Shanling M3X Portable Player - Our smallest Android Player
Jul 10, 2022 at 10:02 PM Post #2,011 of 2,442
Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Jul 27, 2022 at 8:34 PM Post #2,015 of 2,442
Ok guys I managed to root this little device :) I didnt get Viper4Android FX to work yet, the most promising version seems to be 2.7.1.0

SAFTY INFORMATION: Whatever you do, its on your own responsibility. Your warranty might be void and there is the risk of bricking your device!

So this is what I did:

1. Extract the boot.img from M3X Firmware V1.62- Do not open, just copy.zip
  2. Copy the Magisk-v25.2.apk and boot.img to your Shanling M3X
  3. Install the Magisk-v25.2.apk
  4. In Magisk press "Install" in the upper right corner
    1.png
  5. On "Method" select "Select and Patch a File" and choose your boot.img then press "Let's Go"
    2.png
  6. When Magisk is done, you can close the App and transfer the patched boot.img to your PC.
  7. On your M3X, activate Developer Mode. Settings > About device > Tap multiple times on the Build number
  8. In Developer Options, activate USB debugging
  9. On your PC extract the platform-tools.zip and install EDL.py
  10. Plug the M3X into your computer with a good USB cable. You may be promted to allow USB debugging on the M3X - check "Always allow from this computer" and OK
  11. Open a Command/Terminal window and navigate to your platform-tools folder
  12. Use following command
    Code:
    adb reboot edl
    the display of your M3X will now turn black
  13. In the Command/Terminal window navigate to your EDL.py installation
From now on you could brick your device, please advance only if you know what you are doing!
I would highly recommend to do a backup of everything with the commands mentioned on the EDL Github site
14. Use following command to dump your stock boot.img
Code:
edl r boot boot.img
the stock boot.img will appear in your EDL folder, move to a safe space.
15. Now copy your Magisk patched boot.img into the EDL folder and run following command:
Code:
edl w boot                        boot.img
16. When EDL is done, you can disconnect your M3X. You might need to hold the powerbutton for 20-30 seconds until it leaves edl mode and starts booting.
17. Congratulations! You rooted your M3X

Further information: Currently I'm trying to build a TWRP recovery but its not my main priority. I just want a usable Viper4Android systemwide EQ. I'm open for suggestions for improvement.

Have fun :)

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2022 at 9:43 AM Post #2,016 of 2,442
Ok guys I managed to root this little device :) I didnt get Viper4Android FX to work yet, the most promising version seems to be 2.7.1.0

SAFTY INFORMATION: Whatever you do, its on your own responsibility. Your warranty might be void and there is the risk of bricking your device!

So this is what I did:

1. Extract the boot.img from M3X Firmware V1.62- Do not open, just copy.zip
  2. Copy the Magisk-v25.2.apk and boot.img to your Shanling M3X
  3. Install the Magisk-v25.2.apk
  4. In Magisk press "Install" in the upper right corner
  5. On "Method" select "Select and Patch a File" and choose your boot.img then press "Let's Go"
  6. When Magisk is done, you can close the App and transfer the patched boot.img to your PC.
  7. On your M3X, activate Developer Mode. Settings > About device > Tap multiple times on the Build number
  8. In Developer Options, activate USB debugging
  9. On your PC extract the platform-tools.zip and install EDL.py
  10. Plug the M3X into your computer with a good USB cable. You may be promted to allow USB debugging on the M3X - check "Always allow from this computer" and OK
  11. Open a Command/Terminal window and navigate to your platform-tools folder
  12. Use following command
    Code:
    adb reboot edl
    the display of your M3X will now turn black
  13. In the Command/Terminal window navigate to your EDL.py installation
From now on you could brick your device, please advance only if you know what you are doing!
I would highly recommend to do a backup of everything with the commands mentioned on the EDL Github site
14. Use following command to dump your stock boot.img
Code:
edl r boot boot.img
the stock boot.img will appear in your EDL folder, move to a safe space.
15. Now copy your Magisk patched boot.img into the EDL folder and run following command:
Code:
edl w boot                        boot.img
16. When EDL is done, you can disconnect your M3X. You might need to hold the powerbutton for 20-30 seconds until it leaves edl mode and starts booting.
17. Congratulations! You rooted your M3X

Further information: Currently I'm trying to build a TWRP recovery but its not my main priority. I just want a usable Viper4Android systemwide EQ. I'm open for suggestions for improvement.

I rooted my M3x with QFIL but was never able to get Viper4Android to process. JamesDSP works fine though (with AML installed).

Jul 28, 2022 at 10:28 PM Post #2,018 of 2,442

since you are trying to build a twrp means you unlocked the bootloaded already? have you managed to be able to write to the system folders?

Jul 28, 2022 at 10:42 PM Post #2,019 of 2,442
since you are trying to build a twrp means you unlocked the bootloaded already? have you managed to be able to write to the system folders?
In edl mode I was able to write on the recovery partition. So no need to unlock the bootloader (if its even locked?! I'm not quite sure)

I just merged TWRP.img together and flashed it but it didnt worked. Next step would be to compile from source code.

Jul 28, 2022 at 10:59 PM Post #2,020 of 2,442
In edl mode I was able to write on the recovery partition. So no need to unlock the bootloader (if its even locked?! I'm not quite sure)

I just merged TWRP.img together and flashed it but it didnt worked. Next step would be to compile from source code.
most probably locked otherwise we can write to system folder already. try it, you can't even change the font. if you want to make v4a working, install selinuxmodechanger and set it to permissive on boot

Jul 29, 2022 at 7:58 AM Post #2,021 of 2,442
most probably locked otherwise we can write to system folder already. try it, you can't even change the font. if you want to make v4a working, install selinuxmodechanger and set it to permissive on boot

With Magisk you can always replace or add system files by using /data/adb/modules/<modulename>/system

(/data/adb/modules/<modulename>/ is equal here to / on the DAP)

You can use any name for <modulename> as long as it doesn't conflict with an actual Magisk module.

Magisk will "replace" existing directories and files in /system with the files in that directory by using bind mounts.

After a reboot all files in /data/adb/modules/<modulename>/system will be mapped to /system by Magisk.

Jul 29, 2022 at 8:04 AM Post #2,022 of 2,442
With Magisk you can always replace or add system files by using /data/adb/modules/<modulename>/system

(/data/adb/modules/<modulename>/ is equal here to / on the DAP)

You can use any name for <modulename> as long as it doesn't conflict with an actual Magisk module.

Magisk will "replace" existing directories and files in /system with the files in that directory by using bind mounts.

After a reboot all files in /data/adb/modules/<modulename>/system will be mapped to /system by Magisk.
yup, but it's just remapping. I'd like full control using apps like root explorer

Jul 29, 2022 at 8:13 AM Post #2,023 of 2,442
yup, but it's just remapping. I'd like full control using apps like root explorer

Totally understood. I was just offering a workaround if you really need to change something in /system. There are quite a few Android devices with read-only system partitions and remounting as read-write doesn't always work.

Jul 29, 2022 at 10:14 AM Post #2,024 of 2,442
if you want to make v4a working, install selinuxmodechanger and set it to permissive on boot.

Did you actually try that? It didn't help in my case. Do you have other modules installed?

Jul 29, 2022 at 8:43 PM Post #2,025 of 2,442
Did you actually try that? It didn't help in my case. Do you have other modules installed?
It's the only way I could make it run. search for the tutorial that uses AML and proper way to install drivers. at first I could not make it run but i remembered that I needed the selinuxmodechanger when Android 7 was the latest android version

Users who are viewing this thread

Back