Shanling M3s - dual AK4490 DAC, 2.5 balanced out, aptX BT, HiBy link, USB out, FW 1.7
Oct 17, 2017 at 4:07 PM Post #679 of 2,219
I got a message from Andrew @ MusicTeck that the issue is fixable with a firmware update coming out in 1-2 weeks. i was advised it was okay not to send it out. Are you guys still sending it back? Can the Shanling representative confirm on the same?

Oct 17, 2017 at 4:39 PM Post #681 of 2,219
I’m keeping mine. I already purchased an armband for on the go exercise use. It fits perfectly. Picture forthcoming. BT isn’t a deal breaker for me, especially if a FW update will fix it.

Oct 17, 2017 at 7:39 PM Post #686 of 2,219
Recently recalled all the M3s. The initial batch of them due to bluetooth issues. Isolated as far as we know but Shanling stepped up and nipped that issue in the bud it seems. So there will be a new revisioned version in the markets in short time. I am gonna guess as early as next week. Get your credit cards handy. I got a feeling these are gonna sell like hotcakes.

You know as good as the balanced end is on this player. It was the SE that I initially heard when giving the impression against the X5iii. Punchy, spacious, dynamic, richness in tone. The sound smacks you upside your head. Makes you remember what your listening to. Lovely sound out of this player.

Another thing to point out is that the M3s was sold here in the States before it was officially launched in Asia. So the M3s in Asia are getting the fix before launch. We got a bit burned by getting them earlier for once.

Regarding M3s vs X5III, personally I'd take M3s all day and all night over X5III. I found X5III sounded overly smooth, lacking energy.

I was just thinking how cool it would be to have a player the size of the M1 with the hardware and sound of the M3s. Maybe in a year, M3 iiird!?

Pie in the sky, bro. Pie in the sky...

Oct 17, 2017 at 7:45 PM Post #687 of 2,219
I liked the shanling m3s and trying to get a different color from musictek.

But it seems dap comparisons are extremely popular. Which dap is better in SQ to another, etc. I think we as consumers enjoy products beating the crap out of one another.

Each player may be crafted to sound different. Everywhere I go on headfi I always see "is this dap better than this one". I rarely see anyone truely enjoy the purpose of the device of loving the music the device is singing to you. Rather I see people enjoy the the equipment more than music itself, hence they go beating on that dap on other threads and "upgrading".

At this point I guess I don't qualify anymore to be an audiophile and will have my card taken away.
*takes headfi card and put's on jude's desk*

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2017 at 7:53 PM Post #688 of 2,219

Indeed. People tend to misinterpret the speed at which digital technology shrinks, and think this applies to analogue as well. Good-sounding amp circuitry evolves at a much, much, MUCH slower rate.

Oct 17, 2017 at 8:00 PM Post #689 of 2,219
Another thing to point out is that the M3s was sold here in the States before it was officially launched in Asia. So the M3s in Asia are getting the fix before launch. We got a bit burned by getting them earlier for once.

Regarding M3s vs X5III, personally I'd take M3s all day and all night over X5III. I found X5III sounded overly smooth, lacking energy.

Did you post a more in depth comparison of the two somewhere already?

Oct 17, 2017 at 9:59 PM Post #690 of 2,219
As stated earlier, I am keeping my current M3s, in blue with free (!) blue leather case. BT is not a deal breaker to me, and if a FW update can fix the issue, I'm in! Also listed below are pictures of a sports armband I took a flier on...and it works! Made for a smartphone (pretty much any brand...), the M3s fits perfectly. Add in the ability for 180 degree rotation, and this is a winner. On sale for $12, it was. My go to workout unit is now pictured. Stunning, it is!

bOdIVL4.jpg

WWIETVF.jpg

IwUV7ye.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back