Shanling M3s - dual AK4490 DAC, 2.5 balanced out, aptX BT, HiBy link, USB out, FW 1.7
Oct 13, 2017 at 11:04 PM Post #631 of 2,219
guys guys guys! snake oil or no snake oil i would sincerely advice every one to hear what they want to buy as it has been repeated ad nauseaum that sound perceptions can vary like summer and winter. Now lets wait for the M3s and M5s and ill get the zx300 in the meantime.

Oct 13, 2017 at 11:17 PM Post #632 of 2,219
I have to admit, after having used the M3s for a few days, I keep touching the screen, forgetting that this is not a touchscreen. It's a little annoying.

The sound started a little dark and after a few hours, it's changing...

Oct 13, 2017 at 11:29 PM Post #634 of 2,219
I have to admit, after having used the M3s for a few days, I keep touching the screen, forgetting that this is not a touchscreen. It's a little annoying.

The sound started a little dark and after a few hours, it's changing...

Started dark? That's the exact opposite experience from what I've had. What DAP are you coming from?

Oct 14, 2017 at 12:00 AM Post #635 of 2,219
Onkyo dp-X1a and Cowon plenue r...

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2017 at 12:01 AM Post #636 of 2,219
Might be my IEMs too, the U12 is a bit dark...

Oct 14, 2017 at 5:16 AM Post #637 of 2,219
@cj3209 : Thanks for your feedback. That means m3s has warmer or darker than COWON Plenue R. hehe. I has been listening U12 occasionally. If you don't like how U12 dark. I have 3 recommend solution for you. 1) Ortofon eartips + spacer or O-ring to fit your ear 2) APEX M15 module 3) Already Bright or neutral DAPs

Oct 14, 2017 at 6:38 AM Post #638 of 2,219
Hello all!
I recently got the M2S and have been using it as my primary device for at least month and a half (replacing my OnePlus 3T + Dragonfly Red combo). I love the form-factor and the UI, battery-life has been adequate and for the price I think it's an excellent product.
Unfortunately I have come to the conclusion that I much prefer the DFR soundsig and this last week I've used the DFR via OTG on the M2s (worked like a charm!!), the problem with this is that the combination becomes quite bulky (the main reason I wanted to ditch the phone + DFR in the first place). I was hoping someone here could chime in whether the M3S perhaps are better aligned with my preferences.
Why I prefer the DFR:
Bass is more authoritative and textured on the DFR, goes deeper as well.
Treble seems more detailed on the DFR, definitely better articulated and more extended.
The soundstage has better depth and in general seem more layered across the frequencies.

Dont get me wrong, I do enjoy the sound out of the M2s, the mid-range is absolutely liquid and both the lows and highs are really good for the price, I'm perhaps just looking for an upgrade.
For those of you who have heard the M3s and the M2s (alternatively the DFR), does it come closer to my preference in the above regard?

Thanks in advance

Oct 14, 2017 at 8:10 AM Post #640 of 2,219
Recall?? Can someone fill me in on this,as I can't find any info here.
Thanks

Here is our statement

Hello everybody, so about the recall of M3s:

The bluetooth issue was discovered among first batch of preorders that was shipped to our Chinese customers. We recalled this first batch. In rest of the world, M3s wasn't officially launched yet, some stores just started shipping them little bit early. And since only few units were actually shipped, we decided recall of this limited number of units would be preferred to assure the fully and smoothly working product for every single customer of our brand

The issue itself, apparently some problem in current build of M3s software can cause failure of BT antenna. Of course I asked our engineers if simple Firmware update could fix this, but I was told, they need to change the software of player on "deeper level" by our software tools.

Whole Shanling team is working on M3s and we hope to get fixed units to distributors around the world as soon as possible. I will keep you updated, so you can get your M3s ASAP.

Sorry for all the caused problems, we simply want to deliver the best product to you.

Frankie

To everybody, this is no serious issue, if you wish you can keep your device. Don't worry, it will not explode or anything :D
We just found out one mistake and wanted to fix it for everybody.

Also on topic of balanced circuit. I will not tell you how some other companies do it, but in M3s, it's truly balanced set-up. When you switch to balanced output, signal goes through two separate circuits, that's why we have dual DAC, dual amp. That's reason why battery life takes such a blow when running balanced, you are pretty much using two M3s instead of one in that moment.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Oct 14, 2017 at 9:33 AM Post #641 of 2,219
Also on topic of balanced circuit. I will not tell you how some other companies do it, but in M3s, it's truly balanced set-up. When you switch to balanced output, signal goes through two separate circuits, that's why we have dual DAC, dual amp. That's reason why battery life takes such a blow when running balanced, you are pretty much using two M3s instead of one in that moment.

So, then, in SE, there's only one DAC serving it? Or it is a dual mono configuration?

Oct 14, 2017 at 12:30 PM Post #642 of 2,219
Here is our statement

To everybody, this is no serious issue, if you wish you can keep your device. Don't worry, it will not explode or anything :D
We just found out one mistake and wanted to fix it for everybody.

Thank you!

This explains more than most papers usually do! :smile_phones:

Oct 14, 2017 at 12:45 PM Post #643 of 2,219
Here is our statement

We just found out one mistake and wanted to fix it for everybody. [/QUOTE]

Thank you!

This explains more than most papers usually do! :smile_phones:

Yes, thanks for providing some explanation. M3s is a great DAP and people want to buy work confidence. Reading how Shanling is working hard to correct a minor issue should give people that confidence!

Oct 14, 2017 at 1:13 PM Post #644 of 2,219

I'm hearing really good things with M3s balanced out to iBasso IT03 + Effect Audio Ares II cable in balanced configuration. The Ares II balanced cable provides an immediately noticeable improvement over both my ALO Litz and Tinsel cables in balanced configuration. In fact, my wallet is happy because I got to try the entire Effect Audio lineup but I preferred Ares II over the other, more expensive options. Niceeee!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back