Shanling M2s Hi-Res DAP with AK4490 + MUSE8920, Bluetooth, & USB Out
Apr 18, 2018 at 12:27 AM Post #2,236 of 2,460
I noticed there is no line out output signal when I connected my M2s to XDuoo XD-05 digital input (shown on XD-05 display no signal) , what's wrong ?

I have set the output as Line Out instead of Phone Out, current firmware is 3.1.

Kindly advise @Shanling

Apr 18, 2018 at 12:35 AM Post #2,237 of 2,460
I noticed there is no line out output signal when I connected my M2s to XDuoo XD-05 digital input (shown on XD-05 display no signal) , what's wrong ?

I have set the output as Line Out instead of Phone Out, current firmware is 3.1.

Kindly advise @Shanling

When the XD-05 is in digital input mode, shouldn't the output of the M2s be coming from the USB (digital) port, rather than the Line Out (analog) port?

Apr 18, 2018 at 2:08 AM Post #2,238 of 2,460
When the XD-05 is in digital input mode, shouldn't the output of the M2s be coming from the USB (digital) port, rather than the Line Out (analog) port?
No problem with M2S USB port with XD-05 USB input mode. But when I switch to Coaxial/Digital input of XD-05, the Line Out from M2S didnt present any signal.

Is Line Out Analog? All this while I thought it is digital; Phone Out is analog.

Apr 18, 2018 at 2:19 AM Post #2,239 of 2,460
No problem with M2S USB port with XD-05 USB input mode. But when I switch to Coaxial/Digital input of XD-05, the Line Out from M2S didnt present any signal.

Is Line Out Analog? All this while I thought it is digital; Phone Out is analog.

The whole purpose of a DAC chip is to convert the digital data stream to an analogue one (digital to analogue converter). So it follows then that the digital output from a player (via USB, COAX, etc) is an unconverted digital data stream that is output before it ever gets a chance to reach the DAC chip (hence no conversion). A line out signal is when the data stream has already passed through the DAC chip (and so it must be analogue when it leaves the DAC chip), but is output before it has a chance to reach the device's internal amplifier circuit.

Apr 18, 2018 at 2:27 AM Post #2,240 of 2,460
The whole purpose of a DAC chip is to convert the digital data stream to an analogue one (digital to analogue converter). So it follows then that the digital output from a player (via USB, COAX, etc) is an unconverted digital data stream that is output before it ever gets a chance to reach the DAC chip (hence no conversion). A line out signal is when the data stream has already passed through the DAC chip (and so it must be analogue when it leaves the DAC chip), but is output before it has a chance to reach the device's internal amplifier circuit.
Thanks @TheoS53 for clarification. So the only way to bypass M2S DAC is via USB?

Out of topic, what about Fiio X5 III, there's Line Out too, is that also analog? It's quite confuse some Line Out are digital or analog, how to differentiate ?

Apr 18, 2018 at 2:34 AM Post #2,241 of 2,460
@Shanling, I have a question, I also using my M2s as a USB DAC at work. Wondering if this would deplete its battery life? Thanks! :)

Apr 18, 2018 at 2:37 AM Post #2,242 of 2,460
Thanks @TheoS53 for clarification. So the only way to bypass M2S DAC is via USB?

Correct

Out of topic, what about Fiio X5 III, there's Line Out too, is that also analog? It's quite confuse some Line Out are digital or analog, how to differentiate ?

Nope, all line out ports are analogue. A 3.5mm COAX port might "look" the same as a line out port...but if it says lineout, then it's analogue

Apr 18, 2018 at 2:41 AM Post #2,243 of 2,460
Nope, all line out ports are analogue. A 3.5mm COAX port might "look" the same as a line out port...but if it says lineout, then it's analogue

It stated 3.5mm line / S/PDIF coaxial output , thought S/PDIF is an digital audio interface , digital output? .

Apr 18, 2018 at 2:45 AM Post #2,244 of 2,460
It stated 3.5mm line / S/PDIF coaxial output , thought S/PDIF is an digital audio interface , digital output? .

Yup, in that case the 3.5mm jack Fiio used is a combo jack, meaning it can output either a COAX (digital) signal, or a line out (analogue) signal. But you'll need to select within the settings of the device which one you want.

Apr 18, 2018 at 4:52 AM Post #2,245 of 2,460
@Shanling, I have a question, I also using my M2s as a USB DAC at work. Wondering if this would deplete its battery life? Thanks! :)

If it's battery powered DAC, it should be drawing no power from M2s. In past, when I was using M2s with my Mojo, I think I was getting even little bit better battery life

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Apr 19, 2018 at 10:29 AM Post #2,246 of 2,460
I have also experienced the "battery depleted" bug, it would shut down the player almost every time I resumed from a screen off state.

I rolled back to 3.10 though, and I'll be fine waiting for the next update.

Other bugs I've noticed in the firmware are that sometimes the beginning of a song will not be audible and I'll miss a bit of a track's intro, and the scrolling will frequently jump two places in one click.
I'm having this exact problem as well. Battery depleted shows up while halfway using, swings from full to "battery depleted" and back to full.
Do you still face this issue after rolling back?

Apr 19, 2018 at 2:43 PM Post #2,247 of 2,460
I'm having this exact problem as well. Battery depleted shows up while halfway using, swings from full to "battery depleted" and back to full.
Do you still face this issue after rolling back?
The older firmware releases don't have the issue, it was created somehow in v 3.2. I use 3.0 cause it's the most stable I have found.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back