Shanling M2s Hi-Res DAP with AK4490 + MUSE8920, Bluetooth, & USB Out
Jul 27, 2017 at 2:16 AM Post #1,336 of 2,460
Yeah that's not right, I get about 8-9 hours playing that same mix and I have the backlight turned up to max. I think Shanling has a battery usage app. anyways I would pm them.

Thank you! I just have pm them.

Jul 27, 2017 at 11:49 AM Post #1,337 of 2,460
I have done a test and seems the battery it's ok. Turning on the screen only few times and playing flac on low gain and it has reached 9 hours and 20 minutes. Very happy again :)

Jul 28, 2017 at 2:52 AM Post #1,339 of 2,460
Firmware 2.1 is working well for me, and installed with no problems.

My feedback for future updates is that I really would like an Album Artist view in My Music.
(And yes, in my case File Browser somewhat simulates that, but I'd still like to have an Album Artist view.)

Jul 28, 2017 at 11:49 AM Post #1,341 of 2,460
Hi @Shanling,

I still waiting for your answer regarding my firmware issue,because I have stuck in 1.2 firmware? Could you give me any information how to solve this specific problem, please?
Thank you

@Shanling posted this up last week:

"If you are owner of Shanling M2s and your device has problems with updating from firmware 1.1 or 1.2 to firmware 2.1, you can use this provided cloner tool to update M2s:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz_m_D8_7ujLZmNRSnpvaTFsVHM/view?usp=sharing

Warning: Process is little complicated, please follow the provided guide exactly and reach out to us, if anything is not clear.

Also, after updating to 2.1, this problem should never repeat."

Jul 28, 2017 at 1:08 PM Post #1,342 of 2,460

"If you are owner of Shanling M2s and your device has problems with updating from firmware 1.1 or 1.2 to firmware 2.1, you can use this provided cloner tool to update M2s:

Warning: Process is little complicated, please follow the provided guide exactly and reach out to us, if anything is not clear.

That tool worked for me, when I was having issues with updating to v2.0.

It operates similarly to how adb & fastboot can be used to wipe and load an Android device through the USB connection.

Jul 28, 2017 at 1:13 PM Post #1,343 of 2,460

Hi @DBaldock9,@Oscar-HiFi

Yes, I have tried this method but didn't work for me. If you looking for a previous post (page 85) I uploaded picture what is mine problem with the 2.1 firmware. But thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2017 at 4:04 PM Post #1,344 of 2,460
Hello everybody. I started to use the m2s with an aptx Bluetooth. It sounds really well but it seems like the Bluetooth antenna is not too powerful, I mean that you have to put the player close to the earphones. An example: If I put the player in my pocket and the Bluetooth earphones with the wire around my back neck the signal starts to come and go. Someone have some experience about this?

Jul 28, 2017 at 9:40 PM Post #1,345 of 2,460
Hi @DBaldock9,@Oscar-HiFi

Yes, I have tried this method but didn't work for me. If you looking for a previous post (page 85) I uploaded picture what is mine problem with the 2.1 firmware. But thanks for your help.

So, the issue with your M2s isn't the actual update process - it's how the M2s operates after being updated?

If you used the USB Wipe & Load Tool to install the v2.1 Firmware, and still have the issue - then that sort-of indicates a hardware fault - but you might want to try one more time, using a freshly downloaded v2.1 file.

Jul 29, 2017 at 3:51 AM Post #1,346 of 2,460
So, the issue with your M2s isn't the actual update process - it's how the M2s operates after being updated?

If you used the USB Wipe & Load Tool to install the v2.1 Firmware, and still have the issue - then that sort-of indicates a hardware fault - but you might want to try one more time, using a freshly downloaded v2.1 file.

Yes, you are right. I have successfully updated to new firmware 2.1(twice, factory reset also) , everything working fine except when the screensaver switch on but not always. Sometimes when I wake up the screen it's working fine.
I have thought also this is a hardware fault but when I updated from 1.1 to 1.2 this issue was gone. So I really don't know what is the problem @Shanling?

Jul 29, 2017 at 5:35 AM Post #1,347 of 2,460
Thank you @Shanling
The new lowpass filter mode, should there be an 'Off' option? If not, what is the default position?

With Gapless play 'OFF', there is a noise just before the next track starts, it sounds similar to a needle drop on a vinyl. Not present with gapless play 'ON'.

Comparing my M2s to my wifes Shanling M1, which has the same UI.
Scrolling the wheel on the circular sub menus clockwise the M2s highlights the icons in an anticlockwise direction, and anticlockwise, when scrolling clockwise.
It's much more intuitive using the wheel on the M1.

Default option, that would get you sound as on older firmwares, would be the "gradual" option.

There might be some noises present, due to hardware and software, so I would advice you to use the gapless function to get rid of them.

About direction of wheel, we focus on it to follow movement of your finger, which we believe is more intuitive than sticking to clockwise and anticlockwise movement of wheel.

guys anyone using se846 or really low impedance iems with m2s?

i'm using lz a4 (16 ohm) and they sing beautifully. but I'm not sure that what happens with lower impedance.

It's not about the impedance itself, but about impedance curve. Like IEMs with dynamic driver's, they can have really low impedance, yet be immune to any significant effect of higher output impedance. IEMs with multiple balanced armatures can be more affected, but still there it's question of design of particular model. On some difference is minimal, on other's it can be quite big, both good or bad.

Hi @Shanling,

I still waiting for your answer regarding my firmware issue,because I have stuck in 1.2 firmware? Could you give me any information how to solve this specific problem, please?
Thank you

We got another unit showing same screen problem into our hands, we found solution and it will be part of enxt firmware update, which should be released soon.

Hello everybody. I started to use the m2s with an aptx Bluetooth. It sounds really well but it seems like the Bluetooth antenna is not too powerful, I mean that you have to put the player close to the earphones. An example: If I put the player in my pocket and the Bluetooth earphones with the wire around my back neck the signal starts to come and go. Someone have some experience about this?

Can you please tell us, which headphones are you using? We are testing our palyers with wide range of headphones, never experienced such a big signal loss.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Jul 29, 2017 at 5:57 AM Post #1,348 of 2,460
Default option, that would get you sound as on older firmwares, would be the "gradual" option.

There might be some noises present, due to hardware and software, so I would advice you to use the gapless function to get rid of them.

About direction of wheel, we focus on it to follow movement of your finger, which we believe is more intuitive than sticking to clockwise and anticlockwise movement of wheel.

It's not about the impedance itself, but about impedance curve. Like IEMs with dynamic driver's, they can have really low impedance, yet be immune to any significant effect of higher output impedance. IEMs with multiple balanced armatures can be more affected, but still there it's question of design of particular model. On some difference is minimal, on other's it can be quite big, both good or bad.

We got another unit showing same screen problem into our hands, we found solution and it will be part of enxt firmware update, which should be released soon.

Can you please tell us, which headphones are you using? We are testing our palyers with wide range of headphones, never experienced such a big signal loss.

Hi @Shanling ,

Thank you for your response. Patiently waiting for the new firmware release.

Jul 31, 2017 at 10:21 PM Post #1,349 of 2,460
I received my new M2s a few days ago, great little player, excellent sound too.

Few weird things with the GUI like why does the "Now Playing" text in the status bar need to scroll back and forth in a tiny invisible text box when it would clearly fit?

A major concern for me is the EQ. The sound is massively worse with it turned on and I cant even get a good custom EQ going.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back