and plug the cord out and plug it back again but maybe there is more convienient and permanent solution for this?

No way how to enable USB connection in menu, just need to reconnect cable.

I have been thinking about buying this player just have a few questions that I am not sure have been covered. I tried to use the search function but couldn't find the answer.

Does this device need burn in and if so how long time before it reaches its full potential?

:deadhorse:

We do testing run on each unit completed, about 8 hours. If any future burn in will change the sound in any way, depends who will you ask, even among our engineers.

My advice, don't follow blindly your first impressions after unboxing, listen over few days and if you have chance, let it run over nights.

I'm audiophile and any headphones/iems/players/daps, I run in for 100 hours. Not because I strongly believe in any changes, but it takes like 4 days, which I can easily wait and it gets rid of any doubts :wink:

@Shanling can you please do something with the EQ in the next updates? i've read that you recommend to Equalize only on frequency what we want, but only equalize 2 or 3 band just doesn't feel complete.

We are now working with one company producing advanced EQ, I heard testing version and standard EQ is significantly improved and we are looking into which advanced DSP/EQ effects we will include.

The popular yellow colored german delivery service and also the amazon parcel service are known for their unique powers to get everything fitting into the customers mailbox. Gladly no animals are in the parcels so there wont be much blood.

Same all around the world. Just yesterday it took me 5 minutes to get freshly delivered box of cat sand from our post box.

@Shanling some pending bugs in FW 2.0:
  1. Unknown Album/Unknown Artist still exists, even when there is no mSD plugged in.
  2. HR folder does not list all available HR songs in library.
  3. No replay gain. Can't recall if it was there in FW 1.x.
  4. If you turn off the M5s and then charge it, you won't be able to use it while it is charging. Powering it on will only show your the charging status.

1. Will ask if they can hide it when empty.
2. Depends if your understanding is the same as our software team (should be 24/88 and above). Some people/companies take 24/44 as Hi-Res, we don't.
3. Wasn't in previous versions, so far missing in our system.
4. Not how my unit acts. While charging, simple push of button will turn on device.

Any update on Tidal/Spotify support

As sad before, there is no Spotify. And will probably never be due to their policies.

Tidal in the works.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Jan 14, 2019 at 1:06 AM Post #1,599 of 2,497
Some folks give a DAP 200 hours of play time without listening. Then they try again... .

That is fine if you believe it helps but I have been listening to audio gear for 40 years and I don't find it makes a difference. If it did home audio gear would benefit the most as you have alot more and larger capacitors and other components that would allegedly have to burn in. With such small devices and mostly integrated IC's in most of them, and small low profile capacitors however few there are not really many components to burn in so how much difference can it really make?

If you do a search on it you will find as many who don't subscribe to it as those that do. Bottom line if you think it helps go for it but personally when I buy an audio product I want to listen to it right away not wait a few days to try it. Also if you don't like it right away and you let it burn in and still aren't happy you have less time to try and return it especially if it is imported.

As I've said if I don't like how it sounds right away I am not about to hope and pray it gets better. It goes back and I move on to something else. Main reason I don't own any Fiio DAP's for example.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2019 at 1:19 AM Post #1,601 of 2,497
Last night i tried the line out from M5S and the volume was set at Max Volume by default, is there any way to control the volume? I tried to scroll and it turn to no avail

We are now working with one company producing advanced EQ, I heard testing version and standard EQ is significantly improved and we are looking into which advanced DSP/EQ effects we will include.

thanks im really looking forward to it :wink:

Jan 14, 2019 at 1:38 AM Post #1,602 of 2,497
@Shanling I am having problems correcting the M5S to my car through Bluetooth. Whenever I pair it to my car it last for 1s then disconnect. I tried to switch between types of Bluetooth connection but no help. Any ideas to fix this issues? Thanks. My car is a 2016 Accord if that helps.

Jan 14, 2019 at 2:12 AM Post #1,603 of 2,497
Last night i tried the line out from M5S and the volume was set at Max Volume by default, is there any way to control the volume? I tried to scroll and it turn to no avail
thanks im really looking forward to it :wink:

One of points of Line out is to get standard line out volume and then change volume on preamplifier.
If you need to control volume on M5s, don't use lineout mode.

@Shanling I am having problems correcting the M5S to my car through Bluetooth. Whenever I pair it to my car it last for 1s then disconnect. I tried to switch between types of Bluetooth connection but no help. Any ideas to fix this issues? Thanks. My car is a 2016 Accord if that helps.

Unfortunately testing car stereo system's is way above our possibilities. I can only advice to set M5s to basic SBC codec and look into BT setting in your car.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Jan 14, 2019 at 6:54 AM Post #1,604 of 2,497
D358A5C0-0474-4AB8-B930-31497F4D939C.jpeg

Really enjoying the M5s (titanium) with the AKG n5005 (balanced). Great pairing - really musical and enjoyable!

Any chance of Roon support??? :ksc75smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back