Shanling M2s Hi-Res DAP with AK4490 + MUSE8920, Bluetooth, & USB Out
May 2, 2017 at 1:49 AM Post #304 of 2,460
To help answer questions about M2s output impedance, I took some time tonight and measured frequency response with a few IEM in my collection using the same pink noise file on both Cayin N3 and Shanling M2s.

iBasso IT03 triple hybrid
IMG_0540.JPG

Jomo 6R multi-BA IEM
IMG_0538.JPG

UM Maestro multi-BA IEM
IMG_0539.JPG

I remeasured a couple times to make sure the results were consistent. A bit of loss in the bass region with all three IEM, but not much. I doubt it would make a significant impact for most of you, but everyone will have to decide for themselves. Hope that helps some of you guys!

Last edited:
May 2, 2017 at 4:04 AM Post #309 of 2,460
Hi folks. I've got some initial impressions. Only had a few hours with this but did some fun tests. These are going to MusicDay, and one other person for a little mini-tour. If you are in the UK and want to try out the player send me message.

I've got a gallery of pics on my blog, I'll post a few here. :)

In a little bit of a different take on gear galleries, this post has some initial impressions. Things I like:

• Tiny. Super tiny. This thing is smaller than a pack of cards. It looks like the perfect mate to a Mojo.
  • Can be used as external DAC
  • Bluetooth receive and transmit (Cayin N3 does this too)
  • Bright and beautiful screen
  • Drove sensitive multi-BA iems: I tried this with the Noble Kaiser Encore and it sounded really good. On RHA DACAMP L1, the 4.4Ω output impedance caused audible distortion—that didn’t happen with the 4.8Ω output on the M2s.
  • Drove insensitive IEMs: both the RHA CL1 and CL750 sounded excellent with it which prompted me to
  • Drive the HD600 better than the more powerful Aune M1S and Cayin i5 (from memory), no distortions in the sound signature but requires maximum volume. I’m looking forward to more testing with this. I’ll do a comparison between the HiFiMAN SuperMini and Echobox Explorer on this when it comes back from touring.
  • Native DSD256, DSD128 (DoP) as external DAC
  • Intuitive operating system
  • Excellent, thoughtful ergonomics
  • USB out, line out
  • Comes with screen protectors
  • Can have loads of playlists
Things I’m less into:

• Box is super tight, it was very hard to open
  • No balanced output
  • Playlists have static names that may not fit your intent
  • Fiddly screen protectors, none applied—I managed to get one on the back
  • Genre tab is just a list of songs, which is friggin’ awful—if HiBy touches the OS, this seems to be a common flaw. Get with it HiBy.
  • 1 microSD and no internal storage
33526267764_c318265bd9_b.jpg
34368037085_a9a4244e96_b.jpg

34237656271_2814329db9_b.jpg

Last edited:
May 2, 2017 at 4:06 AM Post #310 of 2,460
Damn website update, I can not quote or add a reputation!
The like button functions like add reputation, but without comments. I used to hide comments in people's reputation to start conversations. It didn't ever start a conversation. :|

May 2, 2017 at 4:17 AM Post #312 of 2,460
Hi folks. I've got some initial impressions. Only had a few hours with this but did some fun tests. These are going to MusicDay, and one other person for a little mini-tour. If you are in the UK and want to try out the player send me message.

I've got a gallery of pics on my blog, I'll post a few here. :)

In a little bit of a different take on gear galleries, this post has some initial impressions. Things I like:

• Tiny. Super tiny. This thing is smaller than a pack of cards. It looks like the perfect mate to a Mojo.
  • Can be used as external DAC
  • Bluetooth receive and transmit (Cayin N3 does this too)
  • Bright and beautiful screen
  • Drove sensitive multi-BA iems: I tried this with the Noble Kaiser Encore and it sounded really good. On RHA DACAMP L1, the 4.4Ω output impedance caused audible distortion—that didn’t happen with the 4.8Ω output on the M2s.
  • Drove insensitive IEMs: both the RHA CL1 and CL750 sounded excellent with it which prompted me to
  • Drive the HD600 better than the more powerful Aune M1S and Cayin i5 (from memory), no distortions in the sound signature but requires maximum volume. I’m looking forward to more testing with this. I’ll do a comparison between the HiFiMAN SuperMini and Echobox Explorer on this when it comes back from touring.
  • Native DSD256, DSD128 (DoP) as external DAC
  • Intuitive operating system
  • Excellent, thoughtful ergonomics
  • Optical out, line out
  • Comes with screen protectors
  • Can have loads of playlists

Does it really have Optical out?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back