Shanling M3s - dual AK4490 DAC, 2.5 balanced out, aptX BT, HiBy link, USB out, FW 1.7
Oct 22, 2017 at 7:42 PM Post #736 of 2,219
Way to go MusicTeck!

That said, now that Shanling is putting the FW updates files on Google Drive, the download speed was blazing fast. Thanks for doing that @Shanling!

I updated but had to take the wee boys to a Halloween party, so I haven't had a chance to listen yet. Anybody have thoughts on it yet?

Prior to updating my solution to the problem of bluetooth turning itself on was to do a factory reset and never turn bluetooth on after that.

Following the update, I've used bluetooth and have not (so far, fingers crossed) experienced the problem of it turning itself on.

Oct 22, 2017 at 8:19 PM Post #739 of 2,219
You sold DX200 and M3S is your backup, so which one is your main DAP?
Well i'm a craziest guy on headfi. I bought 1A again :D. I know DX200 is better than 1A but i still prefer 1A over it. I like the sony sound, battery, stay cool day and night, especially 4.4mm connector. I know AMP4 with 4.4mm connector is coming out but the lagging OS and short battery kept me stay away from DX200. I could purchase the 1Z but it's too heavy for my needed. It sounds great but i don't think its worth the extra money for it.
Beside the main dap, i always look for a small backup to use when i go to sleep or when i need light weight without backpack. I jumped around with walnut v2, n3, m2s, opus1 and now m3s. I think i finally found the one i was looking for. A small dap with both 3.5mm and 2.5mm connector and a unique wheel control :D

Oct 22, 2017 at 9:14 PM Post #741 of 2,219
I don't have both now cus i sold dx200 ad returned m3s. So cant tell exactly. Base on my memory, DX200 w/amp3 is warmer, bassier and bigger soundstage than M3S. M3S is really harsh to my ears when i paired it with my A18. It added more sparkles, so everytime i used it with A18 i have to turn on EQ to make it smoother. I'm a person that doesnt use EQ but only with this M3S i have to.
You can look at the price of both and see that for sure DX200 will be better than M3S. With DX200 you can change the AMP to fit your preference or streaming with app like sportify, tidal, etc.
But nothing is perfect, DX200 has great sound but the OS is really lag for me. For example, in Mango Mode, when i hit the play button on the screen 3 times, it jumped to 5 or more songs. It has slow response when i touch, swipe left or right.
Well, even M3S is not as good as DX200 but i still like it. Of course its not my main dap, Its my backup one. But everytime i go out, i like to bring it with me. I like the form of it. Its small, so i can easily put into my pocket. And the design is beautiful. I like the wheel alot, its so unique to me.
Now im waiting to get a replacement from Musicteck. Hopefully i will get it later next week. I have a 2.5mm Shozy BK will deliver tomorrow. I wanna see how it pair will M3S :).

About DX200 and lag, what I do is I don't use pure mode / Mango mode, but I use Android mode. It is about as fast as my smartphone .

Oct 22, 2017 at 10:15 PM Post #742 of 2,219
FW update to 1.1 took about a minute, including the download from Musicteck. I did not check the BT problem (don't use BT much with this), but the "resume" function (#2) from the lock screen now functions for me. I did not have the other problems (#'s 3 & 4), either.

I am now enjoying Santana's African Bamba through the M3s, iFi Pro iCAN & thinksound ON2's. Quite the dichotomy of price(s) and sounds. Running all settings flat on the Pro, the M3s is just superb. Vibrant, clear and a solid bass line provided by the ON2. Add the bass settings, which I like the best so far & 3D (40Hz, 90/60+), and this is stunning. I am a very lucky man right now.

One could assume that the iFi aspect certainly enhances the M3s sound quality, a bit. Or at least allows the fullest potential to it's abilities. Kind of like that extra keeper training at practice, which allows you to save that far post free kick in the dying moments of the game...and a stellar save it was.

Oct 22, 2017 at 10:47 PM Post #744 of 2,219
Heh. A marginally more portable setup that I've been using off and on:

IMG_0358.jpg

(M3S + ALO CDM)

Adding warmth to the M3S seems to help (for my taste). Of course, in portable use it's more practical to use EQ : )

Oct 24, 2017 at 12:25 AM Post #745 of 2,219
Heh. A marginally more portable setup that I've been using off and on:

(M3S + ALO CDM)

Adding warmth to the M3S seems to help (for my taste). Of course, in portable use it's more practical to use EQ : )

Ooh, niceeee! I tried ALO CDM at a local mini meet in Portland. I really liked it but haven't felt like shelling out the cash required to get one. I can see how it would be complementary with respect to the M3s.

On another note, the firmware update went smoothly and I'm happily listening to the M3s. Thanks for the quick update @Shanling!

Oct 24, 2017 at 8:52 PM Post #746 of 2,219
Just pre-ordered this from Jaben and it will be my first DAP. I have never owned even the ipod and I've always played music via my phone. I'm now playing flac and line-out to a fiio a3. Tell me It's going to be a world of a difference.

Oct 24, 2017 at 9:15 PM Post #747 of 2,219
Just pre-ordered this from Jaben and it will be my first DAP. I have never owned even the ipod and I've always played music via my phone. I'm now playing flac and line-out to a fiio a3. Tell me It's going to be a world of a difference.

It probably will make a significant difference, but you may need decent ear/headphones to fully appreciate the difference.

Oct 24, 2017 at 9:25 PM Post #748 of 2,219
It probably will make a significant difference, but you may need decent ear/headphones to fully appreciate the difference.
Yup, I am using 1more triple drivers now, and have join the MD Universal Plus drop. I also have Denon ADH2000 and Goldring DR150 as well. But they are old cans, I used to be into them stopped

Oct 24, 2017 at 10:20 PM Post #750 of 2,219
can I check something with you guys, this is an micro-SD card or SD card slot cause in the website it says TF card.
--edit--
sorry, TF means Micro SD card. Got it

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back