Shanling M2s Hi-Res DAP with AK4490 + MUSE8920, Bluetooth, & USB Out
Dec 10, 2017 at 2:24 PM Post #2,015 of 2,460
So, has anyone come up with a solution for the m2s being difficult to start up? I asked about it a couple months ago and only one two others noted having the problem. I've tried updating firmware without any improvement. My email to shanling never received a response. I really enjoy the dap but find I'm rarely using it now because it is frustrating to spend sometimes 5 minutes or more to get it powered up. I'll repeatedly press and release, press and hold the power button for random lengths of time. I can hear it occasionally making a clicking noise while holding the power button but can take a ridiculous long time and many attempts before the shanling splash screen shows up.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2017 at 3:02 PM Post #2,016 of 2,460
So, has anyone come up with a solution for the m2s being difficult to start up? I asked about it a couple months ago and only one two others noted having the problem. I've tried updating firmware without any improvement. My email to shanling never received a response. I really enjoy the dap but find I'm rarely using it now because it is frustrating to spend sometimes 5 minutes or more to get it powered up. I'll repeatedly press and release, press and hold the power button for random lengths of time. I can hear it occasionally making a clicking noise while holding the power button but can take a ridiculous long time and many attempts before the shanling splash screen shows up.

I never experienced this... Might be an issue with your unit in particular.

Dec 10, 2017 at 5:16 PM Post #2,017 of 2,460
How's this for depreciation, my m2s purchased on 23rd May 2017 for $198 sold today for £1.50. OK it did have a broken scroll/select wheel. :)

My memory is failing me but if I recall your retailer stopped carrying Shanling. Assuming they were authorized at one point, it seems to me Shanling would have helped out in your case.

I know that in the US it costs about $18 to ship units back to China, and that does not include tracking which almost doubles the price. I had to return a unit to China once and the vendor played a game where they pretended that they did not receive the unit since I did not purchase the tracking. They later admitted they had it. Anyway my point is that shipping to China is expensive but would still be worth it.

Fortunately my M2S is reliable. Must admit my M2 was not particularly reliable; sold it for $120 (sold back to Amazon) but my loss was only $70 since I bought it at a good price on Amazon. That was before MusicTech was selling the units, and the vendor I used turned out to be unauthorized but Gemini still handled a warranty issue that I had quite nicely.

Dec 10, 2017 at 5:51 PM Post #2,018 of 2,460
I always look after my stuff, I have no idea how it broke, it must have been a small knock against something else in my laptop bag.

The m2s is still good value, with one very weak point IMHO, just make sure you buy it locally so its economically viable to return it.
I am currently in the same situation and could not agree more. I loved the little player and how it sounds for the week I had it. I always stored it in a case, but one day I was using it and the wheel just fell out. Seeing as how this is a RARE occurrence in this thread it's probably just a faulty one. Seller from China was very good about exchanging units, but I had to pay $30 for shipping+tracking.(Did not bother to ask for seller to cover shipping). I have now spent a month without it and it wasn't worth the few dollars I was saving in a bundle deal that included a fake microSD card. Shanling also responded quickly and professionally and said they would step in if necessary.
For anyone curious about the Shanling M2S, it's an amazing product, especially the UI. Just buy locally in case you get the rare faulty one

Dec 10, 2017 at 6:06 PM Post #2,019 of 2,460
I'm a happy m2s owner. However I have two questions going through my head

1. I have a large mp3 library on my M2s and scrolling through the artists takes quite some time. Even when using the skip button. Would it be possible to gradually increase the skipping speed when holding the skip button pressed?
That would improve the usability quite a lot.

2. Are there any plans to add Opus to the supported audio formats?

Thanks in advance

Dec 10, 2017 at 8:54 PM Post #2,020 of 2,460

My advice in these moments is to try the reset on left side of device. Of course sending it to your seller for warranty can be also possibility.

I'm sorry you didn't receive any response to your email, for next time, you can always reach out to me here in PM.

I'm a happy m2s owner. However I have two questions going through my head

1. I have a large mp3 library on my M2s and scrolling through the artists takes quite some time. Even when using the skip button. Would it be possible to gradually increase the skipping speed when holding the skip button pressed?
That would improve the usability quite a lot.

2. Are there any plans to add Opus to the supported audio formats?

Thanks in advance

1) Can I ask how many artists you have in your library(number of pages Shanling shows)? On mine I go through 400 artists under 7 seconds, so we didn't saw a need for such increase in speed of scrolling.

2) Got some questions about it, looked up more info on it and now it's on my lists of tasks for HiBy. So I hope we get the support of it. I know it's slowly spreading to different music apps on phones, so I bet HiBy doesn't want to stay behind.

My memory is failing me but if I recall your retailer stopped carrying Shanling. Assuming they were authorized at one point, it seems to me Shanling would have helped out in your case.

We have nowadays distributors and their dealers around the world, but problems like these always comes up when purchase was made to some random China seller on Aliexpress and similar. They often gets our players in obscure ways, are not the best when it comes to after sales support and warranty. My advice is, if you truly want to shop at Chinese seller, you must be sure that any warranty issue will be little more pricey and taking longer time. Also only shop at bigger and reputable sellers.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Dec 11, 2017 at 3:09 AM Post #2,021 of 2,460
I am currently in the same situation and could not agree more. I loved the little player and how it sounds for the week I had it. I always stored it in a case, but one day I was using it and the wheel just fell out. Seeing as how this is a RARE occurrence in this thread it's probably just a faulty one. Seller from China was very good about exchanging units, but I had to pay $30 for shipping+tracking.(Did not bother to ask for seller to cover shipping). I have now spent a month without it and it wasn't worth the few dollars I was saving in a bundle deal that included a fake microSD card. Shanling also responded quickly and professionally and said they would step in if necessary.
For anyone curious about the Shanling M2S, it's an amazing product, especially the UI. Just buy locally in case you get the rare faulty one

I didn't even bother to be honest, I got it from, quoting @Shanling "Some random China seller on Aliexpress" and thought my chances of getting the problem resolved were slim-to-zero. It was a gamble that didn't pay off in this instance.

Its a shame really, these are good little players, but I think the m3s (which I bought locally) will be my last one.

Dec 12, 2017 at 5:08 PM Post #2,022 of 2,460
1) Can I ask how many artists you have in your library(number of pages Shanling shows)? On mine I go through 400 artists under 7 seconds, so we didn't saw a need for such increase in speed of scrolling.

Right now my Library consists of 172 pages (about 1376 Artists) which takse me 18 seconds to scroll down.
If I was to buy a 256gb microsd, it would take me half a minute to go through the Artists.

I know that the M2s was conceived as a lossless player but when used with lossy files, the scrolling needs some improving to make it the ultimate player :wink:

ps. nice to hear you´re looking into Opus

Dec 15, 2017 at 12:53 AM Post #2,023 of 2,460
Right now my Library consists of 172 pages (about 1376 Artists) which takse me 18 seconds to scroll down.
If I was to buy a 256gb microsd, it would take me half a minute to go through the Artists.

I know that the M2s was conceived as a lossless player but when used with lossy files, the scrolling needs some improving to make it the ultimate player :wink:

ps. nice to hear you´re looking into Opus

You can hit the "previous" and "next" button to flip through pages. Its quicker than scrolling using the scroll wheel. :)

Dec 15, 2017 at 2:32 AM Post #2,024 of 2,460
Hi Guys!

I would like to inform you that Shanling M2s is working perfectly with SanDisk Ultra 400 GB microSDXC card. There is no way to index all of the files, but it is not a problem for me - I listen to whole albums and I just use folder browsing. Together with OTG SD card reader this little device is armed with 600 Gigas (another SanDisk 200 GB card) in the same time!
On the picture: my very, very best friend with Aune E1 IEMs. :)

400gb! Wow! Haven't seen that capacity in stores here yet. 256gb is the largest that I saw. How much did you bought those?

15k limit should be sufficient for most people even with 400GB card if songs in 16/44.1-FLAC and above.
I have now little around 6k Songs on my 200GB card which has only 0.5GB free space left.

What genres do you have in your library good sir?

Dec 15, 2017 at 3:35 AM Post #2,025 of 2,460
you want a breakdown of the genres in my library? Puh....It's mainly Rock and Americana.

The rest is Jazz, Alternative Folk, Alternative Country, Singer/Songwriter, Pop, Bluegrass, Contemporary US Folk, Blues, Folk, Folkrock, Soul, Desert Rock and Jazz Blues.

But this information is good for what exactly?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back