Shanling M3X Portable Player - Our smallest Android Player
Feb 18, 2022 at 9:51 AM Post #1,742 of 2,447
Hey there guys! Hope you all are fine. Quick question here, are any of you Shanling M3X's owners experiencing any issues when connecting via Bluetooth?

I tried using my WF XM4's with it, I would hear the music cutting out from time to time. Do you guys possibly know what is causing this? Do I have a defective product? Or is the M3X really not just great with Bluetooth? (In terms of range, and stability of connection)

Feb 18, 2022 at 9:54 AM Post #1,743 of 2,447
Hey there guys! Hope you all are fine. Quick question here, are any of you Shanling M3X's owners experiencing any issues when connecting via Bluetooth?

I tried using my WF XM4's with it, I would hear the music cutting out from time to time. Do you guys possibly know what is causing this? Do I have a defective product? Or is the M3X really not just great with Bluetooth? (In terms of range, and stability of connection)
I have found the same issues with same earphones. Think connection just not that great on Bluetooth when in a pocket

Feb 18, 2022 at 9:59 AM Post #1,744 of 2,447
I have found the same issues with same earphones. Think connection just not that great on Bluetooth when in a pocket
Hey there! Thank you for your reply. I am really bummed out because I just bought the DAP yesterday and am having these issues. With regards to placing it in my pocket, I agree with you. However, the unstable connection also exists even if I don't place it in my pocket. I would have to hold the DAP around neck level just to get it stable. Do you think I have a defective item?

Feb 18, 2022 at 10:08 AM Post #1,745 of 2,447
Hey there! Thank you for your reply. I am really bummed out because I just bought the DAP yesterday and am having these issues. With regards to placing it in my pocket, I agree with you. However, the unstable connection also exists even if I don't place it in my pocket. I would have to hold the DAP around neck level just to get it stable. Do you think I have a defective item?
What codec are you using? I find if I switch to none ldac it improves a bit (via Sony app)

Feb 18, 2022 at 10:18 AM Post #1,748 of 2,447
I use the headphones app by Sony and set it to Priority on Stable Connection in sound/Bluetooth connection quality. It does mean using AAC though.
Alrighty will do! Thank you so much for your help on this. Lastly, I noticed my DAP had dead pixels on the upper right portion of the screen, did you experience this in any sort of way?

Feb 18, 2022 at 10:24 AM Post #1,750 of 2,447
Nope, not had that one, though I use an almost black screen saver and don't look at it much when playing.
Oh lucky you, what's funny is when I use a black screen saver the white gradients of the pixels are very visible. So, whichever wallpaper I use it is still there. I guess I have to go bring this back and get it checked. Thank you again for your help!

Feb 19, 2022 at 2:22 AM Post #1,752 of 2,447
Alrighty will do! Thank you so much for your help on this. Lastly, I noticed my DAP had dead pixels on the upper right portion of the screen, did you experience this in any sort of way?
Hi! My unit also has a dead pixel, which is conveniently located near the center of the screen. It's unfortunate with the resale value in mind, but apart from that I've already made myself at peace with it. I don't think that this issue will be deemed worthy of a refund/exchange by the dealer anyway. Although it may depend on the severity of the issue (quantity of dead pixels), I guess. If you have purchased it from a local dealer, unlike myself, you may as well try to get an exchange unit.

By the way, I've noticed that the single/dual DAC mode makes a difference in sound even when balanced connection is used. What gives? AFAIK the amplification stage can't run in balanced mode without employing both DACs due to it's architecture (ESS 9219 being an integrated DAC/Amp). Anyone else has/had the same experience by any chance?

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2022 at 7:47 PM Post #1,753 of 2,447
Oh! Im using LDAC focusing on Sound Quality (this is enabled on the setting section of the app). Should I try downloading the Sony App?

LDAC Sound quality is the most demanding codec on the signal quality, so depending on conditions it can lead to some dropouts. You can change it in Audio part of settings.

Hi! My unit also has a dead pixel, which is conveniently located near the center of the screen. It's unfortunate with the resale value in mind, but apart from that I've already made myself at peace with it. I don't think that this issue will be deemed worthy of a refund/exchange by the dealer anyway. Although it may depend on the severity of the issue (quantity of dead pixels), I guess. If you have purchased it from a local dealer, unlike myself, you may as well try to get an exchange unit.

By the way, I've noticed that the single/dual DAC mode makes a difference in sound even when balanced connection is used. What gives? AFAIK the amplification stage can't run in balanced mode without employing both DACs due to it's architecture (ESS 9219 being an integrated DAC/Amp). Anyone else has/had the same experience by any chance?

Both DACs are active at all times when using balanced output, this settings has zero impact on it.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Feb 23, 2022 at 5:06 AM Post #1,754 of 2,447
Today I found that when using my Samsung bluetooth earbud with the M3X, the volume is very low. Even when I turn the volume all the way up to 100, it is still not loud enough. I seldom use bluetooth and had no problem with the volume in the past until today. I tried it on my Samsung phone and the volume is normal. So, the issue most likely lies with M3X and it might be due to the latest firmware update. Any idea what I could do to fix or troubleshoot it?

Feb 23, 2022 at 7:58 AM Post #1,755 of 2,447
Today I found that when using my Samsung bluetooth earbud with the M3X, the volume is very low. Even when I turn the volume all the way up to 100, it is still not loud enough. I seldom use bluetooth and had no problem with the volume in the past until today. I tried it on my Samsung phone and the volume is normal. So, the issue most likely lies with M3X and it might be due to the latest firmware update. Any idea what I could do to fix or troubleshoot it?

You could try changing the "Bluetooth Absolute Volume" settings in developer options which might help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back