Shanling M3s - dual AK4490 DAC, 2.5 balanced out, aptX BT, HiBy link, USB out, FW 1.7
Oct 25, 2017 at 4:08 PM Post #754 of 2,219
Is musicteck still offering free case with m3s? However I just checked on their site but looks like the dap is out of stock. :triportsad:

Oct 25, 2017 at 4:21 PM Post #755 of 2,219
So, how about someone comparing the sound quality to the Opus#1 and/or Aune M1s now? What's the differences and similarities?

Oct 25, 2017 at 5:32 PM Post #756 of 2,219
Okay, here's a fun bug. It seems that if I delete an album it becomes impossible for the M3S to recognize that album again if I copy it back to the card and re-scan.

I found this while trying to fix the spelling of Diamanda Galás's name (one of my rips was missing the accent, so she showed up twice, as Diamanda Galás and as Diamanda Galas. I updated the metadata on those tracks and re-scanned, but the name wasn't updated on the Shanling. So, I tried deleting the album, scanning, re-adding the album with the corrected metadata, and scanning again.

The result this time? The album entirely fails to register. Could still get to it through folders, but not through artist/album. As though it wasn't on the card at all.

The only thing that works so far (other than a factory reset, which I didn't feel like doing right now) is to copy the files to a new folder, and then update the album metadata to something different. In this case the album is titled "At Saint Thomas the Apostle Harlem," and that's the one thing I cannot have in the album metadata for those tracks if I want the Shanling to recognize them.

Obviously not the end of the world, but a little bit crazy-making.

Oct 25, 2017 at 5:42 PM Post #757 of 2,219
Oh, bonus fun: when I tried to play the first track, I got an audible glitch (a burst of static-y noise). This is not present if I play the copy of the track that's on my PC. So maybe the process of changing the metadata is corrupting the files somehow? That also seems hilarious.

But deleting the files and bringing over a new copy from the PC (having changed the album title to a different dummy name to ensure it will be recognized) seems to work? Fingers crossed, anyway.

Oct 25, 2017 at 9:02 PM Post #758 of 2,219
Oct 25, 2017 at 9:47 PM Post #759 of 2,219
Oct 26, 2017 at 6:31 AM Post #761 of 2,219
So guys m3s vs x5-III which is better in every aspect ?

It won't be that straightforward to compare them, X5-3 comes with Android, Touchscreen, and a few other bells and whistles, and the sound is supposedly different from the start; X5-3 is smooth with a maybe too gentle treble, while M3s is seemingly vibrant and energetic, I think your tastes will play the biggest role here.

Oct 26, 2017 at 8:49 AM Post #762 of 2,219
It won't be that straightforward to compare them, X5-3 comes with Android, Touchscreen, and a few other bells and whistles, and the sound is supposedly different from the start; X5-3 is smooth with a maybe too gentle treble, while M3s is seemingly vibrant and energetic, I think your tastes will play the biggest role here.
I am more towards trance and progressive house, some times pop. what would you think will be better for these genres.

Oct 26, 2017 at 9:53 AM Post #763 of 2,219
I am more towards trance and progressive house, some times pop. what would you think will be better for these genres.

Hm... I think that only you know how much treble you like with your music :darthsmile:

I like treble with all my music, including house. It gives it a wider soundstage and more excitement, making all music sound more upbeat. X5-3 being smooth will make things sound laid back and relaxing, maybe if you prefer a more relaxing experience with your music, X5-3 would be more of your thing. Again, a lot of choice here. I do like neutral signatures better, when it comes to my DAPs, so I cannot recommend X5-3 for its sound, but it is an amazing device overall. Those differences will not matter if you're using an external amp, since that will do the colorinug of the sound. M3s has similar abilities with M2s when it comes to its hardwarew and software,. so it should do a lot of fun stuff, like hiby connect and such, while X5-3 is already Android.

Also, X5-3 is touch vs M3s which has a control wheel, I think they are quite different. The price should be pretty different as well...

Oct 26, 2017 at 10:32 AM Post #764 of 2,219
Hm... I think that only you know how much treble you like with your music :darthsmile:

I like treble with all my music, including house. It gives it a wider soundstage and more excitement, making all music sound more upbeat. X5-3 being smooth will make things sound laid back and relaxing, maybe if you prefer a more relaxing experience with your music, X5-3 would be more of your thing. Again, a lot of choice here. I do like neutral signatures better, when it comes to my DAPs, so I cannot recommend X5-3 for its sound, but it is an amazing device overall. Those differences will not matter if you're using an external amp, since that will do the colorinug of the sound. M3s has similar abilities with M2s when it comes to its hardwarew and software,. so it should do a lot of fun stuff, like hiby connect and such, while X5-3 is already Android.

Also, X5-3 is touch vs M3s which has a control wheel, I think they are quite different. The price should be pretty different as well...
Thank you for the detail explanation, and yeah now i know the exact differences between these too. I don't really lean towards relaxing sound which definitely left me.with a option of m3s and both daps has their own features exclusive so directly they cant compare. In my country price different is not too much as i ordered M3s for like $270 and x5 III is for $360 here.

Oct 26, 2017 at 10:35 AM Post #765 of 2,219
Thank you for the detail explanation, and yeah now i know the exact differences between these too. I don't really lean towards relaxing sound which definitely left me.with a option of m3s and both daps has their own features exclusive so directly they cant compare. In my country price different is not too much as i ordered M3s for like $270 and x5 III is for $360 here.

Well, you still save 100$ with M3s. If you prefer a more energetic sound, it should make a safe and happy choice for you!

Hiby link is extraordinairy as it can do a ton of fun stuff, and I have actually been using it with M2s quite a lot!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back