Shanling M3X Portable Player - Our smallest Android Player
May 28, 2021 at 9:29 AM Post #916 of 2,442
Have had the 3X for about two weeks now. This is my 3rd Shanling DAP, last one being an M2X. As others have stated on here, this is a very impressive device. This is my first Android DAP, so I had some user issues with loading apps. I run Amazon HD and it has been fairly flawless. I might get one 'studder' during the day (listen about 6hrs/day at my desk), otherwise perfect. The wifi strength is very good - no issues with any drop outs (but I do have a mesh wifi, so good coverage anywhere in my home). Scrolling is very smooth and fairly quick.

The most noteworthy characteristic of this DAP is the output power. On paper, the spec is good. In reality, the power seems to be much greater. I listen to an Oppo-PM3 headphone, and while it is not a particularly difficult headphone, the 3X drives these phones.. in single ended mode, with authority...on low gain (!) Balanced mode is even better. Grados sound glorious through the M3X.

I listen to any of my Moondrop IEMs, and the music is open, airy, and even holographic depending on the quality of the recording. I would recommend this DAP to anyone looking for a low cost Android DAP. The performance of this unit exceeds its low price.

May 28, 2021 at 12:41 PM Post #917 of 2,442
Have had the 3X for about two weeks now. This is my 3rd Shanling DAP, last one being an M2X. As others have stated on here, this is a very impressive device. This is my first Android DAP, so I had some user issues with loading apps. I run Amazon HD and it has been fairly flawless. I might get one 'studder' during the day (listen about 6hrs/day at my desk), otherwise perfect. The wifi strength is very good - no issues with any drop outs (but I do have a mesh wifi, so good coverage anywhere in my home). Scrolling is very smooth and fairly quick.

The most noteworthy characteristic of this DAP is the output power. On paper, the spec is good. In reality, the power seems to be much greater. I listen to an Oppo-PM3 headphone, and while it is not a particularly difficult headphone, the 3X drives these phones.. in single ended mode, with authority...on low gain (!) Balanced mode is even better. Grados sound glorious through the M3X.

I listen to any of my Moondrop IEMs, and the music is open, airy, and even holographic depending on the quality of the recording. I would recommend this DAP to anyone looking for a low cost Android DAP. The performance of this unit exceeds its low price.

Yes I noticed that, the low gain output is very powerful. I'm at vol 51 on balanced and on my r5s I had to go to about 65 to 69 depending on the song.

I've got no real complaints with this little dap. It's awesome.

May 28, 2021 at 9:18 PM Post #918 of 2,442
So anybody using Amazon HD on both this and the R5 and can compare? The comment from VolumasMaximus is intriguing.

Gotta admit it. Even though I have owned 4 Shanlings I don't have one in the box right now....Kinda miss having the brand in the stable. The last 3 were really good units (the first was unstable...).

Last edited:
May 28, 2021 at 9:32 PM Post #919 of 2,442
So anybody using Amazon HD on both this and the R5 and can compare? The comment from VolumasMaximus is intriguing.

Gotta admit it. Even though I have owned 4 Shanlings I don't have one in the box right now....Kinda miss having the brand in the stable. The last 3 were really good units (the first was unstable...).

Amazon HD is pretty much all I've been using, I'm pretty much done with Tidal. Amazon HD runs great and I haven't had any drop outs anywhere in the house. It ran great on the R5 too, but I did have drop outs sometimes when going to the basement for example.

If that's what you were asking about. :wink: In a nutshell it's as smooth as R5 and maybe even a bit quicker.

Last edited:
May 28, 2021 at 11:17 PM Post #920 of 2,442
Hi, has anyone paired the M3X with Beyerdynamic DT series headphones? Am interested in getting the DT990 Pro 250ohm headphone for my M3X, but am not sure if the 3.5mm output power for M3X is strong enough to drive the Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250ohm. Anyone any experience? Thanks.

May 29, 2021 at 9:15 AM Post #921 of 2,442
Hi, has anyone paired the M3X with Beyerdynamic DT series headphones? Am interested in getting the DT990 Pro 250ohm headphone for my M3X, but am not sure if the 3.5mm output power for M3X is strong enough to drive the Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250ohm. Anyone any experience? Thanks.
Hi,

Not with DT series but I have paired mine with HD600(300 Ohms). The output is pretty acceptable at like 100 volume on high-gain mode. But lacks the bass and slight bit of dynamics that I get with my Cayin HA-1A MK2 tube amplifier.

May 29, 2021 at 9:25 AM Post #922 of 2,442
Hi,

Not with DT series but I have paired mine with HD600(300 Ohms). The output is pretty acceptable at like 100 volume on high-gain mode. But lacks the bass and slight bit of dynamics that I get with my Cayin HA-1A MK2 tube amplifier.
Hi
Thanks for the input 🙏 So its probably not too good of an idea then to consider the 250ohm headphone 🤣

May 29, 2021 at 10:53 AM Post #924 of 2,442
May 29, 2021 at 1:41 PM Post #925 of 2,442
Did anyone have an opportunity to compare the M3X directly with DX160 or Hiby R3. I own the R3 and love it, but Android gives a few optiina which I would like to use.
Does the music app rolling affect the battery life? I remember having Sony A105, amazing DAP, but using any app other than the Walkman app shortened battery life from ober 20h to around 10.

May 29, 2021 at 2:00 PM Post #926 of 2,442
Did anyone have an opportunity to compare the M3X directly with DX160 or Hiby R3. I own the R3 and love it, but Android gives a few optiina which I would like to use.
Does the music app rolling affect the battery life? I remember having Sony A105, amazing DAP, but using any app other than the Walkman app shortened battery life from ober 20h to around 10.
I cant compare with DX160 or the R3 but there are plenty of comments in the is thread regarding the excellent sonic qualities of the M3X overall. As for battery life with both the Native Shanling App and the Hiby App I consume roughly 5% per hour from the balanced out, low gain. I tracked it pretty methodically. UAPP seems to consume more both in use and in standby but I can only say this anecdotally. I know I consume more battery with UAPP but I havent charted it to be able to say exactly what it is. I bought UAPP but have seentially gone back to the Shanling App.

May 29, 2021 at 2:58 PM Post #929 of 2,442

Battery life on both hiby music and neutron is excellent. Even streaming with Amazon HD is good with balanced out. I'm lucky if I got 6 to 7 hours streaming on the Sony.
I like the sound of the m3x more than the R5s which sounded better than the R3pro and the R3pro-s. Of course that's subjective, but coming from the R3 I'd be surprised if you didn't think it was an upgrade in sound quality.

Actually if you're talking about the original r3 and not r3pro I would consider that a 'big' upgrade.

Last edited:
May 29, 2021 at 8:39 PM Post #930 of 2,442
Unless you use the balanced out :wink:
Hi
Thanks !
Yes , the balanced out has a stronger output, but DT 990 Pro comes only with 3.5mm jack ,and a 6.5mm adapter.
Correct me if I am wrong ,but I understand even if I were to get a 3.5 to 4.4mm adapter, due to the the circuitry construction of the headphone, it will not benefit at all from the balanced output. Is that correct ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back