Shanling M2s Hi-Res DAP with AK4490 + MUSE8920, Bluetooth, & USB Out
Nov 26, 2017 at 12:58 PM Post #1,967 of 2,460
Are you guys happy with the eq implementation on M2s?

Well, actually I do not use that, because it reduces the volume and sound quality. To tell the truth, I am not impressed with its EQ
Maybe in future software Shanling fixes that, and with EQ sound becomes much more colorful and life. But at the moment it does not seem effective to me.

Nov 26, 2017 at 1:03 PM Post #1,968 of 2,460
Well, actually I do not use that, because it reduces the volume and sound quality. To tell the truth, I am not impressed with its EQ
Maybe in future software Shanling fixes that, and with EQ sound becomes much more colorful and life. But at the moment it does not seem effective to me.
Exactly my feelings. Was surprised to see no one mentioned it before.
Whatever changes I make it makes the treble congested. Also bass never actually increases. Fiio X3ii had the same problem but they rectified in the later updates. Hopefully @Shanling does something about it soon.

Nov 26, 2017 at 2:50 PM Post #1,972 of 2,460
i not happy)... but still i use it.
and if i set it all to zero, it reduce volume,
it very strange.

This isn't strange at all. It's an intentional choice on Shanling's part to reduce the overall volume by the same number of dB as you can increase each EQ band so that you won't get distortion if you max out the bands. Most DAPs do this.

Nov 26, 2017 at 3:24 PM Post #1,973 of 2,460
This isn't strange at all. It's an intentional choice on Shanling's part to reduce the overall volume by the same number of dB as you can increase each EQ band so that you won't get distortion if you max out the bands. Most DAPs do this.

Just out of curiosity, is it a variable cut in volume or a fixed cut as soon as the EQ is activated? If it were variable I would expect no cut if it's activated with everything set to zero. And yes this a proper handling of a DAP's EQ, so clipping doesn't result. The decrease in volume may be the source of any apparent sound quality decline, as subjectively louder sounds "better" to most people even if it really isnt.

Nov 26, 2017 at 4:49 PM Post #1,976 of 2,460
Does the M2s have any advantages over the M1, in terms of partnering with a Mojo? (IOS Hiby app)

Wondering about firmware niggles (I think the M1 lacks auto shut off at the moment) or design niggles (unintended jiggling of the wheel in a pocket, etc).

Nov 26, 2017 at 5:47 PM Post #1,977 of 2,460
Are you guys happy with the eq implementation on M2s?

No, it sounds muddy and kills the sound stage. Changing the eq just goes from bad to worse.

Completely disagree with these guys saying it’s just a 6db reduction that causes a “perceived” drop in sound quality. It is actually bad.

Love everything else about the player though for its price.

Nov 26, 2017 at 6:03 PM Post #1,978 of 2,460
No, it sounds muddy and kills the sound stage. Changing the eq just goes from bad to worse.

Completely disagree with these guys saying it’s just a 6db reduction that causes a “perceived” drop in sound quality. It is actually bad.

Love everything else about the player though for its price.

What do you mean?

I mean, that literally shouldn't happen - it isn't something supposed to happen, literally it doesn't do that.

I've not been using it almost at all, being quite happy with M2s, but I will run some tests and confirm, although I haven't noticed anything like that on mine.

My friendly recommendation is to look carefully into the matter, and if you're absolutely sure that this happens, to try and get it exchanged.

Please keep in mind that an increase in loudness can be perceived as an increase in clarity, effect which is documented quite well.

Nov 26, 2017 at 6:17 PM Post #1,979 of 2,460
What do you mean?

I mean, that literally shouldn't happen - it isn't something supposed to happen, literally it doesn't do that.

I've not been using it almost at all, being quite happy with M2s, but I will run some tests and confirm, although I haven't noticed anything like that on mine.

My friendly recommendation is to look carefully into the matter, and if you're absolutely sure that this happens, to try and get it exchanged.

Please keep in mind that an increase in loudness can be perceived as an increase in clarity, effect which is documented quite well.

See posts above mine. I’m not the one saying there is a 6db reduction when EQ is turned on.

All I’m saying is the effect on sound quality by the EQ is horrible. I’ve never experienced anything that bad. It sounds fantastic without the EQ but some of us like to set it to our own preference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back