Shanling M3s - dual AK4490 DAC, 2.5 balanced out, aptX BT, HiBy link, USB out, FW 1.7
Mar 21, 2018 at 1:14 AM Post #1,606 of 2,219
https://www.themasterswitch.com/best-digital-audio-players

The M3S is the reason I sold my WM1A. Simply put, the M3S sounded better. Made it very hard to justify holding on to the Sony. I'm really not surprised it's ranked above the WM1Z also. This fits with my thinking that the magic is in the implementation of these chipsets. It's not always price = better

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2018 at 10:32 PM Post #1,607 of 2,219

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2018 at 7:41 AM Post #1,609 of 2,219
https://www.themasterswitch.com/best-digital-audio-players

The M3S is the reason I sold my WM1A. Simply put, the M3S sounded better. Made it very hard to justify holding on to the Sony. I'm really not surprised it's ranked above the WM1Z also. This fits with my thinking that the magic is in the implementation of these chipsets. It's not always price = better
There's a bit of hype with WM1A. I didn't find it particularly special. I thought it had that typical Sony S-master sound that I've experienced before with the past models.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2018 at 10:46 AM Post #1,610 of 2,219
There's a bit of hype with WM1A. I didn't find it particularly special. I thought it had that typical Sony S-master sound that I've experienced before with the past models.
Listening is always the way to dispel 'hype.' I did that which is why I have both M3s and WM1A. I don't agree with that top DAP list ranking. While I love my M3s, I prefer the WM1As via my EE Zeus XRAs. IMHO the WM1A has a better soundstage and a 'you are there' quality. Lack of a touch screen is another reason I don't reach for the M3s all the time.

Cheers!

CJ
:)

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2018 at 11:14 AM Post #1,611 of 2,219
Listening is always the way to dispel 'hype.' I did that which is why I have both M3s and WM1A. I don't agree with that top DAP list ranking. While I love my M3s, I prefer the WM1As via my EE Zeus XRAs. IMHO the WM1A has a better soundstage and a 'you are there' quality. Lack of a touch screen is another reason I don't reach for the M3s all the time.

Cheers!

CJ
:)
I've listened to it. It didn't sound as resolving as other players close or above the pricepoint(just didn't sound anything particularly special really), but a bit smoothed out in sound. It's like other S-Master DAPs I've tried, perhaps tad better, but pretty similar. I've listend to all kinds, TOTL AKs(non-TOTL), Opus #2(#1 and #3), LPG(5000 also), DP-X1, so I know what I'm hearing. I returned the 1A soon after as it was not worth the cost per performance. At the time when I compared, I had many DAPs on hand.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2018 at 11:25 AM Post #1,612 of 2,219
I am far from being a Sony fanboy but the WMA1 needs some burn in as, I believe, most DAPs do.

Mar 22, 2018 at 12:36 PM Post #1,613 of 2,219
I burned my WM1A in over 350 hrs and still sold it. I agree that the Sony DAPs are mostly about hype, although they are well built with great software. The sound just didn't live up to the hype imo.

Re the WM1A i think the only thing it has on the M3S is width/depth of the soundstage. In terms of clarity, note weight, timbre, layering, and sounding natural, the M3S was better. It also drives my higher impedance headphones, which the WM1A failed at though it supposedly has more power than the M3S (another aspect that comes down to implementation). When I'd switch between the two DAPs the stark contrast became apparent quickly. It's not like differences take all of this time to notice.

Mar 25, 2018 at 2:02 AM Post #1,617 of 2,219
I think that's normal. I don't know what is actually clicking though. I think it is just when the first song begins, and when you shut the unit off. Is that what you get?

It's a physical internal clicking sound after the screen is off and after pausing. If that's normal. Then that's fine by me.

Mar 25, 2018 at 2:06 AM Post #1,618 of 2,219
It's a physical internal clicking sound after the screen is off and after pausing. If that's normal. Then that's fine by me.
Internal switches clicking on and off. Its normal and nothing to be afraid of.

Mar 25, 2018 at 2:10 AM Post #1,619 of 2,219
Internal switches clicking on and off. Its normal and nothing to be afraid of.

Oh. That's great. I can keep my M3S. Thank you so much.

Mar 25, 2018 at 8:44 PM Post #1,620 of 2,219
hi, i had my m3s for almost a month. yesterday suddenly my wheel didnt function properly. it cant "click" whenever i try to press the button wheel. but for the volume scroll, it still normal. how can i fix it by myself? since it wasnt major error i think.

btw, 2 or 3 weeks ago, the player slips from my hand, and it scratches a bit outside. i hope my problem is not from this accident. i love my m3s as u can see in my instagram @portapro ,hehe. i hope there's solution for my minor problem with m3s. cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back