Shanling M3s - dual AK4490 DAC, 2.5 balanced out, aptX BT, HiBy link, USB out, FW 1.7
Oct 16, 2017 at 8:02 PM Post #661 of 2,219
It's beating the ibasso DX80, Cayin N3, Fiio X1 (upgraded caps and OPA1612, OPA1642)

Is it beating the Cayin N3 by $150?

Oct 16, 2017 at 9:09 PM Post #662 of 2,219
Is it beating the Cayin N3 by $150?

In terms of sound quality? Not.

I personally prefer M3s/M2s design over N3. But with M2s, in terms of sound performance, N3 had an advantage of lower HO impedance and more refined sound. With M3s, when comparing 3.5mm output - they both sound very close (to the point where with some iems I can't even tell them apart), and M3s now has low impedance HO and a bonus BAL output (wider stage and a bit more sparkly in treble).

Oct 16, 2017 at 9:33 PM Post #663 of 2,219
In terms of sound quality? Not.

I personally prefer M3s/M2s design over N3. But with M2s, in terms of sound performance, N3 had an advantage of lower HO impedance and more refined sound. With M3s, when comparing 3.5mm output - they both sound very close (to the point where with some iems I can't even tell them apart), and M3s now has low impedance HO and a bonus BAL output (wider stage and a bit more sparkly in treble).

Thank you. I haven't heard ANY headphones in balanced mode (and the only balanced headphones I have are the Nighthawks) so I don't know what I'm missing. If I can somehow maintain my "unbalanced naivety", then I would probably be more than happy with the N3. I just have to avoid eye contact with my Nighthawks because they are looking at me with a funny face right now lol.

Oct 16, 2017 at 10:41 PM Post #664 of 2,219
For those who are curious about balanced and don't already have balanced headphones, you can pick up an inexpensive but nice pair of earbuds like the VE Monk with a balanced connector for not too much money.

There are also cheap balanced cable options if you have IEMs with standard connectors like MMCX or 0.78 2-pin.

By no means required (the difference truly is very subtle), although being fully balanced does seem like the biggest differentiating feature of the M3s vs. other players on the market.

Oct 17, 2017 at 7:01 AM Post #665 of 2,219
How does your M5 compare to the M3s in sound?

I would say that the M5 has a bit of a warmer sound. The M3s has a very vibrant sound, and I hate to use the word clarity, because that isn’t quite right. Vibrant with very clear details would be a better description.

The M5 is also vibrant but with a bit of a darker tone. I really like both, and will keep the M3s, as BT isn’t really a feature I use much. I also found a really nice armband for it, and will post pictures of it when I get home today.

Hope this helps. Both the M5 & M3s are quite brilliant DAPs in my book. One can only imagine what the “M5s” might bring to the table...

Oct 17, 2017 at 7:03 AM Post #666 of 2,219
Thank you. I haven't heard ANY headphones in balanced mode (and the only balanced headphones I have are the Nighthawks) so I don't know what I'm missing. If I can somehow maintain my "unbalanced naivety", then I would probably be more than happy with the N3. I just have to avoid eye contact with my Nighthawks because they are looking at me with a funny face right now lol.

I think you will be quite happy with the N3, as it is quite good. And for $50 less than the M2s, quite a nice bargain. I do like the M2s more, but for a value minded option the N3 is quite good.

Oct 17, 2017 at 9:21 AM Post #667 of 2,219
I would say that the M5 has a bit of a warmer sound. The M3s has a very vibrant sound, and I hate to use the word clarity, because that isn’t quite right. Vibrant with very clear details would be a better description.

The M5 is also vibrant but with a bit of a darker tone. I really like both, and will keep the M3s, as BT isn’t really a feature I use much. I also found a really nice armband for it, and will post pictures of it when I get home today.

Hope this helps. Both the M5 & M3s are quite brilliant DAPs in my book. One can only imagine what the “M5s” might bring to the table...

I agree with this and would put it this way...

M3s has a "younger" more dynamic, engaging sound with more treble presence. Great with warmer ear/headphones. I'm really liking the new control knob and balanced output with M3s.

M5 has a "more mature" warmer, smoother sound that is more balanced. Great with neutral to brighter ear/headphones. M5 is one of my favorite DAPs. Every time I listen to it, it literally puts a silly grin on my face. So yeah, I'm really looking forward to what M5s will bring.

Regarding the recall, my contact at Shanling told me it's very limited in scope. Bluetooth might not resume after the M3s wakes up from sleep mode. They were just casting a broad net with the recall to make sure nobody was dissatisfied with their M3s. I haven't seen this issue with mine, so I'm not sending it back.

Oct 17, 2017 at 9:38 AM Post #668 of 2,219
I agree with this and would put it this way...

M3s has a "younger" more dynamic, engaging sound with more treble presence. Great with warmer ear/headphones. I'm really liking the new control knob and balanced output with M3s.

M5 has a "more mature" warmer, smoother sound that is more balanced. Great with neutral to brighter ear/headphones. M5 is one of my favorite DAPs. Every time I listen to it, it literally puts a silly grin on my face. So yeah, I'm really looking forward to what M5s will bring.

Regarding the recall, my contact at Shanling told me it's very limited in scope. Bluetooth might not resume after the M3s wakes up from sleep mode. They were just casting a broad net with the recall to make sure nobody was dissatisfied with their M3s. I haven't seen this issue with mine, so I'm not sending it back.

See this right here? This is why I feel i MUST take my hat off to Shanling. Their willingness to correct potential problems by way of a recall shows that they can admit when there is an issue, and take the appropriate action to fix it. This shows that they give a damn about not only their product, but shows an appreciation for their customers. This is something that we will probably never see from the likes of Fiio, who don't give a damn about releasing flawed products or never delivering on various promises.

WELL DONE @Shanling !

Oct 17, 2017 at 10:58 AM Post #671 of 2,219
Posted this on the discovery thread. Got my player in titanium with black case. Been listening to it out of the box and I let it play all night.

I aint gonna lie. This player is no joke. Its not the X7ii I was listening to at RMAF but you would expect that from a player that don't even cost half the price.

I am listening to it in balanced out using my MEE audio PX. This sounds fantastic in balanced about as good as I have ever heard balanced out. The player has exceeded my expectation on how it sounds. Thus far it takes one of the most musical DAC chips in the AK4490. Has a fullness to the sound that I am familiar with the chips from hearing the X5iii which uses the same chips. Shanglings version however has a more dynamic quality to it that was unexpected.

I can hear the similarities in dac chips but it is the implementation here that actually sounds even more musical than the X5iii. In comparison there is a bit more lushness to the music. Stage I want to say is similar but will wait till it gets a weeks worth of use before final thoughts. Detail is there but it has a rangy fullness to the sound quality that is absolutely addictive.

Another aspect I can pick out. I think it has a darker background vs the X5iii. Sounds a touch cleaner especially in balanced mode. Sound expands accordingly in balanced. It sounds fantastic. I think guys that are willing to give this new M3s a try will be pleasantly surprised

Oh and guys that love their bass. This player spanks the X5iii in lower fuller deep bass. This is without EQ. Will have to give it more time but I can already tell the sound is more dynamic over the X5iii. Especially the bass and having a lower noise floor. And I thought the X5iii was a great value when I got it. Sure this player has no android capabilities. I couldn't care less. The SQ easily makes up for it.

Love how quick everything is on this player too. No 4 minute wait time till I can start playing music. everything is instant. With the X5iii I feel sometimes I need to stack an amp with it to get it sounding more dynamic. Not so much with the M3s. This thing is brilliant. Will have more observations as the player gets some work in. I can already tell the battery is much better on this as well.

I posted this a while back. Now in hind site. Ulitmately I love how good the balanced is out of this player. It has much more power out of balanced out vs the X5iii and has a more dynamic quality to the sound I like a lot. I don't necessarily think it is an upgrade in sonics but more a differnt take on the AK4490 chip set. I liked it enough to want to buy another when Music tech get the revisioned M3s in stock.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2017 at 11:22 AM Post #672 of 2,219
I posted this a while back. Now in hind site. Ulitmately I love how good the balanced is out of this player. It has much more power out of balanced out vs the X5iii and has a more dynamic quality to the sound I like a lot. I don't necessarily think it is an upgrade in sonics but more a differnt take on the AK4490 chip set. I liked it enough to want to buy another when Music tech get the revisioned M3s in stock.
I see thanks for the reply buddy. What's the difference in the revisioned m3s?

Oct 17, 2017 at 12:37 PM Post #673 of 2,219
Recently recalled all the M3s. The initial batch of them due to bluetooth issues. Isolated as far as we know but Shanling stepped up and nipped that issue in the bud it seems. So there will be a new revisioned version in the markets in short time. I am gonna guess as early as next week. Get your credit cards handy. I got a feeling these are gonna sell like hotcakes.

You know as good as the balanced end is on this player. It was the SE that I initially heard when giving the impression against the X5iii. Punchy, spacious, dynamic, richness in tone. The sound smacks you upside your head. Makes you remember what your listening to. Lovely sound out of this player.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2017 at 2:00 PM Post #675 of 2,219
Recently recalled all the M3s. The initial batch of them due to bluetooth issues. Isolated as far as we know but Shanling stepped up and nipped that issue in the bud it seems. So there will be a new revisioned version in the markets in short time. I am gonna guess as early as next week. Get your credit cards handy. I got a feeling these are gonna sell like hotcakes.

You know as good as the balanced end is on this player. It was the SE that I initially heard when giving the impression against the X5iii. Punchy, spacious, dynamic, richness in tone. The sound smacks you upside your head. Makes you remember what your listening to. Lovely sound out of this player.
Oh ok thanks for info again. I am looking forward to ordering one :grin:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back