Shanling M2s Hi-Res DAP with AK4490 + MUSE8920, Bluetooth, & USB Out
Sep 5, 2018 at 7:33 PM Post #2,371 of 2,460
Windows 10. It would be awesome if you can help me figure this out. I have to be doing something wrong. Step by step instructions would be great lol

IIRC, I didn't even have the m2s plugged into my laptop when I installed the drivers. Just ran the installer and let it do its thing…

Sep 5, 2018 at 9:34 PM Post #2,372 of 2,460
Windows 10. It would be awesome if you can help me figure this out. I have to be doing something wrong. Step by step instructions would be great lol

1.) Go to the Shanling M2s web page - http://www.shanling.com/en-US/Product/Detail?id=2de2216f17334b2dbaa4377d95d65550
2.) Click on the Driver and Manual Download link - https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bz_m_D8_7ujLOHVab1JrcDlRODA
3.) Download the "M2s Driver program.rar" file.
4.) Extract the "M2s USB driver" folder.
5.) Run "setup.exe" from the folder.
6.) $Profit$ :ksc75smile:

Sep 11, 2018 at 4:37 AM Post #2,373 of 2,460
Sep 11, 2018 at 4:56 AM Post #2,374 of 2,460
Hi all.
I lke my M2s but i'd like Shanling to make some improvements (if possible) in future firmware updates:
1. I'm over 50 and my vision is not as good as 10 years ago. Please, add to system settings option to enlarge system fonts in few steps like +30, +50 +100%. I know there is vortex firmware that allows to change it in more complicated way but it should be a crucial part of regular firmware.
2. Vortex high contrst theme or similar should be included in regular firmware.
3. Like someone mentioned earlier I'd like to see on the playing now screen not only artist name and track name but the album name as well.
That's all folks. Please vote or add some more requests
Jaro

Sep 11, 2018 at 7:56 AM Post #2,375 of 2,460
Hi all.
I lke my M2s but i'd like Shanling to make some improvements (if possible) in future firmware updates:
1. I'm over 50 and my vision is not as good as 10 years ago. Please, add to system settings option to enlarge system fonts in few steps like +30, +50 +100%. I know there is vortex firmware that allows to change it in more complicated way but it should be a crucial part of regular firmware.
3. Like someone mentioned earlier I'd like to see on the playing now screen not only artist name and track name but the album name as well.
Jaro

I vote for all points above, especially displaying the Album name.

Sep 11, 2018 at 9:54 PM Post #2,376 of 2,460
Hi all.
Jaro

Hi, these or similar request were posted by multiple users in past and they were reported to the HiBY, who is developer of software of our older players.
When or if we get any of these, we are not sure.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Sep 14, 2018 at 4:52 AM Post #2,377 of 2,460
Could anyone let me know the difference in the sound quality between Shanglin M2 and M2s? Which one sounds better and got the more powerful amp? I would like to pair the DAP with the in-ear ATH-CKR9 and the over-ear Momentum 2.0.

Sep 26, 2018 at 3:02 PM Post #2,378 of 2,460
Thinking about Shanling M2s. In Poland it costs around 155 € with case and tempered glass.
The M1 and M0, though they're nice, they feel too small for me. Bigger screen is important to me.

I want to move out from iPod Video 5 gen (Rockboxed).
Using Shure SE 215 iems and just read in this topic that the highest model off Shure SE series goes well with M2s.
Going to use M2s on the go, in the bus, maybe in the work.

Thought I am not a crazy audiophile - just a casual listener - I would like to expand my music taste.
Can't do that with nearly full 80 GB iPod (well, around 2 GBs are left).

I like some rock and metal but might lean on to other genres. Listened to a lot of classic electronic stuff in the past.
Still like Kraftwerk. And Beatles. Both are high on my fav list.

I listen to 256 kbps VBR OGGs (16/44.1). Might try FLACs and FLAC vinyl rips (higher than 16/44.1).
Don't have much of 24/96+ stuff as not every vinyl I have is ripped on the net but I have a lot of CDs.

All my stuff on my iPod is encoded to mono (dBpoweramp is awesome) due to my impaired hearing.
No hearing at all on my left ear. Sucks but it's not the end of the world !
Also using a DYI (done by friend) turntable amplifier which gives back monophonic output. :)

On my tight budget (around 250 € total, including some better quality SD card with at least 200 GBs of space), there's no better option than Shanling.
I could buy used 160 GB iPod but I want something new and with bigger space. Actually M0 offers the biggest space - up to 512 GBs...

Sep 26, 2018 at 11:48 PM Post #2,381 of 2,460
M2S is a nice, workhorse machine. It boots quickly, is quite stable and rarely has problems with hi res files or files ike Mp3. It has a pleasant sound.

If you can live with the interface the M0 is surprisingly good sounding. Probably better sounding than the M2S and many other players including at higher price points. But I prefer the M2S for use in my car where an old school button type interface works better for me.

I did have a modified ipod video with the tarkan mod installed. And modified Apple Minis also. Modern DAP units round circles around the ipod video. The wolfson chip is good for its day, but you would be amazed at the great sound you can get today. And you had to rockbox to play FLAC files and it could not handle resolutions above a certain level ( 24 48 or 96 if I recall). and certainly not DSD. I do remember that for some unknown reason the ipod Video sounded much better under rockbox than under IOS, and I have no idea why.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2018 at 12:36 AM Post #2,382 of 2,460
M2S is a nice, workhorse machine. It boots quickly, is quite stable and rarely has problems with hi res files or files ike Mp3. It has a pleasant sound.

If you can live with the interface the M0 is surprisingly good sounding. Probably better sounding than the M2S and many other players including at higher price points. But I prefer the M2S for use in my car where an old school button type interface works better for me.

I did have a modified ipod video with the tarkan mod installed. And modified Apple Minis also. Modern DAP units round circles around the ipod video. The wolfson chip is good for its day, but you would be amazed at the great sound you can get today. And you had to rockbox to play FLAC files and it could not handle resolutions above a certain level ( 24 48 or 96 if I recall). and certainly not DSD. I do remember that for some unknown reason the ipod Video sounded much better under rockbox than under IOS, and I have no idea why.

Thanks ! I have decided against M0 as I have already a big collection of music and this screen is very small. Lack of screen is the reason against anything like iPod Shuffle for me. Never really tried FLACs under Rockbox. And never really played with video capabilities of my iPod (I tried a bit though). This screen is too small to do it for me - especially when subtitles comes to play. Never thought about modifying my iPod though I think I might heard about some mods.

My hearing is impaired so I won't experience stereo or more channels. :frowning2: I'm not listening to stereo music (on output) as I hear something like half of the track (learned it on Oldfield's Tubular Bells as far as I remember). The issue is more noticeable on Beatles. Might try DSD or so or some SACDs (I have two in my collection - Dark Side of the Moon from 2003 and Depeche Mode's Playing The Angel collector's edition). If I get them off the net, can't rip the SACD layer.

Sep 27, 2018 at 12:54 AM Post #2,383 of 2,460
The people over at Computer audiophile have figured out how to rip SACDs. Basically certain models of Playstation 3 and certain models of Blu Ray players (mainly Oppo) can be modded to rip SACDs. Or you an try to download a DSD track or two and see if its worth the bother. There are some sites that have DSD and hi res sample files for you to check out; try googling it.

Sep 27, 2018 at 2:45 AM Post #2,384 of 2,460
Thanks! :) Might try to check if there are rips of the ones I have. I can also try to rip some DVDs I've and that Sgt. Pepper 50th Anniversary Edition Blu-Ray (if I get the copy, my pc has only the DVD drive). The new mix is really good but I have listened to that CD just once.

Edit: 28.09.2018, 2.43 AM (GMT +2, Poland's time).
Bought my M2s, the red one. Together with tempered glass and cas (black and if the official distributor won't have it - red one). Ordered also a 256 GBs SanDisk microSDHC card (from SanDisk). Expensive but I can't allow myself to spend that much money. Had to buy 256 GBs as I fear that 200 GBs would too low for me. Next week means a big upgrade - or at least a way in this direction as I need to prepare my music for it !

My lossless rips (all FLACS, lvl 5 compression, stereo) are 160 GBs total. All done from my own collection by me. :)

Hope that my SE215 would sound better with my iPod. :) Would love an noticeable upgrade in sound quality, perceiveable by the deaf (but not dead !) me.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2018 at 3:10 PM Post #2,385 of 2,460
Thinking about Shanling M2s. In Poland it costs around 155 € with case and tempered glass.
The M1 and M0, though they're nice, they feel too small for me. Bigger screen is important to me.

I want to move out from iPod Video 5 gen (Rockboxed).
Using Shure SE 215 iems and just read in this topic that the highest model off Shure SE series goes well with M2s.
Going to use M2s on the go, in the bus, maybe in the work.

Thought I am not a crazy audiophile - just a casual listener - I would like to expand my music taste.
Can't do that with nearly full 80 GB iPod (well, around 2 GBs are left).

I like some rock and metal but might lean on to other genres. Listened to a lot of classic electronic stuff in the past.
Still like Kraftwerk. And Beatles. Both are high on my fav list.

I listen to 256 kbps VBR OGGs (16/44.1). Might try FLACs and FLAC vinyl rips (higher than 16/44.1).
Don't have much of 24/96+ stuff as not every vinyl I have is ripped on the net but I have a lot of CDs.

All my stuff on my iPod is encoded to mono (dBpoweramp is awesome) due to my impaired hearing.
No hearing at all on my left ear. Sucks but it's not the end of the world !
Also using a DYI (done by friend) turntable amplifier which gives back monophonic output. :)

On my tight budget (around 250 € total, including some better quality SD card with at least 200 GBs of space), there's no better option than Shanling.
I could buy used 160 GB iPod but I want something new and with bigger space. Actually M0 offers the biggest space - up to 512 GBs...

It's great to see another polish user of this great player!

However, there is one minor issue with the font that's not bugging me too much as I don't have more than 10 polish songs (out of 9000...), but the font doesn't contain the polish letter "ć". Other than that, great stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back