Shanling M2s Hi-Res DAP with AK4490 + MUSE8920, Bluetooth, & USB Out
Mar 29, 2018 at 10:06 AM Post #2,206 of 2,460
On my DAPs, I organize my music by Genre, so at the root level of my SD card, there's a folder called Music.
In Music, there are folders for my Genres of music.
Also in Music, I've created a folder called Playlists.
This is where I place the Playlists that I create on my PC.

Since the Playlists are in a folder at the root, the path to the music files is:
../[Genre]/[Artist Last Name], [Artist First Name]/[Album Year] - [Album Title]/[Disc #]-[Track #] [Track Title] [[Track Artist]].flac

The initial ../ navigates down to the Music folder - and this makes it a relative path, rather than an absolute path (which, on a PC, starts with a drive letter, like C: ).

I add the [Track Artist] to the file name, so that it scrolls on the screen of the DAPs, which is helpful for Compilation / Various albums.

Hope this helps.
First of all, apologies for my late reply. I've been traveling and can't post on this site/forum from my iPhone.
Yes it does help and thanks a lot for your help and time.

Apr 8, 2018 at 1:36 PM Post #2,210 of 2,460
Guys my M2S been making liltte "click" noises like when you slowly squeeze the front brake of a motorcycle and you here then "click". This happens when I turn on yhe device, press play or shut it down......
Is this normal or should I be concerned? Oh and btw when I copy music into the microSD connected through a USB and then put it back into the M2S it's totally fine, but when I copy the music into the card when it's already been put into the device, the M2S doesn't show it anywhere and I checked, the music is there but it just doesn't show.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2018 at 12:13 AM Post #2,211 of 2,460
Guys my M2S been making liltte "click" noises like when you slowly squeeze the front brake of a motorcycle and you here then "click". This happens when I turn on yhe device, press play or shut it down......
Is this normal or should I be concerned? Oh and btw when I copy music into the microSD connected through a USB and then put it back into the M2S it's totally fine, but when I copy the music into the card when it's already been put into the device, the M2S doesn't show it anywhere and I checked, the music is there but it just doesn't show.

The clicks are protection relays, so their sound is normal.

There's a Setting you can select, to manually scan for new music. The normal setting is for the DAP to scan when you insert a memory card, and then power on.

Apr 9, 2018 at 2:59 AM Post #2,212 of 2,460
The clicks are protection relays, so their sound is normal.

There's a Setting you can select, to manually scan for new music. The normal setting is for the DAP to scan when you insert a memory card, and then power on.
Thanks alot, thought my M2S was making a lilttle mutiny or something.....
On the update part, I did manually select the "Update your music something immediately" and it did scan for new update and said sonsometh like successful updated but it only show the old files, not the new ones that I copied when the was in the M2s.
This morning when I plugged it in my computer again it said something like "Your files were not written correctly" and it denied the access to my microSD from my cimcompu.
Weird, maybe I unplugged it incorrectly before it had a chance to update or something, the files are in there I've checked the data, it just doesn't show.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2018 at 9:06 AM Post #2,213 of 2,460
Shanling is at Hiby's mercy for this, and timing is up to Hiby. This is why I'm glad to see Shanling's new offering is using in-house software. Nothing against Hiby, but complete control over your product is always a good thing.
I know, but I would assume that shanling as a customer of Hiby must have some way to make the urgency of the issue clear to Hiby.
The restarting of my player is getting annoying...

Apr 9, 2018 at 1:16 PM Post #2,214 of 2,460
I know, but I would assume that shanling as a customer of Hiby must have some way to make the urgency of the issue clear to Hiby.
Shanling are a customer, but now Hiby produce their own DAPs they have also become a competitor and their priorities have probably changed.

Apr 9, 2018 at 7:14 PM Post #2,215 of 2,460
Hi I'm new here, first post.
I bought an M2S about 3 weeks ago. I really like it.

In regards to the quote, if you go back to the previous version of firmware it should resolve the issue. I had the same problem constantly and after going back a release i have had no issues. It's been 2 weeks since my SD card needed to be removed.

Apr 9, 2018 at 7:55 PM Post #2,216 of 2,460
I wanted to mention something to Shanling to see if there's a fix that could be made.
With the entire player, the only things that I don't like is the logic built into shuffle play mode. With shuffle, if you play a few songs, and then skip backwards one song, it seems to reset the entire playlist and shuffle them again. This means that in theory, if you listen to songs 1, 2, 3, 4 then skip back to song 3, it could play song 1 or 2 again. In my favorites folder I have about a 100 songs and I add to it all the time, I wish it would play all 100 before it tried to replay any of them, unless I went to a new play mode (like an album) and then went back to shuffle.

Also, if I'm in shuffle, and I skip back one song, it doesn't remember which one came after it before. So for example, if I listen to song 10 for 5 seconds, and then try to re-start it, but accidentaly go to song 9, when I skip forward again, song 10 is an entirely different song. This one especially drives me crazy! Especially when I have my entire 6000 songs on shuffle. I'll never get back to the song I wanted to re-start.

Anyway, other than those gripes this play kicks @$$! I love it.

Apr 10, 2018 at 11:16 AM Post #2,217 of 2,460
I Just went to the Shanling website to downgrade my firmware.
But to my surprise a new M2s firmware has been posted, containing the changelog:

Changes and fixes :
1. Fixed the problem of micro SD card not being recognised.
2. Fixed the problem of WAV playback.
3. Fixed the problem of Chinese language setting.

http://www.shanling.com/download/List#

So far it seems to be working :)

Apr 10, 2018 at 12:05 PM Post #2,218 of 2,460
But to my surprise a new M2s firmware has been posted, containing the changelog:

Changes and fixes :

Great news, how to update your firmware?

Apr 10, 2018 at 1:10 PM Post #2,219 of 2,460
pcbroute said:
And Shanling please add options for bluetooth to set default volume by 100%
For now, any time if i use bluetooth speaker i need manually increase it to 100%, and if i use headphones i need it slow down back to 20%, is terrible.
Noted

Nov 10, 2017 at 2:56 AM

Hi Shanling!
New firmware 3.2 is coming out.
But Bluetooth feature is still unusable for me. is sad(
I see you add some new language on this firmware, but i can find Russian. Do you plan to add Russian Language?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2018 at 1:32 PM Post #2,220 of 2,460

Changes and fixes :

Awesome, thanks for the heads up!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back