Shanling M3s - dual AK4490 DAC, 2.5 balanced out, aptX BT, HiBy link, USB out, FW 1.7
Nov 3, 2017 at 11:03 PM Post #916 of 2,219
IMG_5440.JPG
5JcNP

I'm starting to feel that i'm the only one who don't think that the m3s are bright. Changing the filters doesn't seem to make a big difference for me so i'm just staying with the sharp filter.

One thing to note is M3s case is a bitch to remove, the tempered glass that came with it has a factory defect. I checked with a few of the other tempered glass and it all have the same defect. At the upper left of it there's a small crack. Could be production line issue.
Yea that crack is kinda annoying :confused: I thought i cracked it by accident after throwing it into my bag.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2017 at 11:13 PM Post #917 of 2,219
Nov 3, 2017 at 11:37 PM Post #918 of 2,219
Catching up...

This color combo is lit.

That was the combo Shanling was supposed to send me :disappointed_relieved:

May I know if you are using iBasso IT03 + Effect Audio Ares II cable pairing with m3s?

Yup

I still don't have both M3s and AP200, I have AP200 and M2s. Comparing the two, both are really nice Hiby based DAPs!

Could you please tell me more about the differences between Ap200 and m2s? Which one is better? Im considering three of the DAP, Ap200, m2s and m3s. Not sure which one to go for TT

Ok. I've got to set this straight because I've got both DAPs at my disposal. I'M HOPING Shanling has "best in class" Hiby-based GUI for non-touchscreen DAPs. It's fantastic!

AP200 is an Android DAP that merely uses the Android Hiby app for music playback. I was completely taken aback when I saw this. It's so feature-poor that I was shocked. I asked if Hidisz would add him more features like Cayin and FiiO did in their Android DAPs, but Hidisz never responded. Sound is okay, but for the price I'd rather recommend something like the iBasso DX80, Opus #1, Shanling M3s, or the upcoming N5ii (which I just got in recently for beta testing). I have a hard time recommending the AP200 at all based on what I've seen and heard and completely understand that saying this means Hidisz will probably blacklist me which is no sweat off my back.

UI is a lot easier to navigate though not as good as my ipod but its already quite easy and smooth to operate. First thing that came to my mind is its less bright than my X1 but that's not to be confirmed. Bass seems to be tighter. Will need more time before i can come to a conclusion for the sound.

Are you saying FiiO X1 is brighter than M3s to your ears? I find that very surprising given what I've heard of X1 compared to the many DAPs I've heard.

I REALLY like my M3s, and use it 75-80% of the time. Either paired with my FLC8S, UM Martian or Kinera H3. To me, the M3s was the perfect upgrade from the M1.

That said, my M5 is just superb, and I like it the best of the theee. Not as portable for workouts, but oh my, the mature sound....just wow.

Yes, M5 is such a refined, mature, smooth yet detailed sound. It's the type of sound FiiO X5III was obviously shooting for but failed to achieve, lol.

Thats why some of us are waiting on the m5s :wink:

Considering what we've seen with with current generation Shanling DAPs, M5s should be an absolutely beautiful DAP both in sound and in aesthetics!

Sorry the M5 is absolutely hideous...

BLASPHEMER!!!

Nov 3, 2017 at 11:45 PM Post #919 of 2,219
5JcNP

I'm starting to feel that i'm the only one who don't think that the m3s are bright. Changing the filters doesn't seem to make a big difference for me so i'm just staying with the sharp filter.

Yea that crack is kinda annoying :confused: I thought i cracked it by accident after throwing it into my bag.

lol. Nope. It's not bright. In fact, it's slightly on the warm side. It just has a little extra treble energy compared to much warmer DAPs. And if your headphones tend towards bright or peaky treble, then the M3s may nudge it over the edge. But if you have smoother better balanced headphones, you probably won't even notice this. :D

It's neither good or bad, just a choice of tuning, and as always, pairing is important.

Nov 4, 2017 at 12:07 AM Post #921 of 2,219
Whether or not it's bright depends on personal preference, sensitivity, and experience with other DAPs. I do find it on the bright side, but not overly so. It conveys a good deal of detail and has nice soundstage.

I still say it's more to do with the headphone. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Nov 4, 2017 at 1:41 AM Post #923 of 2,219
That's fine, we can agree to disagree. Warm sound signature does not preclude brightness. Dark sound signature does, but not warm sound signature...
Agree with this too. The ones that gives brighter also have a totally different bass response. It was bit more smoother and more at the back. I tried it with hd650, this is the same feel. Slightly brighter, and bass frequency more at the back giving it a wider soundstage.

Nov 4, 2017 at 2:36 AM Post #924 of 2,219
Bros, try lifting up the front lip at the top of the case a slight bit while taking the M3s out of the case, and I bet you'll avoid damaging the tempered glass. I haven't even put the tempered glass on. I'm just storing the M3s in a cheap, lightweight, weatherproof, foam-filled plastic case from AliExpress. The M3s fits perfectly and stays nice and safe while not in use.

cooyoo case.jpg

Nov 4, 2017 at 2:42 AM Post #925 of 2,219
Bros, try lifting up the front lip at the top of the case a slight bit while taking the M3s out of the case, and I bet you'll avoid damaging the tempered glass. I haven't even put the tempered glass on. I'm just storing the M3s in a cheap, lightweight, weatherproof, foam-filled plastic case from AliExpress. The M3s fits perfectly and stays nice and safe while not in use.

Hey, I've got those boxes as well (all three colors) and they're indeed great when transporting DAPs, portable amp/dac's and even expensive IEM's.

Nov 4, 2017 at 2:43 AM Post #926 of 2,219

What? No link? That makes me sad. :cry:

Nov 4, 2017 at 2:54 AM Post #928 of 2,219

Hey, I've got those boxes as well (all three colors) and they're indeed great when transporting DAPs, portable amp/dac's and even expensive IEM's.
I have them too and they are really light weight and tough at the same time. And they are pretty cheap too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back