Shanling M1: An iPod Nano Competitor / DAP || USB DAC || USB Transport || Bluetooth 4.0 + aptX || DSD
Mar 20, 2017 at 2:40 PM Post #2,476 of 3,480

Hi, I have just received the cable for connecting my Shanling M1 to FIIO Q1, it works perfectly!!!!! The right price for an adeguate amp to Shanling M1.... great sound for 1\8 of Mojo price........

Mar 20, 2017 at 4:33 PM Post #2,477 of 3,480
  Hi, I have just received the cable for connecting my Shanling M1 to FIIO Q1, it works perfectly!!!!! The right price for an adeguate amp to Shanling M1.... great sound for 1\8 of Mojo price........

I'm actually waiting on the same cable to connect the M1 to my Mojo. 

Mar 21, 2017 at 2:42 PM Post #2,478 of 3,480
Okay...some thoughts on the M1. I had the pleasure of borrowing a unit from someone for a week and spent a little time with it. I used it strictly as a DAP. No bluetooth, no DAC, no nothing. Just plugged my cans in and enjoyed it. I used my DIY Ypsilon woodies, the VE Monk and the Quian29. 

It has that Shanling signature. Everytime I hear one of their devices, it's there. Smooth, sexy, very pleasing. Not too warm, but definitely not bright. Its a sweet little Goldilocks kind of thing I suppose. I preferred the M1 to my Sansa Clip+ (Rockboxed) and my iPod Classic (modded to 256GB SD storage). It was bested by my Aune M1s and my FiiO X1 (gen 1). 

The scroll wheel doubling as the select button was a little annoying, but not a deal-breaker. The device is small though, so holding it in my larger-size hands (I'm a bigger guy...6 foot 3 inches) and manipulating the scroll wheel, then having to use it to select as well got a little fiddly at times.

I had no software problems, and I liked how the display filled with the album art when it was available. I am also glad the screen is not a touch screen. Lord, what a nightmare that would have been.

For the price, I really liked it. Well worth it, especially as a backup device in your backpack, or for walking around town.

Mar 22, 2017 at 8:50 AM Post #2,479 of 3,480
Okay...some thoughts on the M1. I had the pleasure of borrowing a unit from someone for a week and spent a little time with it. I used it strictly as a DAP. No bluetooth, no DAC, no nothing. Just plugged my cans in and enjoyed it. I used my DIY Ypsilon woodies, the VE Monk and the Quian29. 

It has that Shanling signature. Everytime I hear one of their devices, it's there. Smooth, sexy, very pleasing. Not too warm, but definitely not bright. Its a sweet little Goldilocks kind of thing I suppose. I preferred the M1 to my Sansa Clip+ (Rockboxed) and my iPod Classic (modded to 256GB SD storage). It was bested by my Aune M1s and my FiiO X1 (gen 1). 

The scroll wheel doubling as the select button was a little annoying, but not a deal-breaker. The device is small though, so holding it in my larger-size hands (I'm a bigger guy...6 foot 3 inches) and manipulating the scroll wheel, then having to use it to select as well got a little fiddly at times.

I had no software problems, and I liked how the display filled with the album art when it was available. I am also glad the screen is not a touch screen. Lord, what a nightmare that would have been.

For the price, I really liked it. Well worth it, especially as a backup device in your backpack, or for walking around town.

Nice write up! Comparisons to similar products will surely help others decide! Looking forward to my time with the critter.:thumbsup::sunglasses:

Mar 23, 2017 at 9:31 AM Post #2,480 of 3,480
I like this DAP a lot. The Bluetooth connection is the strongest I ever seen, no dropouts ever.
The only problem for me is that then the screen is off and the DAP is in pocket the wheel is pushed a lot to pause the music.
Is it any chance to disable the volume wheel while the screen is off?

Mar 23, 2017 at 9:51 AM Post #2,481 of 3,480
I like this DAP a lot. The Bluetooth connection is the strongest I ever seen, no dropouts ever.
The only problem for me is that then the screen is off and the DAP is in pocket the wheel is pushed a lot to pause the music.
Is it any chance to disable the volume wheel while the screen is off?

I use this feature often and like being able to pause on lock screen. I'm wondering if your button is too loose. I can't accidentally push the button it takes a good amount of force to press it and only at right angle.

Mar 23, 2017 at 10:21 AM Post #2,482 of 3,480
If I'm holding this and breathe the wrong way, I end up pressing a button and doing something I don't want. I guess that's a drawback of the ultra-compact design.

Mar 23, 2017 at 10:44 AM Post #2,483 of 3,480
My wheel is tide and it takes a forceful press to pause, but let's say you are in the gym doing squats and the dap is in your pocket. You and up pressing the button anyway.
All I am saying is that would be nice to be able to lock the wheel by the future FW update.

Mar 25, 2017 at 5:46 AM Post #2,484 of 3,480
This DAP doesn't have the sleep mode? Am I correct? Sadly, the battery is depleting quickly if not shut down.

Mar 25, 2017 at 11:06 AM Post #2,487 of 3,480
  This DAP doesn't have the sleep mode? Am I correct? Sadly, the battery is depleting quickly if not shut down.

It does, if music is paused it will shut down after the time you set. Mine isn't on me at the moment so I couldn't tell you what the options were; IIRC, there are only a few options and the longest was 10 minutes?

Mar 26, 2017 at 9:07 AM Post #2,489 of 3,480
Kind of a weird journey to the M1...

I bought a Mojo last year in the hopes of using it with my Note 2. Sadly, the apps I use like Spotify didn't work. I recently got a new LG phone that doesn't have OTG so I couldn't use Mojo with that either.

So now enters the M1 this week to use as a portable player, connected to Mojo, and Bluetooth with my LG.

Like others have mentioned, scrolling through the artist list is so slow. I seem to be accidently pressing buttons alot on this player. My annoyance quickly moved me onto bluetooth with the phone. I'm astonished how well M1's bluetooth works with my LG and Mojo. I was worried about sq, stuttering, and music cutting out. So far all apps I've used and worked like a charm and sound excellent. My Dt 990 sounded wonderful on Spotify. Been using the IT03 on Gone Mad Music player for 3 hours straight with no interruptions. M1 is a versatile player. For my uses bluetooth with Mojo/LG gives me the UI and Sq that I want.

Mar 27, 2017 at 12:34 AM Post #2,490 of 3,480
Hey what cable you guys use to connect the M1 to the Mojo? The connection on the M1 is not the standard USB C connection right? I can only use the charging cable that came in the box to connect to the M1. All other standard USB C cannot connect to the M1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back