Shanling M3X Portable Player - Our smallest Android Player
May 25, 2021 at 9:37 AM Post #888 of 2,445
Yep used and being sold for 220 usd, would that be better than the m3x? Battery life is a big factor for me in buying a dap and m3x has really good battery life compared to m11

Be aware that the M11/M11Pro/M15 will not work with Apple Music, which may or may not matter to you.

May 25, 2021 at 9:39 AM Post #889 of 2,445
Does anyone know where extra screen protectors can be purchased? Thanks!

May 25, 2021 at 5:31 PM Post #892 of 2,445
@Shanling - My M3X doesn't always sort tracks numerically in folder view. I never have this problem with my Q1. Any idea why?

p.s. Nice DAP!
Sounds like a tagging / naming issue. What do you use as a library manager / Tagging software?
My naming convention looks like this:
Album Artist / Album Name / track # Track Name
For example - Jeff Beck / Wired / 01 Lead Boots
Having the Track number precede the track name with a space works with every player I've ever used and flawless with M3X

May 25, 2021 at 5:54 PM Post #893 of 2,445
Sounds like a tagging / naming issue. What do you use as a library manager / Tagging software?
My naming convention looks like this:
Album Artist / Album Name / track # Track Name
For example - Jeff Beck / Wired / 01 Lead Boots
Having the Track number precede the track name with a space works with every player I've ever used and flawless with M3X

I'm using folder view, so I don't think the tag metters. I use foobar to name every song file starting with the track number. I have never had any issues sorting songs numerically using this technique on any DAP before this.

May 25, 2021 at 8:38 PM Post #894 of 2,445
@Shanling - My M3X doesn't always sort tracks numerically in folder view. I never have this problem with my Q1. Any idea why?

p.s. Nice DAP!
Send me some photo on PM, hard to guess this way.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
May 27, 2021 at 9:16 AM Post #895 of 2,445
Got it yesterday, very impressed. Great sound, great battery life, and pretty damn smooth for a dap with Amazon, and hiby music. And no annoying amp clicks and pops when pausing and using YouTube and tidal like R5s. I even like the fat squat shape, it's easier to type on.

I don't like the micro SD cover, feels cheap. Rubber would have been better. I updated to 1.4 OTA no problems.

Sound compared to R5s, similar but this has a wider perceived sound stage and the mids are more lush upfront on the m3x. Treble on m3x may be a bit sharper. Very nice. R5s may have more depth. Both very nice and R5s has a little better build quality imo. Also a smaller footprint. But on sound I believe the m3x edges it out with a little more aggressive sound. Both sound really good.

But I love that this is just a bit smoother faster and no amp noises that I can hear. I really think it competes with many mid tier daps even paw 6000 sonically, maybe not driving power though. At the price it's an easy rec if you want a small android dap.
And after using it late into the night and this morning with balanced out and some wifi usage, transport usage, the battery use has been really good. Maybe even better than r5s which was very good. Output power is more on R5s at 530 mw @32 ohm. Wifi and Bluetooth performance seem very good/stable. And it seems to have a nice dark quiet background on sensitive (well my most sensitive) iems.

Which have hissed with other sources like Sony nw 300. Haven't tried Shanling app, and it would be great if they could bump it up to Oreo. But no problems with how I'm using it. Haven't tried mqa yet.

Also, I thought the led was for bit rate depth also. But all I've seen is red for charging.

20210527_085452.jpg

Last edited:
May 27, 2021 at 11:48 AM Post #897 of 2,445
Got it yesterday, very impressed. Great sound, great battery life, and pretty damn smooth for a dap with Amazon, and hiby music. And no annoying amp clicks and pops when pausing and using YouTube and tidal like R5s. I even like the fat squat shape, it's easier to type on.

I don't like the micro SD cover, feels cheap. Rubber would have been better. I updated to 1.4 OTA no problems.

Sound compared to R5s, similar but this has a wider perceived sound stage and the mids are more lush upfront on the m3x. Treble on m3x may be a bit sharper. Very nice. R5s may have more depth. Both very nice and R5s has a little better build quality imo. Also a smaller footprint. But on sound I believe the m3x edges it out with a little more aggressive sound. Both sound really good.

But I love that this is just a bit smoother faster and no amp noises that I can hear. I really think it competes with many mid tier daps even paw 6000 sonically, maybe not driving power though. At the price it's an easy rec if you want a small android dap.
And after using it late into the night and this morning with balanced out and some wifi usage, transport usage, the battery use has been really good. Maybe even better than r5s which was very good. Output power is more on R5s at 530 mw @32 ohm. Wifi and Bluetooth performance seem very good/stable. And it seems to have a nice dark quiet background on sensitive (well my most sensitive) iems.

Which have hissed with other sources like Sony nw 300. Haven't tried Shanling app, and it would be great if they could bump it up to Oreo. But no problems with how I'm using it. Haven't tried mqa yet.

Also, I thought the led was for bit rate depth also. But all I've seen is red for charging.

20210527_085452.jpg
Congrats on your new acquisition bro <3 Hope you have a great time with it

May 27, 2021 at 12:48 PM Post #898 of 2,445

20210527_085452.jpg
Nice impressions! I would agree, it's one of the best bag for buck DAPs I've heard. I'm interested in your comment about the PL6K - I've got one on the way. Its been lost in shipping for 4 weeks, but confident it WILL show up.

May 27, 2021 at 1:03 PM Post #899 of 2,445
Nice impressions! I would agree, it's one of the best bag for buck DAPs I've heard. I'm interested in your comment about the PL6K - I've got one on the way. Its been lost in shipping for 4 weeks, but confident it WILL show up.

It's got a great fast UI and a very nice neutral sound, great battery life. The EQ functions are top notch too.
The best thing is the fast stripped down UI.

To me, just not worth 1200 dollars, but I'd take it over pretty much any dap in the same price range. I like a bit more lively musical sound. It's mostly the money I've tried lots of more $$$ daps n6ii, wm1a, etc. Of course it depends on your iems/cans too, plus I prefer a smaller dap so that limits things too.

May 27, 2021 at 1:20 PM Post #900 of 2,445

20210527_085452.jpg
You basically answered all my questions. All. Earnest thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back