Shanling M2s Hi-Res DAP with AK4490 + MUSE8920, Bluetooth, & USB Out
Sep 5, 2017 at 6:01 AM Post #1,533 of 2,460
Hello, I just got my M2s today but when I try to update the FW the system just restarts but nothing happens and all my setting reset itself like when you reset factory setting except there is no language choosing screen.

edit- just use the clonner app and it work now.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2017 at 6:49 AM Post #1,534 of 2,460
Hi!

I would like to seek advice for M2s. I want to use it as transport for my mojo. After reading this thread, i wanted to buy so went down to the shop to test before buying.

Currently, I am using Opus#1 metal as transport by optical. So I test M2s using the usb cable to mojo. I notice that the sound is not airy and better high treble for M2s compare to Opus #1 metal. I wonder if it is the issue of optical and usb for the sound difference? I back off after this. I test quite a while although the difference is not day and night but notice the sound difference. I prefer the matching of Opus #1 metal with mojo using optical than M2s by usb. Can anyone explain? I would like to buy M2s as it is small form than Opus #1.

Sep 5, 2017 at 8:06 AM Post #1,535 of 2,460
Hi!

I would like to seek advice for M2s. I want to use it as transport for my mojo. After reading this thread, i wanted to buy so went down to the shop to test before buying.

Currently, I am using Opus#1 metal as transport by optical. So I test M2s using the usb cable to mojo. I notice that the sound is not airy and better high treble for M2s compare to Opus #1 metal. I wonder if it is the issue of optical and usb for the sound difference? I back off after this. I test quite a while although the difference is not day and night but notice the sound difference. I prefer the matching of Opus #1 metal with mojo using optical than M2s by usb. Can anyone explain? I would like to buy M2s as it is small form than Opus #1.

i have all 3 devices (well i have the non-Metal #1), and like you i also connect them the same way as you are. i do hear differences - the staging is a bit compressed on the M2s/Mojo pairing and they also sound much warmer.

to 'answer' your question. there are a lot of discussions here that using different transports will affect SQ. a few more discussions on using different ways of connecting them will affect SQ. the 'closest' way of comparing the 2 is only if the #1 has USB Audio Out and/or the M2s has Optical Out - in that way, you can 'at least' eliminate one of the factors - but they don't. there are explanations on materials used, interference, electrical properties, etc. that people will try to equate those in SQ differences. So yeah, I hope I was able to give you an overview.

Sep 5, 2017 at 8:38 AM Post #1,536 of 2,460
Wohoo, M2s arrived!

My thoughts so far:

- SMALL, this is so much smaller than I expected it to be! Really portable. Haven't tested how good it is with USB output, USB dac or such yet, but if this works as a transport, it has to be one of the smallest and most portable transports.

- Black, shiny, Glossy, Sexy

- No screen protectors were applied on mine, I applied them myself.

- BT works with no problems

- Sound is much better than I expected. Close to AP200 (I left AP200 in Bucharest and I'm on a trip, can't put them head-to-head right now)

- The whole software just works

- Wasn't expecting to get used to the lateral button thingy, but I did and it works awesomely

- Scanning my music took about the same time as FiiO X5ii, so it went really fast

- Hiby works great on Android as well

- This thing looks nice!

Sep 5, 2017 at 10:57 AM Post #1,537 of 2,460
i have all 3 devices (well i have the non-Metal #1), and like you i also connect them the same way as you are. i do hear differences - the staging is a bit compressed on the M2s/Mojo pairing and they also sound much warmer.

to 'answer' your question. there are a lot of discussions here that using different transports will affect SQ. a few more discussions on using different ways of connecting them will affect SQ. the 'closest' way of comparing the 2 is only if the #1 has USB Audio Out and/or the M2s has Optical Out - in that way, you can 'at least' eliminate one of the factors - but they don't. there are explanations on materials used, interference, electrical properties, etc. that people will try to equate those in SQ differences. So yeah, I hope I was able to give you an overview.

Thanks for the overview! I thought that i can use any dap as transport for mojo so thinking M2s is a good form with the bluetooth control from handphone which is good! But really disappointed on the sound when i tried it as a combo for mojo. From mojo thread, i understand that Rob also prefer to use optical instead of usb or coaxial. It is hard to find suitable short optical cable and not durable too. The combo for Opus#1 metal is not compact enough although I like the sound from this combo. Hope to hear any suggestion. Thanks so much!

Sep 5, 2017 at 11:30 AM Post #1,538 of 2,460
Wohoo, M2s arrived!

My thoughts so far:

- SMALL, this is so much smaller than I expected it to be! Really portable. Haven't tested how good it is with USB output, USB dac or such yet, but if this works as a transport, it has to be one of the smallest and most portable transports.

- Black, shiny, Glossy, Sexy

- No screen protectors were applied on mine, I applied them myself.

- BT works with no problems

- Sound is much better than I expected. Close to AP200 (I left AP200 in Bucharest and I'm on a trip, can't put them head-to-head right now)

- The whole software just works

- Wasn't expecting to get used to the lateral button thingy, but I did and it works awesomely

- Scanning my music took about the same time as FiiO X5ii, so it went really fast

- Hiby works great on Android as well

- This thing looks nice!

Super glad you like the device too. All I can say is, "welcome, you have now seen the light" :-D

The only other 2 players that work as transports that I can think of that's smaller than the M2s would be the M1 and AP60

Thanks for the overview! I thought that i can use any dap as transport for mojo so thinking M2s is a good form with the bluetooth control from handphone which is good! But really disappointed on the sound when i tried it as a combo for mojo. From mojo thread, i understand that Rob also prefer to use optical instead of usb or coaxial. It is hard to find suitable short optical cable and not durable too. The combo for Opus#1 metal is not compact enough although I like the sound from this combo. Hope to hear any suggestion. Thanks so much!

Assuming that the Mojo's USB input has been properly implemented, there really should not be any difference between USB and optical input. If you hear a difference (even slight) this is most likely due to a change in volume level. It is extremely important to measure and volume match when comparing

Sep 5, 2017 at 12:00 PM Post #1,539 of 2,460

yes, you can use any dap that supports digital out with the Mojo - it's just that there will be subtle differences to SQ. but in my opinion, some of these differences will be lost in everyday noise - specially when you use your rig on the go. So for me, i still use the M2s/Mojo combo since it's "kinda" small for me to carry everywhere. and when i truly want to "listen" to music, then i pair the Mojo to something else. Just trust your ears and you'll never go wrong! :thumbsup:

Sep 5, 2017 at 4:40 PM Post #1,540 of 2,460
Super glad you like the device too. All I can say is, "welcome, you have now seen the light" :-D

The only other 2 players that work as transports that I can think of that's smaller than the M2s would be the M1 and AP60

Assuming that the Mojo's USB input has been properly implemented, there really should not be any difference between USB and optical input. If you hear a difference (even slight) this is most likely due to a change in volume level. It is extremely important to measure and volume match when comparing

And I also finally ordered a USB 3.0 OTG!!

Hope it will work just fine

https://altex.ro/adaptor-usb-c-la-usb-3-1-gen-1-trust-20967-negru

Sep 5, 2017 at 5:09 PM Post #1,541 of 2,460
Woah, M2s sounds awesome! After more testing, the sound is growing on me!

Should I have expected the top end to have been recessed? I've been mostly using it via BT with my smartphone, I'm not sure if there is any EQ enabled, but the top end is pretty clear to those ears, it has good amounts of energy and impact, and the low end is amazingly well layered and has great amounts of detail, I wasn't expecting M2s to be this good actually , especially given its small size!!:smile_phones:

I am really impressed with M2s! It is small, inexpensive, works like a charm, and it also looks kinda cute! The sound is too awesome! (using HiFiMAN RE2000 right now)

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2017 at 10:33 AM Post #1,543 of 2,460
Woah, M2s sounds awesome! After more testing, the sound is growing on me!

Should I have expected the top end to have been recessed? I've been mostly using it via BT with my smartphone, I'm not sure if there is any EQ enabled, but the top end is pretty clear to those ears, it has good amounts of energy and impact, and the low end is amazingly well layered and has great amounts of detail, I wasn't expecting M2s to be this good actually , especially given its small size!!:smile_phones:

I am really impressed with M2s! It is small, inexpensive, works like a charm, and it also looks kinda cute! The sound is too awesome! (using HiFiMAN RE2000 right now)

I also thought the highs have really nice energy too, no complaints here at all. I think my definition of warm is slightly different from other's. I consider fiio x5 iii and say like some older Cowons and Sonys warm. Although the m2s definitely has a slight bump in the low end, I don't call it warm.

Anyways glad you like it, for the price I think its the best, although I've seen the Sony nw-a 35 on amazon for under 200 dollars, which is also really nice. It's a great time for 'budget' daps.

So much editing on this post, I guess it's not a good idea to post first thing in the morning before my tea. :)

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2017 at 4:22 AM Post #1,544 of 2,460
Anyone got some advice? I received my M2s yesterday and noticed the wheel is relatively imprecise. It very often seems to do 2 jumps at once so is quite annoying to use. Next thing is after just 1h or so of usage I picked it up and noticed the wheel was actually half-way falling out. I saw it is basically just clipped in there so I pushed it back in until I felt it clicked. So it's back to normal but it gets me thinking whether it's not a bit too "fragile" to almost fall out after 1h of usage and I'm afraid of losing it at some point.

Is the lack of precision something normal? Will this be resolved with the future firmware update that allows to adjust the sensitivity or do I have a faulty device here?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back