Shanling M1: An iPod Nano Competitor / DAP || USB DAC || USB Transport || Bluetooth 4.0 + aptX || DSD
Feb 9, 2017 at 3:52 PM Post #2,282 of 3,480
Generally I'd say that the M1 sounds quite good on its own and I don't really see any point in pairing it with sub $100 amp/dac combos, all you achieve is to carry around more weight :wink:

Just my 2c.....

Feb 9, 2017 at 4:05 PM Post #2,284 of 3,480
ok cheers, not mucb point in the e17k then or it wont add much to the rig

oppo ha2 or mojo then???

I haven't heard the e17k so take it with a grain of sand but I've heard a lot of amp/dac combos and the first I can think of that a significant improvement to the stock M1 would probably be the $250 Opus #11 and iBasso D14.

Edit: the D14 is a bit on the big side to be truly portable though.....

Feb 9, 2017 at 4:13 PM Post #2,285 of 3,480

Hello guys,

Just sold my iPod Classic 7th gen, while it still holds it's value. Now searching for a new DAP. I'm considering the Shanling M1 or the Fiio X1 II. I've done a fair bit of reading of this thread and was wondering if there were a few things you could help me out with.

I don't really have the money to spend on a Mojo or other DAC, but I do have an amplifier that I would like to pair with my new DAP. The amp I have only has 3.5mm inputs and outputs. Here are a few questions:

1. With the amp I plan to use, would the Fiio X1 II be better, as it has a line out which can be plugged into my amp to prevent double-amping?

2. I was also thinking I could use a USB C to 3.5mm from the Shanling M1, which would allow me to plug in my amp. Would this work and would it be better than using the headphone out of the Shanling M1?

I hope that makes sense, any help would be much appreciated!

Generally I'd say that the M1 sounds quite good on its own and I don't really see any point in pairing it with sub $100 amp/dac combos, all you achieve is to carry around more weight 
wink.gif

Just my 2c.....

I've quoted my post from the previous page. I've been considering this DAP along with the Fiio X1 II and want to know how it's standalone performance is. I may pair this with an amp that I have, but I imagine I will also be using it by itself on the go. In this case, would you say there will be a noticeable difference in between the M1 and X1? Also will the X1 with a line output provide better quality sound than the headphone out of the M1?

Feb 9, 2017 at 8:49 PM Post #2,286 of 3,480
Well I like the shanling house sound. I have experience with the original X1. The only dap I owned that I really disliked
Then again I was quite fond of my x3 units

Like my m1. Oflficially lower power but sounds good to me

Check out the cayin n3 that is due out soon. Very impressive on paper and I can state that the i5 was a very nice unit

Feb 10, 2017 at 12:36 AM Post #2,287 of 3,480
I've quoted my post from the previous page. I've been considering this DAP along with the Fiio X1 II and want to know how it's standalone performance is. I may pair this with an amp that I have, but I imagine I will also be using it by itself on the go. In this case, would you say there will be a noticeable difference in between the M1 and X1? Also will the X1 with a line output provide better quality sound than the headphone out of the M1?

I'm sorry I've not heard the X1. Only reason to add an amp to the M1 would be if you're planning to use pretty hard to drive headphones with it. What headphones are you planning to use it with?

Feb 10, 2017 at 1:00 AM Post #2,288 of 3,480
Wow guys, discovered the VERY NEAT M1 at CanJam NYC, gotta sub here. Anyone catch the price? I forget what the distributor was saying it would/does cost, and if it's available yet, haha.

Edit: oh, there's an ad for it below the posts, $149

Feb 10, 2017 at 1:00 AM Post #2,289 of 3,480
I'm sorry I've not heard the X1. Only reason to add an amp to the M1 would be if you're planning to use pretty hard to drive headphones with it. What headphones are you planning to use it with?

Or to change sound signature or for more refined sound. For instance, I find M1 sounds pretty good as a super-portable standalone DAP, but add Mojo and it makes for a very nice transportable stack!

Feb 10, 2017 at 1:11 AM Post #2,290 of 3,480
I'll see how i find the m1 first, but knowing me i will end up getting an amp/dac combo

If i went for say a opus, oppo or mojo am i correct in thinking it is this cable:

http://penonaudio.com/OTG-Pure-Silver-Cable

Feb 10, 2017 at 1:13 AM Post #2,291 of 3,480
I'll see how i find the m1 first, but knowing me i will end up getting an amp/dac combo

If i went for say a opus, oppo or mojo am i correct in thinking it is this cable:

http://penonaudio.com/OTG-Pure-Silver-Cable

Yup, you could use that. I've just purchased inexpensive cables from yourcharger on eBay.

Feb 10, 2017 at 1:53 AM Post #2,292 of 3,480
Or to change sound signature or for more refined sound. For instance, I find M1 sounds pretty good as a super-portable standalone DAP, but add Mojo and it makes for a very nice transportable stack!

I was speaking of amplifier only as he/she asked about using the 3.5mm output and I really can't see much other benefits than more power from doing that. Amp/dac's are a different story....

Feb 10, 2017 at 2:01 AM Post #2,293 of 3,480
@nmatheis is the sound signature between M1 to M2 quite a jump ?
Ignoring price, which one do you prefer for SQ ?

Feb 10, 2017 at 2:11 AM Post #2,294 of 3,480
@nmatheis
is the sound signature between M1 to M2 quite a jump ?
Ignoring price, which one do you prefer for SQ ?

It is a nice jump, but unfortunately M2 does have higher output impedance than the other Shanling DAPs. I forget exactly what it measures, but it's enough to alter FR for some hybrid and multi-BA IEM. For that reason, I'd suggest sticking with M1 or M5 if you're interested in using those files of IEM with your DAP. That said, I do know some who prefer the sound of their IEM with the M2 vs DAPs with lower output impedance so as usual YMMV!

Feb 10, 2017 at 3:51 AM Post #2,295 of 3,480

Thanks for the response. I've went ahead and ordered an M1 from AliExpress. Think it will be perfect for my needs and will mostly be used on the go by itself or as a DAC for my PC.

I don't think I have very powerful headphones / iems so everything should be easy enough to drive. I plan to use:

- Soundmagic E10
- Vsonic GR07
- Soundmagic HP 150 (at home)

I may try and find a cheap DAC for it in the future, but it definitley won't be a Mojo! Any ideas for a cheap DAC with good sound quality, below £100?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back