Shanling M2s Hi-Res DAP with AK4490 + MUSE8920, Bluetooth, & USB Out
Aug 15, 2017 at 7:00 PM Post #1,427 of 2,460
Help!

Picked up the m2s but something is wrong with the volume.

The volume at 20 is uncomfortably loud, on low gain. And i cannot seem to change the volume. I go to the now playing screen and turn the wheel, and keep turning and turning, and nothing, no volume change.

Is this a software glitch or I need to return it?

I did update the firmware.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2017 at 7:13 PM Post #1,428 of 2,460
Help!

Picked up the m2s but something is wrong with the volume.

The volume at 20 is uncomfortably loud, on low gain. And i cannot seem to change the volume. I go to the now playing screen and turn the wheel, and keep turning and turning, and nothing, no volume change.

Is this a software glitch or I need to return it?

I did update the firmware.

Thanks for your help.

Maybe you selected line out in the settings without notice?

Aug 15, 2017 at 7:26 PM Post #1,430 of 2,460
I think that is it, it said lo in output settings, i will try po.

For gain should i use high or low?

What about dsd, what is diff between dop and d2p?

Thank you!

Good to know. I use low gain with IT03, GR07X and RS1i. With my others headphones I use a FiiO A5 in the mix.

DOP: DSD over PCM output
D2P: DSD to PCM output.

Both options are related to digital output, not analog.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2017 at 8:35 PM Post #1,431 of 2,460
@Shanling thank you for introducing Gradual filter option in latest update, it makes A LOT of difference to me!
Any chance to provide access to other AK4490 preset filters?
It would be wonderful!

What I observe and notice:

"Steep" has more "in-your-face", slightly harsher and two-dimensional, flat sound, also soundstage appears to be higher, yet narrower. Low-level detail are less noticeable, especially ambience and reverb tails (natural or artificial). Works best for more aggressive genres with lower DR.

"Gradual" provides wider and three-dimensional soundstage, resolving low-level detail (including ambience and reverberation) much better, but sounds just a touch softer in the high-frequency range and not as tall as with the steep filter. Perfect for ambient-related or any other genres that utilise low-level details and have lots of and layered reverb/ambience, giving a soundstage that appears to extend far outside, more like open-back headphones. This is absolute pleasure to enjoy and creates immersing listening environment, music to my ears! :L3000:

This is noticeable on high-resolution and balanced IEMs (Pioneer CH9T), low resolution IEMs or those that favor certain frequencies too much don't make this effect as noticeable or profound.

Aug 15, 2017 at 11:54 PM Post #1,432 of 2,460
Interesting, forgot where but i read somewhere Fiio's treble smoother than shanling. Thanks for your opinion, more opinion will welcome, thanks!

Unless X5iii has changed it's sound sig recently with a FW upgrade then x5iii does have smoother treble than m2s. The x5iii was the most polite dap in the treble I've ever heard. You would lose that nice soundstage and layering of x5iii though and although I think the x5iii has really nice treble detail I do think m2s has a bit more bite and energy in the top end. And you probably read that in the x5iii thread, it's on of it's little niggles- just being too smooth (well for some people). i sold mine because of the bugs and I wanted something smaller, but overall I think it would be a sonic downgrade from the x5iii to the m2s.

Aug 17, 2017 at 3:41 AM Post #1,433 of 2,460
Unless X5iii has changed it's sound sig recently with a FW upgrade then x5iii does have smoother treble than m2s. The x5iii was the most polite dap in the treble I've ever heard. You would lose that nice soundstage and layering of x5iii though and although I think the x5iii has really nice treble detail I do think m2s has a bit more bite and energy in the top end. And you probably read that in the x5iii thread, it's on of it's little niggles- just being too smooth (well for some people). i sold mine because of the bugs and I wanted something smaller, but overall I think it would be a sonic downgrade from the x5iii to the m2s.
Thanks for your impressions, guess ill wait longer to see if shanling will release any newer higer end model Thay compare well or perfrom better than x5 iii.
Thou on another note, is there a way to scroll through long list of music fast instead of constantly scrolling? Since it didn't have touch screen.

Aug 18, 2017 at 2:17 PM Post #1,437 of 2,460
Any one who owns FiiO X5 iii or FiiO X5iii + FiiO A5 Stack can provide some opinion if Shanling M2s can be a bit of an upgrade or same performance (soundstage, detail, seperation etc.) but just different sound signature? (Understand price is higher on the FiiO)?

If both perform same, I am quite interested in selling my FiiO X5 iii to get this as I heard this is even less warm and more treble (clearer) than FiiO X5iii is that correct? Sound more of my preference. Also I am getting semi annoyed by bugs on the FiiO daps. (Own shanling m1 before and was quite happy (just getting painful to scroll through long list of music using that small flat wheel)

Interesting in that FiiO uses AK4490 while shanling M2s uses AK4490EQ, what are the major differences between the two I wonder.

Thanks!
I used the x5 iii and hated the way It sounded. Not only that but I found it to be buggy as hell. I could barely get the apps I like to work on it. Its sound to me is very boring, I know alot of people on here will disagree with me but I just couldn't get into it. Back when I was considering DAPs I tried the x5 iii, the pioneer 100-r, pioneer 30-r, cayin i5, Ak-70 and of course the M2s. I couldn't rank them right now because for some of them, the sound is not that fresh in my head, but I can say I really enjoyed the sound of the I5, 30r,100r, and the m2s. The fiio and the AK-70 I just couldnt get into and returned soon after. The M2s is the one I am keeping because it is just the most convenient for me to use. It checks the most boxes of features I wanted in a dap. I say all that to say this. Listen for yourself, everyones ears and preferences are different.

Aug 18, 2017 at 4:46 PM Post #1,438 of 2,460
I used the x5 iii and hated the way It sounded. Not only that but I found it to be buggy as hell. I could barely get the apps I like to work on it. Its sound to me is very boring, I know alot of people on here will disagree with me but I just couldn't get into it. Back when I was considering DAPs I tried the x5 iii, the pioneer 100-r, pioneer 30-r, cayin i5, Ak-70 and of course the M2s. I couldn't rank them right now because for some of them, the sound is not that fresh in my head, but I can say I really enjoyed the sound of the I5, 30r,100r, and the m2s. The fiio and the AK-70 I just couldnt get into and returned soon after. The M2s is the one I am keeping because it is just the most convenient for me to use. It checks the most boxes of features I wanted in a dap. I say all that to say this. Listen for yourself, everyones ears and preferences are different.

Hey to each his own, haven't heard the Pioneers, but my list of the rest would be

1 Ak70
2 I5
3 X5iii
4 M2s
My criteria would be for detail and soundstage/layering and realistic tone.

The m2s is the smallest and best value and by no means sounds bad. It's very subjective as they would say. :wink:

Aug 18, 2017 at 10:31 PM Post #1,439 of 2,460
Hey to each his own, haven't heard the Pioneers, but my list of the rest would be

1 Ak70
2 I5
3 X5iii
4 M2s
My criteria would be for detail and soundstage/layering and realistic tone.

The m2s is the smallest and best value and by no means sounds bad. It's very subjective as they would say. :wink:

Yeah I loved everything about the ak70 but the way it sounded. Im looking for the tap/head nod factor. I don't know how to explain other than to say that I gotta get that feeling to move. soundstage and detail are important too but I guess I enjoy a "fun" signature the most. if it helps my current headphones are he-400(no i), Sony mdr-z7 , isine 20, monoprice m1060 Zen 2.0 and Lyra 2.

Aug 19, 2017 at 9:23 AM Post #1,440 of 2,460
Yeah I loved everything about the ak70 but the way it sounded. Im looking for the tap/head nod factor. I don't know how to explain other than to say that I gotta get that feeling to move. soundstage and detail are important too but I guess I enjoy a "fun" signature the most. if it helps my current headphones are he-400(no i), Sony mdr-z7 , isine 20, monoprice m1060 Zen 2.0 and Lyra 2.

Yep I understand completely it's like the sound I got from my sony A35, really lively and intimate but still with a nice stage and layering, but not good for higher imp. Headphones. The m2s is pretty much the compete package for a small dap and a great value. N3 is good too, I just had a harder time with the controls.

I do like a more intimate stage and more energy for rock and such, but like a wider more neutral stage with classical and world/new age and acoustic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back