Shanling M3X Portable Player - Our smallest Android Player
Jul 25, 2021 at 12:19 PM Post #1,292 of 2,442
Will try. Been using poweramp on 3 devices for the past couple years without any problem. Doubt it would be the cause for the drain.
I was thinking maybe it‘s getting stuck on a media scan, bad file on SD card or something like that.

Jul 25, 2021 at 1:03 PM Post #1,293 of 2,442
My M6 did the same thing yesterday. Just randomly while in standby went from 100% to 58% for no aparant reason. I found that I had set it to USB DAC mode. I changed it back to SD, rebooted it and the problem was gone. Give it a try
I did install Play store again due to the need to download my poweramp unlocker which I brought. So only poweramp and playstore installed.

Last night I left the dap on standby at 55% battery before heading to bed. Then this morning, 8 hrs later, it drops to 9%. I guess I'd contact their customer support directly and see how it goes.
hello @Shanling I'm now having the same issue on my M6 Pro 21 - Overnight with my M6 Pro 21 at 100% battery, wifi off, BT off, no music playing, USB DAC off - set to SD Card - over the course of 10 hours from 12:00 PM to 10:00 AM Battery dropped to 42% - or 58% drain in 10 hours of Standby. That's not right.

Jul 25, 2021 at 3:16 PM Post #1,295 of 2,442
Well, you are right.

Didn't uninstall poweramp, but just pull the sd card out. Now the battery hasn't drop a lick after 2 hours. Deleted anything that's not either music file or picture on the sd card. I'd see how it goes.

Hehe... That beats having to return the DAP... :sunglasses:

I hope it's fixed for you. I had something similar happen a while back on another DAP, ultimately had to reformat the SD card.

Jul 25, 2021 at 4:11 PM Post #1,297 of 2,442
Yeah, it seems that with the sd card in, it drains like crazy. Pull it out, and it no longer drains. Guess I'd format the sd card then...

Maybe format it in the player just to maximize your chances. I suppose the SD Card could actually be bad or there is a problem with the DAP card slot. Do you have another SD card to test it with?

Jul 25, 2021 at 5:26 PM Post #1,299 of 2,442
Yeah, have 2 more 400gb card lying around. Just formatted one in the dap, then run a battery test before I start copying anything.

Sounds like good plan. Good luck!

Jul 25, 2021 at 9:27 PM Post #1,300 of 2,442
Hi.
my M3X has a problem with the USB connector. I want to replace it. but don't know its specification. and where to buy? Thanks to everyone who gives advice.
Responded to your PM.

Made an account to ask some question here about my newly brought M3X limited edition. Although I have a thread up in another sub forum, I figure asking here might get better support.

I'm very satisfied with the sound. But the battery drain is a huge problem for a brand new DAP that suppose to have better battery longevity than other DAP. In fact, the battery longevity is the reason I brought the M3X to replace my hiby R5.
Well, you are right.

Didn't uninstall poweramp, but just pull the sd card out. Now the battery hasn't drop a lick after 2 hours. Deleted anything that's not either music file or picture on the sd card. I'd see how it goes.
After setting output mode from USB DAC to micro sd card, then did a full factory reset, the battery still drains a bit abnormal in standby. Dropping from 86% to 77% around an hour(my old hiby R5 only drops less than 5% in 12hrs on standby). I hate to go this path but I think I might need some official support? Maybe I should send it in to a repair shop. I brought it from HiFiGo (To Canada) and have the Chinese version (limited No. is 765/1000, came with bunch of accessories like the acrylic stand, etc.).

Yeah, for such cases the first two steps to do is:
1) Factory reset and do not install any other apps.
2) Actually do battery run with music playing. From 100% to player turning off.

This will show us if it's caused by some third party app and if the battery is actually wrong or just battery indicator messed up.

hello @Shanling I'm now having the same issue on my M6 Pro 21 - Overnight with my M6 Pro 21 at 100% battery, wifi off, BT off, no music playing, USB DAC off - set to SD Card - over the course of 10 hours from 12:00 PM to 10:00 AM Battery dropped to 42% - or 58% drain in 10 hours of Standby. That's not right.
Yeah, try factory reset and then see which app might be causing this.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Jul 26, 2021 at 1:30 PM Post #1,301 of 2,442
I think I pinpoint where the problem is. Android's "media storage" system app.

Screenshot_20210726-132433.png

This is after a fresh factory reset, without install anything, wifi and bluetooth are off, just plug in my sd card and nothing else. I've also tried 2 different sd card. As long as there's music file on it, this app starts keeping the CPU running and drains battery, even warm up the DAP a bit.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2021 at 1:53 PM Post #1,302 of 2,442
I think I pinpoint where the problem is. Android's "media storage" system app.

Screenshot_20210726-132433.png

This is after a fresh factory reset, without install anything, wifi and bluetooth are off, just plug in my sd card and nothing else. I've also tried 2 different sd card. As long as there's music file on it, this app starts keeping the CPU running and drains battery, even warm up the DAP a bit.

Are you putting all of your music back on the SD card? Maybe you have a corrupted music file somewhere. If you haven't already, maybe try just a few known good music files to start with.

Jul 26, 2021 at 2:01 PM Post #1,303 of 2,442
Currently I'm going through this process on my other SD card, with my 5k+ flac files, one album at a time. Might take quite some time to do it thoroughly (copy 1 folder/album, wait an hr to see if the battery drains abnormally, then on to the next).

edit: i've disabled both the Media Storage and Download Manager. The draining problem are gone for the past hour. Haven't noticed anything broken with the system, music playback is fine. I will see how it goes.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back