Shanling M3X Portable Player - Our smallest Android Player
May 29, 2021 at 8:55 PM Post #931 of 2,445
Hi
Thanks !
Yes , the balanced out has a stronger output, but DT 990 Pro comes only with 3.5mm jack ,and a 6.5mm adapter.
Correct me if I am wrong ,but I understand even if I were to get a 3.5 to 4.4mm adapter, due to the the circuitry construction of the headphone, it will not benefit at all from the balanced output. Is that correct ?

No, you need a balanced cable with 4 pole connection, a 3.5 to 4.4 will be 3 poles and a null and could actually damage the circuit.

May 29, 2021 at 9:07 PM Post #932 of 2,445
Hi
Thanks !
Yes , the balanced out has a stronger output, but DT 990 Pro comes only with 3.5mm jack ,and a 6.5mm adapter.
Correct me if I am wrong ,but I understand even if I were to get a 3.5 to 4.4mm adapter, due to the the circuitry construction of the headphone, it will not benefit at all from the balanced output. Is that correct ?
You need to get them balanced modded first

May 29, 2021 at 9:29 PM Post #933 of 2,445
Oh yeah just looked at them, wasn't familiar with them. Almost easier to buy balanced cans. Can get Massdrop HD 58xx and balanced cable cheap and that's a nice setup.

May 29, 2021 at 10:52 PM Post #936 of 2,445
On that note, I actually bought a 3.5 to 4.4 adaptor and was planning to use it on M3X with my IEMs. Is that a no no then? And just stick to 3.5 jack. Appreciate the response. Ty

No don't use it, it could short the circuit out. You need 2 grounds for the circuit, if the 4th pole is null (which it will be) it will either short out or the circuit won't be balanced.

In other words the 3.5 has a common ground for + and - . Where in a balanced circuit each get their own ground. So 3.5 has 3 poles with common ground, and 4.4 has 4 poles with positive and negative each with their own ground/return.

Kind of confusing because the 'ground' obviously isn't an earth ground but a signal ground for current flow.

For example, If you use an adapter cable from a female1/4" or 1/8" headphone jack to a balanced 4 pin XLR and connect this to a Balanced amp you are essentially shorting to ground 2 legs of the circuit making the amp single ended. This can also potentially damage your balanced amp depending on the design

Last edited:
May 29, 2021 at 11:27 PM Post #937 of 2,445
Yep, you can go balanced to singoe ended but never the other way around
Ty, tho I've been seeing folks buying and just assumed it will work. Smh. Ty for that info.
No don't use it, it could short the circuit out. You need 2 grounds for the circuit, if the 4th pole is null (which it will be) it will either short out or the circuit won't be balanced.

In other words the 3.5 has a common ground for + and - . Where in a balanced circuit each get their own ground. So 3.5 has 3 poles with common ground, and 4.4 has 4 poles with positive and negative each with their own ground/return.

For example, If you use an adapter cable from a female1/4" or 1/8" headphone jack to a balanced 4 pin XLR and connect this to a Balanced amp you are essentially shorting to ground 2 legs of the circuit making the amp single ended. This can also potentially damage your balanced amp depending on the design
Oh wow, noted. Thank you guys. I just assumed coz I've seen reviews and they said it worked. My bad. I should've known. So am better buying a 4.4 cable then?

May 29, 2021 at 11:28 PM Post #938 of 2,445
Ty, tho I've been seeing folks buying and just assumed it will work. Smh. Ty for that info.

Oh wow, noted. Thank you guys. I just assumed coz I've seen reviews and they said it worked. My bad. I should've known. So am better buying a 4.4 cable then?

Yes, the 3.5 to 4.4 is just people trying to make $$. It can get really confusing because there are 3.5 balanced trrs connectors which could be used with a 3.5 balanced to 4.4 adapter. But these are not common. You can tell the 3.5 balanced because it has 3 contact rings instead of 2.

Last edited:
May 30, 2021 at 6:37 AM Post #940 of 2,445
Hi
Thanks !
Without balanced cable you will damage the headphones using only adapter (unless it is BAL to SE adapter). You Will need balanced cable to benefit the BAL out, so you would need to mod Your DT990 to have detachable cable.

May 30, 2021 at 5:54 PM Post #941 of 2,445
Ordered a sony nwa 105 again to see if battery life has improved with firmware. Was on sale for 270, gonna test it against m3x for fun. Already know it's not going to compete in power or battery. But the Sony do have a unique sound sig and their Bluetooth usually works very well. If anything it can be a workout dap.

I like m3x over every pretty much any small dap I've tried. Only one I didn't try was sr25 but I did try Norma sr15 and astetically it was great but for the money it's been overshadowed by r3s, r5s, m3x, sonically imo. It's amazing how good the 'lower tier' stuff is.

Another snap of m3x, great album cover :wink:

20210529_001315.jpg

Last edited:
May 30, 2021 at 9:28 PM Post #942 of 2,445
Hi
Thanks !
On that note, I actually bought a 3.5 to 4.4 adaptor and was planning to use it on M3X with my IEMs. Is that a no no then? And just stick to 3.5 jack. Appreciate the response. Ty

Only use properly balanced cabled headphones with balanced output of DAP. Using such adapters to single ended 3.5mm can only risk damaging the headphones or DAP.

To be honest, I saw many Chinese vendors offering online all random cables, not caring at all that the combination they sell is impossible and can damage the connected devices. When 4.4mm was just starting, so many vendors started selling 4.4mm cables for headphones with only Single ended input and people were happily buying it

When you get first device with output that's new to you, always best to ask on forum or message the manufacturer.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
May 30, 2021 at 9:56 PM Post #943 of 2,445
Only use properly balanced cabled headphones with balanced output of DAP. Using such adapters to single ended 3.5mm can only risk damaging the headphones or DAP.

To be honest, I saw many Chinese vendors offering online all random cables, not caring at all that the combination they sell is impossible and can damage the connected devices. When 4.4mm was just starting, so many vendors started selling 4.4mm cables for headphones with only Single ended input and people were happily buying it

When you get first device with output that's new to you, always best to ask on forum or message the manufacturer.
Thank you all for all the valuable inputs . Appreciate it 🙏🙏

May 31, 2021 at 3:12 AM Post #944 of 2,445

Users who are viewing this thread

Back