Shanling M1: An iPod Nano Competitor / DAP || USB DAC || USB Transport || Bluetooth 4.0 + aptX || DSD
Feb 10, 2017 at 7:30 AM Post #2,296 of 3,480
Wow guys, discovered the VERY NEAT M1 at CanJam NYC, gotta sub here. Anyone catch the price? I forget what the distributor was saying it would/does cost, and if it's available yet, haha.

Edit: oh, there's an ad for it below the posts, $149

There are still some places on Aliexpress that have a lower price, and at least the one I'm linking also includes the case:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2016-New-Original-Shanling-M1-Portable-Bluetooth-DAP-DSD-Lossless-HIFI-Adudio-MP3-Music-Player-Mini/32751652118.html

I have no experience with that particular seller, so I'm unsure if someone else here can verify if they're reliable or not.  They also seem to have a $6 coupon on $100 order, which should knock the price down to $128 shipped.  This of course includes the standard Aliexpress wait time if you're familiar, so a few weeks, and hopefully not more.

Feb 10, 2017 at 7:47 PM Post #2,298 of 3,480
  What is the best between Shanling M1 & Cowon Plenue D ?

Shanling M1 sounds good ?

That really depends on what your priorities are as they are very different in many ways.

1.  The Plenue D will cost about $100.00 more.
2.  The Plenue D gets 50 to 100 hours battery life vs roughly 10 hours for the M1
3.  The Plenud D offers endless eq options, M1 more basic
4.  The M1 offers AptX bluetooth, not Plenue D
5.  The M1 offers digital out via USB, Plenue D no LO
6.  The Plenue D offers more power than the M1.

As for sound quality I don't have access to either one to audition but based on custom eq options on the Plenue D I would imagine you could tweak it to sound considerably better than the M1.  But don't hold me to that. 
biggrin.gif

Feb 10, 2017 at 10:55 PM Post #2,299 of 3,480
Thanks for the response. I've went ahead and ordered an M1 from AliExpress. Think it will be perfect for my needs and will mostly be used on the go by itself or as a DAC for my PC.

I don't think I have very powerful headphones / iems so everything should be easy enough to drive. I plan to use:

- Soundmagic E10
- Vsonic GR07
- Soundmagic HP 150 (at home)

I may try and find a cheap DAC for it in the future, but it definitley won't be a Mojo! Any ideas for a cheap DAC with good sound quality, below £100?

Pick up an HRT microStreamer and iPurifier 2 used.
To me, it is v close to said amp/dac above. The iP2 brings it very very close. Both of them won best DAC on What HifI. Not that that says much, but they are similar 'kin"....a balance of musicality and technicality. Owned both.

Feb 10, 2017 at 10:57 PM Post #2,300 of 3,480
So best price is circa $133-$135 for the unit with case and screen protector....any sellers giving a better deal that that if you PM them on Ali-X ?

Feb 11, 2017 at 1:39 AM Post #2,302 of 3,480
I'm sorry I've not heard the X1. Only reason to add an amp to the M1 would be if you're planning to use pretty hard to drive headphones with it. What headphones are you planning to use it with?

Thanks for the response. I've went ahead and ordered an M1 from AliExpress. Think it will be perfect for my needs and will mostly be used on the go by itself or as a DAC for my PC.

I don't think I have very powerful headphones / iems so everything should be easy enough to drive. I plan to use:

- Soundmagic E10
- Vsonic GR07
- Soundmagic HP 150 (at home)

I may try and find a cheap DAC for it in the future, but it definitley won't be a Mojo! Any ideas for a cheap DAC with good sound quality, below £100?

Anything under £100 will be side grade to M1. I think M1 lacks much for IEM it's clear.

Feb 11, 2017 at 3:17 AM Post #2,303 of 3,480
Hey Guys, do you think this adapter will work as USB DAC with other amp? This adapter and 3.5mm interconnect cable combination? M1 really caught my attention but I don't want to get double amping as I am using Vozamp Duo. I am using the same setup and works perfectly in my Ipod classic 7th gen and Vorzamp Duo as Fiio L-9 is already discontinued. Thanks.

Feb 11, 2017 at 7:59 AM Post #2,304 of 3,480
Hey Guys, do you think this adapter will work as USB DAC with other amp? This adapter and 3.5mm interconnect cable combination? M1 really caught my attention but I don't want to get double amping as I am using Vozamp Duo. I am using the same setup and works perfectly in my Ipod classic 7th gen and Vorzamp Duo as Fiio L-9 is already discontinued. Thanks.

Wow I'm really interested to see the outcome.
I have never heard a usb c-to-3.5mm converter before

Feb 11, 2017 at 8:26 AM Post #2,306 of 3,480
Wow I'm really interested to see the outcome.
I have never heard a usb c-to-3.5mm converter before

Those who has the M1 should give it a try and we'll appreciate your feedbacks. It will help me decide whether to buy the M1's or not. I found those converters in aliexpress anyway.

I was also considering an option similar to this a few pages back. I would be really interested to see if it worked. My M1 is on the way, so I could give it a try. @hydroid do you have a link for that USB-C to 3.5mm converter?

EDIT: There are also USB C to 3.5mm cables, such as this one. Not sure either of these would work.

Feb 11, 2017 at 9:17 AM Post #2,307 of 3,480
I was also considering an option similar to this a few pages back. I would be really interested to see if it worked. My M1 is on the way, so I could give it a try. @hydroid
 do you have a link for that USB-C to 3.5mm converter?

EDIT: There are also USB C to 3.5mm cables, such as this one. Not sure either of these would work.

Here's what I've found from aliexpress.
https://m.aliexpress.com/s/item/32788545331.html#autostay

The type that you found might work as well however, the type that I have shared will give an option to use tye L-shaped IC. We'll be waiting for your feedback just in case you'll give it a try. Thanks.

Feb 11, 2017 at 9:26 AM Post #2,308 of 3,480
What exactly are you expecting to gain by using such a device?

I'd be extremely surprised if it does a better job than the internal DAC in the M1 but looking forward to impressions.

Feb 11, 2017 at 9:37 AM Post #2,309 of 3,480
What exactly are you expecting to gain by using such a device?

I'd be extremely surprised if it does a better job than the internal DAC in the M1 but looking forward to impressions.

Reading this has made me realise that this does seem like a stupid idea. Don't really know what the point was for me personally. I'm just going to wait for the M1 to arrive and see how it sounds by itself. I don't believe a £6 converter will do anything to improve SQ, it will most likely hinder it if anything.

As for @hydroid's POV, I believe he wanted to try it to avoid double-amping.

Feb 11, 2017 at 9:56 AM Post #2,310 of 3,480
Reading this has made me realise that this does seem like a stupid idea. Don't really know what the point was for me personally. I'm just going to wait for the M1 to arrive and see how it sounds by itself. I don't believe a £6 converter will do anything to improve SQ, it will most likely hinder it if anything.

As for @hydroid
's POV, I believe he wanted to try it to avoid double-amping.

That's exactly right as I want to maximize the improvement on sound quality using my vorzamp duo. I have tried both the double amping (IC) and the line out and I beleive there's a big difference and improvement using the line out as shanling output power is not that powerful to drive a some IEM's. I'm still new to this stuff so I might be wrong. I just read from a few pages back that other people are using IC cable and came up with the question whether this idea will work or not. Basically just asking an idea before purchasing the M1. Thanks for your inputs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back