Shanling M1: An iPod Nano Competitor / DAP || USB DAC || USB Transport || Bluetooth 4.0 + aptX || DSD
Jul 13, 2017 at 7:20 PM Post #2,761 of 3,480
What capacity cards are you using?
Are they formatted as FAT32 or exFAT?
I've got a 200GB Sandisk microSD card (formatted as exFAT using my Win7 PC) in my M1, and it works fine.

Is your M1 in its leather case, or not?
If it's not positioned properly, maybe the case is pressing on buttons, and affecting the bootup.

200 Gb exFAT cards, and no case on the M1. I have some higher-speed 256 Gb cards I'll try later tonight. It's obviously something to do with the microSD cards, because the M1 boots up in seconds with no card present. BTW, I'm using the 3.0 firmware.

Jul 13, 2017 at 10:29 PM Post #2,764 of 3,480
Thanks for the suggestion, @DBaldock9 - it looks like I had a bad batch of 200 GB SanDisk cards. No problems with the 256 GB Samsung EVO cards

They may not be bad - have you tried to wipe and reformat one of them?

Jul 14, 2017 at 1:42 AM Post #2,766 of 3,480
BTW, the title of this thread is an insult to Shanling. This little device is way ahead of every generation Apple iPod.
Only that the M1 was releases several years later when all of the ipods are no longer produced. So the title is just right. If you want to compete you need to be better.

Then there is the battery life. Which most modern Daps still struggling with. Hence, the reason I still can't leave my iPod classic.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2017 at 3:03 AM Post #2,767 of 3,480
Big update for Shanling Audio M1 - Firmware 3.0

1) HiBY link is now officially released
2) Added fade-in and fade-out feature
3) Added lowpass filter setting - steep or gradual
4) Few tweaks to visual design of UI, including immersing status bar
5) Few translaltions corrections
6) Fixes for different small bugs

ZIP file also includes latest version of HiBy link app for Android, but stability between devices may vary

Download here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B03-whTtNzHmNnhJeTdRbU5STVU

What does the low pass filter actually do?

Jul 14, 2017 at 3:41 AM Post #2,769 of 3,480
200 Gb exFAT cards, and no case on the M1. I have some higher-speed 256 Gb cards I'll try later tonight. It's obviously something to do with the microSD cards, because the M1 boots up in seconds with no card present. BTW, I'm using the 3.0 firmware.
I have seen someone on facebook audio grup had this problem , he told to update to newer firmware and the problem was solved

Jul 14, 2017 at 9:35 AM Post #2,770 of 3,480
Only that the M1 was releases several years later when all of the ipods are no longer produced. So the title is just right. If you want to compete you need to be better.

Then there is the battery life. Which most modern Daps still struggling with. Hence, the reason I still can't leave my iPod classic.

IMHO, Apple have long since peaked and are a poor yardstick against which to compare any high-quality audio equipment. We should get together with your iPod classic and a sledgehammer at the next CanJam and help break that emotional attachment you still have to it

I have seen someone on facebook audio grup had this problem , he told to update to newer firmware and the problem was solved

I'm already using the newest firmware (3..0).

Jul 14, 2017 at 11:39 AM Post #2,771 of 3,480
IMHO, Apple have long since peaked and are a poor yardstick against which to compare any high-quality audio equipment. We should get together with your iPod classic and a sledgehammer at the next CanJam and help break that emotional attachment you still have to it
).

That's true from a sound quality standpoint, but far from true from a UI / ease of use standpoint.

I have yet to use a DAP that has as smooth a UI and is as a responsive and well designed as a good ol' iPod Classic. I love my FiiO X1 (1st gen), but it definitely lags, and I hate touch screens for navigation so I am not crazy about the idea of getting an Android-powered DAP, either, with all the lagginess that entails (unless you spend a lot more than iPod Classic money.)

Jul 14, 2017 at 1:47 PM Post #2,772 of 3,480

I'm already using the newest firmware (3..0).
Is it forever bootlop or just several bootloop?? Was it go to m1 homescreen?? Or continue reboot after shanling start logo? Did you try with ntfs card?? Perhaps it could help

Jul 16, 2017 at 1:57 PM Post #2,774 of 3,480
With the new firmware is it possible to control Android apps such as Spotify remotely via Bluetooth?

If not, are there plans to implement this in the upcoming updates?

Currently, the HiBy Link app is designed to allow the Android / IOS device to control the Bluetooth linked DAP (running a HiBy version of Firmware).
It doesn't allow the DAP to control the HiBy Link app running on the Android / IOS device.
If it did allow the DAP to control the device, any 3rd party apps would have to provide an API (Application Programming Interface) that the HiBy Link app could access.

@Joe Bloggs is a developer with HiBy, and could possibly answer questions about what sorts of features might be added in the future.

Jul 17, 2017 at 4:25 AM Post #2,775 of 3,480
Isn't the API for general media/music interface universal? I.e. Controls for play/pause, previous/next track and vol up/down (understandably playlist navigation etc might not be doable due to uniqueness but standard media controls should be able to be implemented).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back