Shanling M3s - dual AK4490 DAC, 2.5 balanced out, aptX BT, HiBy link, USB out, FW 1.7
Oct 17, 2017 at 10:22 PM Post #691 of 2,219
I liked the shanling m3s and trying to get a different color from musictek.

But it seems dap comparisons are extremely popular. Which dap is better in SQ to another, etc. I think we as consumers enjoy products beating the crap out of one another.

Each player may be crafted to sound different. Everywhere I go on headfi I always see "is this dap better than this one". I rarely see anyone truely enjoy the purpose of the device of loving the music the device is singing to you. Rather I see people enjoy the the equipment more than music itself, hence they go beating on that dap on other threads and "upgrading".

At this point I guess I don't qualify anymore to be an audiophile and will have my card taken away.
*takes headfi card and put's on jude's desk*

Yeah, I hear you. I've heard many DAPs and find myself enjoying some less technically competent more than more expensive technically better DAPs. So yeah, I agree that there's too little importance placed on enjoyment and too much on which is "better".

Did you post a more in depth comparison of the two somewhere already?

Nope. I had X5III for a two week audition period and found the sound overly smoothed-out. It didn't inspire me to write much about it, and I sent it off without any hesitation whatsoever. Contrast that with my experience with the M3s, where I found it a bit bright at first but have found which ear/headphones in my collection have good synergy and have been satisfied using it as my daily driver DAP since receiving it.

Oct 17, 2017 at 10:27 PM Post #692 of 2,219
Would anyone know when this would be available on AliExpess? The only way i can get it in India.

Oct 17, 2017 at 11:01 PM Post #694 of 2,219
Oct 20, 2017 at 6:43 PM Post #700 of 2,219
Oct 20, 2017 at 11:05 PM Post #701 of 2,219
Tonight I tried Noble Audio Sage with the M3s, and discovered one hell of a pairing.

I'm using the Effect Ares II (non-plus) in single-ended 3.5mm. Sweet lord, this setup makes for an addictive listen.

Oct 20, 2017 at 11:25 PM Post #702 of 2,219
Tonight I tried Noble Audio Sage with the M3s, and discovered one hell of a pairing.

I'm using the Effect Ares II (non-plus) in single-ended 3.5mm. Sweet lord, this setup makes for an addictive listen.
Are you saying its worth more than just a try?

Oct 20, 2017 at 11:56 PM Post #703 of 2,219

Can't say a thing about Noble Audio Sage, but I just auditioned the Effect Audio lineup in 2.5mm balanced configuration (minus Horus) courtesy of my man Andrew at MusicTeck, and I just loved Ares II. I found it paired very nicely with my iBasso IT03. Noticeable improvement in soundstage, warmth, and smooth yet detailed treble. Just fantastic cable. I liked it more than their higher-tier cables and more than the ALO Audio Litz and Tinsel cables I've got. In fact, I couldn't resist and bought two. MMCX + 2-pin so I can use it with all of my IEM.

Ares II's characteristics are what I'd consider just about perfect for the M3s given my Sonic preferences.

Thanks to Andrew for letting me audition the lineup as part of his Effect Audio loaner program. I'd encourage anyone interested in improving the sound of their IEM to take advantage of this!

Oct 21, 2017 at 12:07 AM Post #704 of 2,219
Oct 21, 2017 at 12:09 AM Post #705 of 2,219
Wonder how much more expensive are the cables than the player itself?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back