Shanling M1: An iPod Nano Competitor / DAP || USB DAC || USB Transport || Bluetooth 4.0 + aptX || DSD
Mar 29, 2017 at 12:38 AM Post #2,506 of 3,480
I returned mine, looking to swap to an N3 or M1s.

If you're looking for a conventional DAP with more modern features, go with N3. If you want best SQ for the price, go with M1s. Just be forewarned that to get best sound out of M1s, you have to use 2.5mm balanced out - and M1s doesn't do gapless well and has an issue where the first split-second of songs is cut off (a good example is Tom Sawyer by Rush where the initial drum hit isn't heard with M1s).

Mar 29, 2017 at 3:43 AM Post #2,507 of 3,480
If you're looking for a conventional DAP with more modern features, go with N3. If you want best SQ for the price, go with M1s. Just be forewarned that to get best sound out of M1s, you have to use 2.5mm balanced out - and M1s doesn't do gapless well and has an issue where the first split-second of songs is cut off (a good example is Tom Sawyer by Rush where the initial drum hit isn't heard with M1s).

I like your M1s which have a balanced out. Where can I get one? 
biggrin.gif

Mar 29, 2017 at 10:53 AM Post #2,508 of 3,480
Looks like the cayin n3 is better than the m1.. I use my m1 purely as a transport for mojo and it works quite well but I've come to realise that the scroll wheel can be Annoying sometimes . Has anyone ordered the n3 yet ?

Mar 29, 2017 at 11:06 AM Post #2,509 of 3,480
Looks like the cayin n3 is better than the m1.. I use my m1 purely as a transport for mojo and it works quite well but I've come to realise that the scroll wheel can be Annoying sometimes . Has anyone ordered the n3 yet ?

I own the M1 and have a Massdrop tracking number for my N3, updates to follow!

Mar 29, 2017 at 12:01 PM Post #2,512 of 3,480
I'm very happy with my combination of M1 piped out to Chord Mojo but does anyone do a nice braided cable (or just a soft cable) "off-the-shelf"?

I have a short cable (right angled plugs on both ends) from HK that does the job but the cable itself is quite stiff and I feel that it may slightly wear the sockets.

Thanks!

Mar 30, 2017 at 3:19 PM Post #2,514 of 3,480
  I bought it here for $122 recently. Follow the seller, there're the lowest prices I could find. In addition you'll get leather case, sport bandages and protective film.

My usual AliEx seller dropped mine to $100 for me
wink_face.gif
I have found if you contact them and let them know you are a Head-Fi member some will give a great deal
bigsmile_face.gif

Mar 30, 2017 at 4:49 PM Post #2,515 of 3,480
On replay or resume, either from a shutdown or pause, does the track start playing on own or do you need to also press play?  I'm used to the FiiO, which plays on resume, but I just bought a PlenueD, which does not (you need to press play).  Because of the way I use my player, the PlenueD playback is a real pain and I want to try something besides the FiiO.  I'm looking at the Massdrop offer for this M1

Mar 30, 2017 at 6:19 PM Post #2,516 of 3,480
On replay or resume, either from a shutdown or pause, does the track start playing on own or do you need to also press play?  I'm used to the FiiO, which plays on resume, but I just bought a PlenueD, which does not (you need to press play).  Because of the way I use my player, the PlenueD playback is a real pain and I want to try something besides the FiiO.  I'm looking at the Massdrop offer for this M1

The M1 also requires one to press the wheel to begin play.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back