Shanling M2s Hi-Res DAP with AK4490 + MUSE8920, Bluetooth, & USB Out
Apr 29, 2017 at 7:05 PM Post #272 of 2,460
@jaxz - That's the Linum Super BaX cable. Good stuff. Very lightweight, low resistance cable. Disappears very nicely in use. I do love their other cables, too. But their other cables do have higher resistance, so they can alter sound signature for hybrid and multi-BA IEM similarly to high OI source.

Regarding the pairing, IT03 actually sounded pretty darn good with M2s. Good bass response, lower mids were warmed up a slight bit (which is something I've anyways wanted from IT03), but highs were a bit grainy/harsh. That might be M2s needing burn in, though. Need more time to properly judge. First impressions were positive, though.

Apr 29, 2017 at 7:28 PM Post #273 of 2,460
@nmatheis thanks. Seems to be a very good cable. I have the CB12 that I use with the FiiO X5II.

Anyone can compare to the xDuoo X10, they have similar hardware architecture. I have the X10 but lack of gapeless and audible clicks between tracks it's very annoying...

Apr 29, 2017 at 9:36 PM Post #274 of 2,460
@jaxz - I haven't tried the iBasso balanced cable yet. My understanding is that it's just the balanced version of the stock IT03 cable. Is there something besides 2.5mm balanced that distinguishes it?

Haven't tried the X10 because I've heard it's got to many issues and unlike Aune, Xduoo didn't seem to when on fixing them.

Anyways, wasn't this the Shanling M2s thread? You seem to have distracted me, lol...

Apr 29, 2017 at 10:44 PM Post #275 of 2,460
Begin Public Service Announcement

I've seen quite a few posts recently (and had some PM's) asking which has better sound quality - Cayin N3 or Shanling M2s. I'm going to state right now that I'm not going to tell you that one has better SQ vs the other. What I will do is listen to your needs / preferences and try my best to help you make the right decision. To some that might seem like a cop-out, but it's not. It's simply me putting my philosophy on helping others into practice, and it actually takes more energy on my part than simply saying one is better than the other. I hope people can understand and respect that.

End Public Service Announcement

Apr 30, 2017 at 1:09 AM Post #279 of 2,460
I do not think that it can beat my m2 & m5, and I do not need digital transport, so I'll pass by

I'll need more time. I doubt it'll replace your M5. It might be of interest to you as a replacement for your M2, though. Very interesting evolution going on here from Shanling with M2 > M2s in both physical design and components.

Apr 30, 2017 at 2:38 AM Post #281 of 2,460
NMatheis
Now I am super intrigued by this unit. Can you elaborate a bit more on the advantages the M2S has over the M2?

Also, are there any key comparison thoughts on various features of the Cayin N3 vs the M2S. I suspect in many ways this will be shades of grey but I respect your thoughts. SQ is a primary concern, ha!

Apr 30, 2017 at 9:36 AM Post #283 of 2,460
I imagine the m2s is easier to navigate through songs and menus than the N3 (wish they made the capacitive buttons a bit further apart) and I imagine they sound is pretty close sharing the same DAC and similar specs.

Just educated guesses :) I will find out soon, but I haven't read anything negative so it seems Shanling has made a nice little dap.

Anticipation, cue Heinze ketchup bottle pouring.

Apr 30, 2017 at 4:24 PM Post #285 of 2,460
@abitdeef - I haven't met a bad Shanling DAP yet. In early days, M2s seems to follow this trend.

Good to know, can't wait to hear more from you. The vid you did sealed the deal for me :) I can't refuse such a small cute dap lol. Worst case scenario- I use it as a transport or Bluetooth car use.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back