Shanling M2x - TIDAL || Wi-Fi || Both-way LDAC BT & BT Transmitter || Advanced USB transport || FW 2.7
Oct 28, 2019 at 12:21 PM Post #377 of 714
Okay so I bought M2X (I also own M0 but it's a bit too small and freezes from time to time). I won't talk about the sound because my ears can hardly hear a difference between this and my phone, I'll focus entirely on the software and build quality.

1. USB DAC is great. In M0 there was a small delay but there is zero delay with M2X.
2. I love the glassy back. It gives it that premium look :smile_phones:
3. I don't really like the volume knob compared to M0. It's way too sensitive and a bit too easy to press. In M0 it's impossible to change the volume by slightly touching the knob but it's easy to do so in M2X. Because of this I often find myself changing the volume by 1 or 2 when waking the device. When you rotate the knob in M0, every next volume level is very apparent. In M2X it's more constant, smooth move.
4. Next track/previous track are harder to press than the pause/play button and they make that satisfying "click" sound while the middle button doesn't. I don't like this inconsistency. The middle button is a bit wider than the next/previous buttons but the difference is not big enough to feel it under your finger. The buttons could be a little more protruding but that's personal preference I guess.
5. Rewinding/fast-forwarding with the physical buttons is kinda weird. Firstly, you don't hear the music when doing it, so you don't know when to stop rewinding. I guess that's the only way the processor is able to handle it. Secondly, it works only if you're in the "now playing" screen.
6. This "Wi-Fi file transfer" :8888 website is in Chinese (which is weird because I use English in the player).
7. It's great we can name our playlists unlike in the M0, but why we cannot rename them after they are created?
8. I said it in the M0 thread and I'll say it again. It would be great if you gave us an option to turn off icons in the song lists so we can see more characters. This horizontal name scrolling it hard to pull off, I usually end up scrolling the list vertically.
9. It adds a weird space before "【" even tho there is no space in the file name. https://i.imgur.com/749HJNf.jpg
10. There are some characters it doesn't read (although they are quite uncommon so I don't blame them). For example "[Promare OST] Λsʜᴇs" looks like this - https://i.imgur.com/fbyxKVp.jpg
11. Didn't measure it with a stopwatch in my hand but feels like it scans files a bit slower than the M0? Kinda weird but not a bit deal.
12. It also applies to the M0 but I wish there was an option to turn off displaying album covers. I feel like it would speed up things a little.
13. I'm sad there is no Replay Gain. Come on, Shanling. It's 2019. Cheaper DAPs have it.
14. Update via wifi doesn't work. Or maybe it works but there is no progress bar so no way to tell if the device is downloading the update or not.
15. Songs sent through wifi transfer don't show up in the "Recently Added".

Overall score: 7/10.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2019 at 11:36 AM Post #378 of 714
Hi all... So I've been a happy Shanling M2s owner for a couple of years and it's time to replace it. I just went through all 26 pages of this thread and was surprised to find no comparison between the M2s and M2x, I'm not really sure why that's the case...? Is no one using the M2s anymore? o: It's a great player. In any event I'm trying to figure out how they compare. M2x specs show that its bigger, does it feel much bigger and heavier in the hand? I do like the nice small M2s size. How about sound quality comparison? I'm also wondering about power... is it more powerful, does it drive headphones better? (sorry I'm not sure of the right terminology here, power output? I use Etymotic ER4XR headphones, I think it can drive them well? but anyway I'm curious as I may get another pair).

I also wonder about how the M3s and M2x compare on the same criteria: size/feel, sound quality, power. I've read that the M3s is essentially an improved, larger version of the M2s. So I'm confused about which is the superior player, the M3s or the M2x. I do enjoy the UI of the M2s and I'm not sure how much I'd like the touchscreen of the M2x, but the interface has to be secondary to the sound quality (and size), so that's what I'm most concerned with. :)

Thank you for any thoughts!!

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2019 at 12:04 PM Post #379 of 714
Hi all... So I've been a happy Shanling M2s owner for a couple of years and it's time to replace it.
Why? is it broken? Below is a comparison.
I was traveling with my M2S all day yesterday. Still sounds fantastic with my IEM's. There is nothing missing.

Shanling M2s Specs
  • Dimension:53mm×14.5mm×85.6mm
  • Screen:3 inches retina HD screen(480X800)
  • Weight:100 g
  • D/A converter:AK4490EQ
  • Gain compensation: High gain, Low gain
  • Low pass filtering : MUSES8920
  • Battery life: >9H
  • Rated output level: 2.2VRMS@10KΩ
  • Output power : 130mW@32Ω /12mW@300Ω
  • Frequency response: 20Hz~20kHz(-0.2dB)
  • THD+N : 0.003%(A-weighting,outputing 500mV)
  • SNR : >108dB(A-weighting)
  • Dynamic range: >108dB
  • Output impedance : 4.8Ω
  • Channel separation : >75dB(32Ω,1kHz)
  • Capacity: 1800mAH lithium battery
  • Playing hours : about 9--10 hours(3--4hours charging time)
  • Sampling rate : up to 384kHz / 32 bit, DSD 128

M2X Specifications
  • Screen: 3.2 inch touch screen with MTouch 2.0 system
  • Dimensions: 98 x 60 x 16 mm
  • Weight: 147 g
  • Memory: Single micro SD card slot
  • DAC: AKM AK4490EN
  • Amp: 2 x AD8397
  • Low-pass filter: TI OPA1612
  • Decoding: PCM up to 32bit/384kHz, DSD up to DSD256
  • Battery: 2400 mAh, fully charged in 2.5 hour
  • Playback: 10.5 hours (SE), 7.5 hours (Bal)
  • Output 3.5mm: 180mW(16Ω, high gain)/106mW(32Ω, low gain)
  • Output 2.5mm: 212mW(16Ω, high gain)/120mW(32Ω, low gain)
  • Output impedance: 1 Ohm (3.5mm), 2 Ohm (2.5mm)
  • SNR: 117 dB (3.5mm), 116 dB (2.5mm)
  • Channel separation: 70 dB (32 Ohm, 3.5mm), 107 dB (32 Ohm, 2.5mm)
  • Bluetooth 4.2, two-way connection
  • USB DAC function

Oct 31, 2019 at 12:09 PM Post #380 of 714
Why? is it broken? Below is a comparison.
I was traveling with my M2S all day yesterday. Still sounds fantastic with my IEM's. There is nothing missing.

Shanling M2s Specs
  • Dimension:53mm×14.5mm×85.6mm
  • Screen:3 inches retina HD screen(480X800)
  • Weight:100 g
  • D/A converter:AK4490EQ
  • Gain compensation: High gain, Low gain
  • Low pass filtering : MUSES8920
  • Battery life: >9H
  • Rated output level: 2.2VRMS@10KΩ
  • Output power : 130mW@32Ω /12mW@300Ω
  • Frequency response: 20Hz~20kHz(-0.2dB)
  • THD+N : 0.003%(A-weighting,outputing 500mV)
  • SNR : >108dB(A-weighting)
  • Dynamic range: >108dB
  • Output impedance : 4.8Ω
  • Channel separation : >75dB(32Ω,1kHz)
  • Capacity: 1800mAH lithium battery
  • Playing hours : about 9--10 hours(3--4hours charging time)
  • Sampling rate : up to 384kHz / 32 bit, DSD 128

M2X Specifications
  • Screen: 3.2 inch touch screen with MTouch 2.0 system
  • Dimensions: 98 x 60 x 16 mm
  • Weight: 147 g
  • Memory: Single micro SD card slot
  • DAC: AKM AK4490EN
  • Amp: 2 x AD8397
  • Low-pass filter: TI OPA1612
  • Decoding: PCM up to 32bit/384kHz, DSD up to DSD256
  • Battery: 2400 mAh, fully charged in 2.5 hour
  • Playback: 10.5 hours (SE), 7.5 hours (Bal)
  • Output 3.5mm: 180mW(16Ω, high gain)/106mW(32Ω, low gain)
  • Output 2.5mm: 212mW(16Ω, high gain)/120mW(32Ω, low gain)
  • Output impedance: 1 Ohm (3.5mm), 2 Ohm (2.5mm)
  • SNR: 117 dB (3.5mm), 116 dB (2.5mm)
  • Channel separation: 70 dB (32 Ohm, 3.5mm), 107 dB (32 Ohm, 2.5mm)
  • Bluetooth 4.2, two-way connection
  • USB DAC function

Thanks for this. I was hoping that someone who has heard and used both could offer a use comparison. .... Yeah it's not in great shape. ... No doubt, it is fantastic, and I may just seek out another M2s depending on what replies to my questions I see here, if any. For sure, the M2x seems bulkier.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2019 at 9:21 PM Post #381 of 714
Hi all... So I've been a happy Shanling M2s owner for a couple of years and it's time to replace it. I just went through all 26 pages of this thread and was surprised to find no comparison between the M2s and M2x, I'm not really sure why that's the case...? Is no one using the M2s anymore? o: It's a great player. In any event I'm trying to figure out how they compare. M2x specs show that its bigger, does it feel much bigger and heavier in the hand? I do like the nice small M2s size. How about sound quality comparison? I'm also wondering about power... is it more powerful, does it drive headphones better? (sorry I'm not sure of the right terminology here, power output? I use Etymotic ER4XR headphones, I think it can drive them well? but anyway I'm curious as I may get another pair).

I also wonder about how the M3s and M2x compare on the same criteria: size/feel, sound quality, power. I've read that the M3s is essentially an improved, larger version of the M2s. So I'm confused about which is the superior player, the M3s or the M2x. I do enjoy the UI of the M2s and I'm not sure how much I'd like the touchscreen of the M2x, but the interface has to be secondary to the sound quality (and size), so that's what I'm most concerned with. :)

I had an M2s before. But I can comment on the physical aspects versus to SQ as I mostly used it as transport.

IMG_E2571.JPG

The M2x is a bit bigger but it also is more comfortable to hold on to because of the more rounded edges. The interface is a lot better to navigate due to it being a touch screen. It will drive your Etymotics well. The M2x is considered by many to be the 'baby M5s' in terms of SQ.

Oct 31, 2019 at 9:43 PM Post #382 of 714

M2s had one of the warmer tuning we made and its output impedance of 5ohm wasn't ideal for some IEMs. M2X compared to it will sound more balanced, cleaner and more detailed, yet still having smoother presentation. And with lower impedance and better performing amp, it's fitting better to wider range of IEMs. But overall power is about the same.

Of course M2X brings completely different system, different controls, new features. And another important thing, MTouch in M2X is still being supported, with fixes, changes and addition of new features. While system in both M2s and M3s is pretty much dead, with no further development. (since we no longer work with previous software developer).

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Nov 1, 2019 at 8:27 AM Post #383 of 714
M2s had one of the warmer tuning we made and its output impedance of 5ohm wasn't ideal for some IEMs. M2X compared to it will sound more balanced, cleaner and more detailed, yet still having smoother presentation. And with lower impedance and better performing amp, it's fitting better to wider range of IEMs. But overall power is about the same.

Of course M2X brings completely different system, different controls, new features. And another important thing, MTouch in M2X is still being supported, with fixes, changes and addition of new features. While system in both M2s and M3s is pretty much dead, with no further development. (since we no longer work with previous software developer).

Thanks to both of you for your replies. It sounds like the M2x is a very good player, with very good sound.

Nov 1, 2019 at 10:37 PM Post #384 of 714

Hi,

I just ordered one! :)

Question - is there any way to move my playlist from my M2s to the M2x? I will use the same memory card with the same songs, so they would all be there.

Nov 3, 2019 at 8:24 PM Post #385 of 714
Hi,

I just ordered one! :)

Question - is there any way to move my playlist from my M2s to the M2x? I will use the same memory card with the same songs, so they would all be there.

Unfortunately no way how to transfer playlists created in the system.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Nov 4, 2019 at 4:58 AM Post #386 of 714
I'm a reviewerr, but I have a question

Can M2X send digital signal to Mojo?

Also does it work with higher bitrates with Tidal?

I'm trying to get things to work for my review, and currently am unsure if I am even trying to do the right thing, as in, if it is supposed to do this :beyersmile:

Hi @Dobrescu George, did you review the M2X? I'm curious about how you found it compares to the M2s, which I know you liked a lot.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2019 at 6:07 AM Post #388 of 714
I've got a question for @Shanling or anyone who can answer. With these BLON 03 earphones,

https://www.amazon.com/HiFiHear-Earphone-Diaphragm-Headphone-Detachable/dp/B07TZ2NQCF

and the Shanling M2X

and this cable (or similar)...

https://www.linsoul.com/products/linsoul-hc-08

Would it be better to get the cord fitting the 2.5mm audio jack, or the 3.5mm audio jack? I believe that the 2.5 would would be "balanced", but to be honest I have never used a balanced cord before, and I don't know if it would be appropriate for the BLON and that cord or if it is even better. (I won't be using an amp, just the Shanling M2X).

Thank you to anyone who can help, and sorry for the newbie question. :)

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2019 at 12:38 PM Post #389 of 714
I've got a question for @Shanling or anyone who can answer. With these BLON 03 earphones,

https://www.amazon.com/HiFiHear-Earphone-Diaphragm-Headphone-Detachable/dp/B07TZ2NQCF

and the Shanling M2X

and this cable (or similar)...

https://www.linsoul.com/products/linsoul-hc-08

Would it be better to get the cord fitting the 2.5mm audio jack, or the 3.5mm audio jack? I believe that the 2.5 would would be "balanced", but to be honest I have never used a balanced cord before, and I don't know if it would be appropriate for the BLON and that cord or if it is even better. (I won't be using an amp, just the Shanling M2X).

Thank you to anyone who can help, and sorry for the newbie question. :)
The main reason why you would want to use a balanced output is the added power and theoretical better management of noise (though sometimes balanced outputs are noisier than single-ended ones). The BLON BL03 are so easy to drive that even the usual single-ended output should be more than adequate. That's how I drive my BL03 anyway and I've had exactly zero issues.
TL;DR: You could use a balanced cable with the BL03, but the main benefit you would get from that (more power) is not really that useful for these earphones.

Nov 4, 2019 at 1:23 PM Post #390 of 714
I bought the same IEMs (BLON BL03) today.
This is the 2.5mm balanced cable I bought for them that should work great especially at its price point.
https://www.amazon.com/TRIPOWIN-Bra...RZPKCGCZZ1WE&refRID=9V5ZP6MBRZPKCGCZZ1WE&th=1

I agree that balanced is not needed however many of these DAP players make the balanced circuit better in other areas and give less emphasis on the unbalanced so that is now the reason why you go balanced. The other advantage is if you want to connect to a unbalanced output you can with an adaptor but you cant do it the other way around if you have an unbalanced cable to a balanced connection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back