Shanling M1: An iPod Nano Competitor / DAP || USB DAC || USB Transport || Bluetooth 4.0 + aptX || DSD
Feb 8, 2017 at 2:13 PM Post #2,266 of 3,480
ok thanks

not a deal breaker at all, assume embeded art displays when playing?

when browsing by folder would it just be a text list of albums?

Feb 8, 2017 at 2:22 PM Post #2,267 of 3,480
ok thanks

No problem man; I'm positive you won't be disappointed if you decide to take the plunge 
biggrin.gif

Yep, they certainly do. Actually, I haven't verified for sure, but I think it can pull album art from the cover.jpg or folder.jpg as well (will test when I get a chance and respond, if nobody else does).

Yes, browsing by folder gives you a text list of the folder structure you've set up. First you browse into your SD card, then whatever you have there folderwise will appear. So for example, for me, it goes SD Card > Music > Deftones > (2016) Gore > Prayers/Triangles. 

Be warned though; currently the only way to scroll through entries is the scroll wheel, which can take a while if you have a lot of folders. Some people stick their stuff alphabetically into folders like A-C, D-E, etc. to reduce the scrolling.

Shanling says they're going to implement using the side buttons to scroll probably a page at a time in the next firmware though, so we're all on the lookout for that.

Feb 8, 2017 at 3:57 PM Post #2,268 of 3,480
@Shanling Is it possible to make USB transfer mode where there is no power being sucked out from the M1 from a DAC? I can hook up the M1 to my DAC amp and it works great as a transport, but the power drains out of the M1 in 30minutes or so. Is that possible?

Feb 8, 2017 at 5:09 PM Post #2,269 of 3,480
@Shanling Is it possible to make USB transfer mode where there is no power being sucked out from the M1 from a DAC? I can hook up the M1 to my DAC amp and it works great as a transport, but the power drains out of the M1 in 30minutes or so. Is that possible?

Not without an internal battery in your dac/amp or external power to it.

Feb 8, 2017 at 6:17 PM Post #2,270 of 3,480
My DAC/amp has external power (cord and plug) a PS Audio Sprout. My headphone DAC/ amp also has internal power (Pioneer XPA 700) but they both drain the battery of the M1 when connected. I was wondering if @Shanling could make a "transfer" mode where the power of the M1 was shielded from being utilized in this manner.
Not without an internal battery in your dac/amp or external power to it.

Feb 8, 2017 at 6:48 PM Post #2,271 of 3,480
Pulled the trigger :)

Should have it friday, reading all posts about mojo pairing which sounds great (funds wont allow). I have access to a keenly priced fiio e17k, would that "enhance" the performance of the m1??

Am i correct in thinking id need this as well....

http://penonaudio.com/OTG-Pure-Silver-Cable

Feb 8, 2017 at 8:36 PM Post #2,272 of 3,480
In the market for my first DAP (well, in years. I had the iRiver h100 and the Sony nw-e507 when I was a wee lad) and this M1 is a kitchen sink feature-wise at a great price. Is there any other player that has bluetooth and USB DAC functionality near this price range? Also, does anyone know if this will drive my TR-40Ps well?

Feb 8, 2017 at 9:23 PM Post #2,273 of 3,480
The new Cayin (N3 I think?  I lose track of this stuff) looks extremely interesting.  I listened to the i5 on tour and was very pleased.  I am selling my venerable and loved FIIO X3 II to defer some of the cost of this Cayin which I am almost sure to purchase.

By the way I I have the M1 and like it.  It is my travel and gym bag unit.

I really really like the Shanling M2.

Feb 8, 2017 at 9:30 PM Post #2,274 of 3,480
The new Cayin (M3 I think?  I lose track of this stuff) looks extremely interesting.  I listened to the i5 on tour and was very pleased.  I am selling my venerable and loved FIIO X3 II to defer some of the cost of this Cayin which I am almost sure to purchase.

By the way I I have the M1 and like it.n  It is my travel and gym bag unit.

I really really like the M2.

I thought you where going to purchase the mojo to go with your M1?

Feb 8, 2017 at 9:34 PM Post #2,275 of 3,480
I thought you where going to purchase the mojo to go with your M1?

Now I am thinking maybe I should wait for a Mojo II. Chord just rolled out a bunch of new Hugos, so I figure the Mojo is next.

Meanwhile that Cayin looks pretty juicy on paper.   Not as sexy a design as the I5 (or the Shanlings for that matter); but the specs are great.

If the Cayin N3 is what I think it will be; maybe the Shanling M2 gets sold and those funds go to a Mojo of some sort.

I really like the idea of integrated units.  That Cayin N3 has nearly every feature that I care about.  The Shanlilng M1 has most  of the features I want, except native DSD.  Of, it pops and clicks a bit more than I would like when using its built in amplication.  The Shanling M2 is relatively feature poor but sounds great and looks good.

Feb 8, 2017 at 11:02 PM Post #2,276 of 3,480
My DAC/amp has external power (cord and plug) a PS Audio Sprout. My headphone DAC/ amp also has internal power (Pioneer XPA 700) but they both drain the battery of the M1 when connected. I was wondering if @Shanling could make a "transfer" mode where the power of the M1 was shielded from being utilized in this manner.

I wonder if a custom USB cable, leaving the +5V power pin disconnected, might work to do what you want, without having to make any changes to the M1?

Feb 9, 2017 at 8:31 AM Post #2,277 of 3,480
ok thanks

Correct,

Embeded album art is displayed when playing, also on the main menu when music is playing;

Feb 9, 2017 at 11:34 AM Post #2,278 of 3,480
Hello guys,

Just sold my iPod Classic 7th gen, while it still holds it's value. Now searching for a new DAP. I'm considering the Shanling M1 or the Fiio X1 II. I've done a fair bit of reading of this thread and was wondering if there were a few things you could help me out with.

I don't really have the money to spend on a Mojo or other DAC, but I do have an amplifier that I would like to pair with my new DAP. The amp I have only has 3.5mm inputs and outputs. Here are a few questions:

1. With the amp I plan to use, would the Fiio X1 II be better, as it has a line out which can be plugged into my amp to prevent double-amping?

2. I was also thinking I could use a USB C to 3.5mm from the Shanling M1, which would allow me to plug in my amp. Would this work and would it be better than using the headphone out of the Shanling M1?

I hope that makes sense, any help would be much appreciated!

Feb 9, 2017 at 1:18 PM Post #2,279 of 3,480
  Hello guys,

Just sold my iPod Classic 7th gen, while it still holds it's value. Now searching for a new DAP. I'm considering the Shanling M1 or the Fiio X1 II. I've done a fair bit of reading of this thread and was wondering if there were a few things you could help me out with.

I don't really have the money to spend on a Mojo or other DAC, but I do have an amplifier that I would like to pair with my new DAP. The amp I have only has 3.5mm inputs and outputs. Here are a few questions:

1. With the amp I plan to use, would the Fiio X1 II be better, as it has a line out which can be plugged into my amp to prevent double-amping?

2. I was also thinking I could use a USB C to 3.5mm from the Shanling M1, which would allow me to plug in my amp. Would this work and would it be better than using the headphone out of the Shanling M1?

I hope that makes sense, any help would be much appreciated!

For #2 - I'm pretty sure the USB-C connection is Digital only, there's no analog audio output, except the 3.5mm headphone jack.

Feb 9, 2017 at 1:49 PM Post #2,280 of 3,480

For #2 - I'm pretty sure the USB-C connection is Digital only, there's no analog audio output, except the 3.5mm headphone jack.

OK thanks for the input. The discussion on this thread has been very heavily focused on this DAP paired with a DAC such as the Mojo, and not really about the DAPs sound capabilities by itself, or  through an amp using the 3.5mm headphone output. As such, I'm a bit skeptical about it.

Also, I think the Fiio X1 with it's line output may be able to serve me better for pairing with my amp. Although, I do really love the size, form factor, portability and overall usability the Shanling M1 seems to offer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back