Shanling M1s - Ideal Compact Portable Player
Mar 15, 2023 at 11:41 AM Post #363 of 949
Anybody any idea yet on how the M1S (Single ES9038Q2M) sound quality compares to M3 Ultra (Dual ESS ES9219C) and M6 Ultra (Quad AKM AK4493SEQ) :)

Mar 15, 2023 at 1:05 PM Post #365 of 949

It is quite smooth but sometimes it is not sensitive (like when I try to change the Artist sort)

Is Tidal working online at least ?

And one more question: does it come with a screen protector installed ?

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2023 at 11:11 AM Post #370 of 949
Just because of Tidal missing? Just connect to your phone in the time being. As long as the UI is stable, sounds good and battery life is good.
Not the point at all!

Name another product you would pay full price for that isn't complete when you buy it? Until you force the manufacturers to release complete products on first release this practice will never change. There isn't even an eta on when it will be added! This product release was delayed for months and they still couldn't get this feature added?

Would you buy a car if the dealer said we will let you know when you can bring your car back so we can install the radio or the windshield wipers. Do what you want but I don't put down my hard earned money on something unless I am getting everything I am paying for.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2023 at 12:50 PM Post #371 of 949
Not the point at all!

Name another product you would pay full price for that isn't complete when you buy it? Until you force the manufacturers to release complete products on first release this practice will never change. There isn't even an eta on when it will be added! This product release was delayed for months and they still couldn't get this feature added?

Would you buy a car if the dealer said we will let you know when you can bring your car back so we can install the radio or the windshield wipers. Do what you want but I don't put down my hard earned money on something unless I am getting everything I am paying for.
While I do agree with you that companies should release a complete or finish product the industry in various sector has changed in recent years. Just look at video games, most games even physical games are sometimes released with half-baked games or games with serious issues that are eventually patched down the line. Same thing can be said about various electronic products we purchase in this day and age.

Take the Sony NW-A306 audio player for instance, currently there is an issue with the lack of bass frequency produce by the music player. This example illustrates that sometimes companies do not find and fix all the potential issues of their devices. The digital audio player market is a very niche market, and we need to hold companies accountable for lack of features or major issues with their products, but Shanling isn't the only company in this product space. Hiby has various software issues on many of their products specifically lack software innovation with non-android dap. I can speak of the R3 2022 personally and the ton of software bugs and lack of basic music player features on the device for a long time. Companies should release great products that are perform at a "reasonable" level (hardware and software included) but none of these companies are perfect in the digital audio player market.

I think your example of car and lack essential features does not apply to do this situation exactly because you do not need to send your device (or possession) back to anyplace (factory, dealer, etc.). All you have to do is install the update when it becomes available. In your example, you describe a case where you need to buy the device then return to a location to add the features already paid for but in this case installing the update does not negatively affect you as the example you describe.

Yes, I do want companies to release complete products and yes, I do want companies to diagnose and fix issues with their products prior to release but you can wait for the device when it includes these features. You have mentioned the concerns of costs in the past which is valid point but Shanling as a company sells their products at a discount during holiday season to encourage more purchase, but they earn far less money from a device when its discounted. I feel like you ultimately want perfection in a digital audio player at a very low price point and this balance is very difficult to find and companies struggle to meet this balance while also being profitable. Its ultimately up to you if you want and when you want to purchase the device but complaining over and over about the lack of features at launch can become annoying as a viewer of this thread. If you are really disappointed about this lack of Tidal support (at this time) then email them directly or privately message them. Reach out to Shanling directly and get some real answers rather than complaining on this thread hoping for Shanling to answer your comment!

Mar 16, 2023 at 4:17 PM Post #373 of 949
While I do agree with you that companies should release a complete or finish product the industry in various sector has changed in recent years. Just look at video games, most games even physical games are sometimes released with half-baked games or games with serious issues that are eventually patched down the line. Same thing can be said about various electronic products we purchase in this day and age.

Take the Sony NW-A306 audio player for instance, currently there is an issue with the lack of bass frequency produce by the music player. This example illustrates that sometimes companies do not find and fix all the potential issues of their devices. The digital audio player market is a very niche market, and we need to hold companies accountable for lack of features or major issues with their products, but Shanling isn't the only company in this product space. Hiby has various software issues on many of their products specifically lack software innovation with non-android dap. I can speak of the R3 2022 personally and the ton of software bugs and lack of basic music player features on the device for a long time. Companies should release great products that are perform at a "reasonable" level (hardware and software included) but none of these companies are perfect in the digital audio player market.

I think your example of car and lack essential features does not apply to do this situation exactly because you do not need to send your device (or possession) back to anyplace (factory, dealer, etc.). All you have to do is install the update when it becomes available. In your example, you describe a case where you need to buy the device then return to a location to add the features already paid for but in this case installing the update does not negatively affect you as the example you describe.

Yes, I do want companies to release complete products and yes, I do want companies to diagnose and fix issues with their products prior to release but you can wait for the device when it includes these features. You have mentioned the concerns of costs in the past which is valid point but Shanling as a company sells their products at a discount during holiday season to encourage more purchase, but they earn far less money from a device when its discounted. I feel like you ultimately want perfection in a digital audio player at a very low price point and this balance is very difficult to find and companies struggle to meet this balance while also being profitable. Its ultimately up to you if you want and when you want to purchase the device but complaining over and over about the lack of features at launch can become annoying as a viewer of this thread. If you are really disappointed about this lack of Tidal support (at this time) then email them directly or privately message them. Reach out to Shanling directly and get some real answers rather than complaining on this thread hoping for Shanling to answer your comment!
My example is based on the principle and not meant to be a specific comparison. You can pick any product like smartphone that needs a firmware update to work properly etc.. No one is forcing you to buy a product immediately after it is released.

The fact is a manufacturer should be very upfront when a product is released with features missing or not working. I don't know how widely known it was that Tidal was not functional yet. At least make sure you announce it obviously and maybe offer a discount to buyers who are willing to buy one without these features initially working.

I have been a beta tester before which is really what buyers on first release are. But I was always given a significant discount for my assistance in beta testing products. Here you pay the full price to do the same thing and wait an unknown period before the product you paid full price for works fully.

Mar 17, 2023 at 12:56 AM Post #374 of 949
There is a symptom of the device stopping while searching for music. Please fix it in the next update.

Tried test:
Watch the device in a stationary state. Check with memory (hlf, llf) format and other memory. Format change (fat32, expat, ntfs), cluster change.Check file errors (mp3 test, MP3 Diags, foobar2000), delete files at stops, and delete files to reduce the total number. factory initialization. Compare when you put it in the m1s and when you put it in the PC. Compare root and sub folders

Scroll Stop Resolved - Remove error file from sd card on pc and initialize m1s

Problems caused by ALAC md5 checksum inconsistency.

Resolution complete

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back