Shanling M1: An iPod Nano Competitor / DAP || USB DAC || USB Transport || Bluetooth 4.0 + aptX || DSD
Nov 27, 2016 at 3:23 AM Post #1,561 of 3,480

Hahahaha good one 
wink_face.gif

Whoever who stumbles on measurements please let me know! I'm asking because I saw these: http://www.trdsn.com/eng/product_codonguri.html which have a really nice build and wide frequency response for USD60. I was thinking I may need to find something that outputs beyond 20khz to fully enjoy those. I know human hearing is by right capped around 20khz but I think for my classical music tracks just a bit more harmonic reproduction may make the music sound better...

Mmmm, Music Sound Tea...  
bigsmile_face.gif

"■Tornado equalizer
Adopt a patent tornado equalizer method of music sound tea in acoustic technology. Canal type of ringleader of sound quality degradation, reduces the resonance in the vicinity of 6kHz caused by blocking the ear canal.
*1 Tornado Equalizer Circuit is Ocharaku’s patented acoustic technolog
y(JP PAT.No.4681698, US PAT.No.8885865, EP PAT.No.2461602)"

Nov 27, 2016 at 4:02 AM Post #1,562 of 3,480
Hi,

I have the M1 coming to me for Christmas thanks to this thread. I've read every single page. I'm excited and a little scared because I wish I knew more to make good choices. I don't want to use my phone or laptop anymore. I wanted a dedicated player. I didn't have a lot of money to spend (my budget was $200). I hope I made a pretty good choice.

As you can see I'm brand new to the forums as a member, but I have been a "lurker" for about a year or so. It helped me very much when deciding on IEM and headphones. I knew virtually nothing other than I love music and it was obvious that certain earbuds or headphones sounded better than others. I'm not an audiophile, but I can appreciate the concept, and I've tried to make informed choices to get a good sound with my pretty limited budget. Although, as I learn more and make sure I'm making the right choices, I'd love to upgrade my stuff in time. I did my best to read and learn on this forum. Some things I still don't totally understand, but I've made a lot of progress. I'm sorry if when I ask questions I sound stupid, but I would really appreciate any help.

I only generally understand impedance. I've tried, but it's been the most confusing thing I've tried to learn. I think I know that the higher the number, the more power is required to "drive" them = give them good volume, correct? What I don't really get is how to look at your source device and know if it provides enough power in relation to your headphones.

My big questions are:

1) I have B&O H6 headphones. I enjoy them very much. I believe they are 30ohm impedance. That's pretty low compared to some good high-end headphones, but I don't know how understand if the M1 is going to be good enough to drive them properly. The M1 has output power of 35mW@32ohm. Is it as simple as the M1 puts out 32ohm and my headphones have 30ohm impedance, so then it will drive them because the output is more than the impedance? Can someone please tell me if the M1 will or won't drive my H6 well enough?

2) I see many posters are actually using it with Mojo for the UI or as transport. I get that for that type of user it doesn't matter what it sounds like as a stand alone, but it does to me. There has been very little said about how it sounds with headphones as an actual stand alone player. Can someone who's used it as a DAP please tell me if they think it's decent, or am I going to end up crying because it sucks? Please keep in mind, my only reference has been my phone or laptop and like a middle gen Apple nano that I haven't listened to in ages. Will it sound better or worse than those do you think?

3) If it does suck, would getting a dragonfly USB DAC/Amp help it? From what I understand the black one is good for the cost.

4) I've tried to keep up with the firmware updates. I know a new one just came out like yesterday. Until then, I don't believe you were able to rename the "internal" playlists to whatever you wanted. Are you able to do that now? If not, is that something one would expect to come with a later fw release?
          -- I have read up on how to make external playlists and have foobar2000 ready to go to help with that, but I'd still maybe like internal ones...I just want to name them what I want.

5) Are you able to put photos on the card and view them on the M1? If not, is that a hardware limitation or something they might add in a future fw update? I'm moving far from home and it would be nice to have easy access to a few photos rather than having to dig out my phone.

Thank you in advance for anyone who takes the time to answer some of my questions. I appreciate it. Sorry so long.

Nov 27, 2016 at 5:16 AM Post #1,563 of 3,480
  Hi,

I have the M1 coming to me for Christmas thanks to this thread. I've read every single page. I'm excited and a little scared because I wish I knew more to make good choices. I don't want to use my phone or laptop anymore. I wanted a dedicated player. I didn't have a lot of money to spend (my budget was $200). I hope I made a pretty good choice.

As you can see I'm brand new to the forums as a member, but I have been a "lurker" for about a year or so. It helped me very much when deciding on IEM and headphones. I knew virtually nothing other than I love music and it was obvious that certain earbuds or headphones sounded better than others. I'm not an audiophile, but I can appreciate the concept, and I've tried to make informed choices to get a good sound with my pretty limited budget. Although, as I learn more and make sure I'm making the right choices, I'd love to upgrade my stuff in time. I did my best to read and learn on this forum. Some things I still don't totally understand, but I've made a lot of progress. I'm sorry if when I ask questions I sound stupid, but I would really appreciate any help.

I only generally understand impedance. I've tried, but it's been the most confusing thing I've tried to learn. I think I know that the higher the number, the more power is required to "drive" them = give them good volume, correct? What I don't really get is how to look at your source device and know if it provides enough power in relation to your headphones.

My big questions are:

1) I have B&O H6 headphones. I enjoy them very much. I believe they are 30ohm impedance. That's pretty low compared to some good high-end headphones, but I don't know how understand if the M1 is going to be good enough to drive them properly. The M1 has output power of 35mW@32ohm. Is it as simple as the M1 puts out 32ohm and my headphones have 30ohm impedance, so then it will drive them because the output is more than the impedance? Can someone please tell me if the M1 will or won't drive my H6 well enough?

2) I see many posters are actually using it with Mojo for the UI or as transport. I get that for that type of user it doesn't matter what it sounds like as a stand alone, but it does to me. There has been very little said about how it sounds with headphones as an actual stand alone player. Can someone who's used it as a DAP please tell me if they think it's decent, or am I going to end up crying because it sucks? Please keep in mind, my only reference has been my phone or laptop and like a middle gen Apple nano that I haven't listened to in ages. Will it sound better or worse than those do you think?

3) If it does suck, would getting a dragonfly USB DAC/Amp help it? From what I understand the black one is good for the cost.

4) I've tried to keep up with the firmware updates. I know a new one just came out like yesterday. Until then, I don't believe you were able to rename the "internal" playlists to whatever you wanted. Are you able to do that now? If not, is that something one would expect to come with a later fw release?
          -- I have read up on how to make external playlists and have foobar2000 ready to go to help with that, but I'd still maybe like internal ones...I just want to name them what I want.

5) Are you able to put photos on the card and view them on the M1? If not, is that a hardware limitation or something they might add in a future fw update? I'm moving far from home and it would be nice to have easy access to a few photos rather than having to dig out my phone.

Thank you in advance for anyone who takes the time to answer some of my questions. I appreciate it. Sorry so long.

The M1 will drive your B&O H6 headphones. I used my Sennheiser HD25-1 II's at 70ohm without issues. I'm using the M1 with headphone/ iems and the sound is very good, even better after setting up the custom EQ. I installed firmware 1.11 and I can't rename playlists via the M1, only via importing. I can't see any photo viewer.

Nov 27, 2016 at 5:25 AM Post #1,564 of 3,480
You summed it up well, for me no rush as I'm out of cash now, but something would all-round bring up the level of audio like how the Mojo does would be great! :wink: My first instinct is Fiio but I noticed most of their entry level DAC/amps don't support the 192khz that M1 can.

Wow The Bit really is serious about their stuff! Looks nice.

Yes, the bit are on a roll. For a portable high quality sound combination I haven't heard a better combination for the money than the M1+#11 and I believe one would have to spend quite a bit more for a significant upgrade.

Hi,

1. Yes the M1 should have more than enough power for the H6.

2. Imo it sounds very good as a stand alone player, especially for the price.

3. I would not recommend using it with a DAC without an internal battery due to battery drain.

4. Just downloaded the 1.11 fw so haven't checked and honestly I really don't care either so hopefully some else can answer this for you.

5. No, AFAIK there's no option for browsing photos and given the small size combined with the relatively poor screen quality neither would it be beneficial to have this option included (again imo). Any phone out there would be a better option for viewing photos.

Nov 27, 2016 at 5:37 AM Post #1,565 of 3,480
  The M1 will drive your B&O H6 headphones. I used my Sennheiser HD25-1 II's at 70ohm without issues. I'm using the M1 with headphone/ iems and the sound is very good, even better after setting up the custom EQ. I installed firmware 1.11 and I can't rename playlists via the M1, only via importing. I can't see any photo viewer.

1. Yes the M1 should have more than enough power for the H6.

2. Imo it sounds very good as a stand alone player, especially for the price.

3. I would not recommend using it with a DAC without an internal battery due to battery drain.

4. Just downloaded the 1.11 fw so haven't checked and honestly I really don't care either so hopefully some else can answer this for you.

5. No, AFAIK there's no option for browsing photos and given the small size combined with the relatively poor screen quality neither would it be beneficial to have this option included (again imo). Any phone out there would be a better option for viewing photos.

Quote:
  For (1) - The pertinent Tech Specs for the BeoPlay H6 are:
Impedance: 30 Ohm
Sensitivity: 97 dB/mW @ 1kHz

The Headphone output is 97dB with 1mW input, and (as long as you don't input more than its design rating) will increase 3dB for each Doubling of the power.  i.e.- 2mw = 100dB, 4mW = 103dB, 8mW = 106dB, 16mW = 109dB, and 32mW = 112dB.  Peak power and sound levels will be higher than this.  Also, it takes ~10x the power to raise the output by 10dB, so that it sounds twice as loud.  If you take a look at this chart, ( http://www.hearnet.com/at_risk/risk_trivia.shtml ) you'll see that the M1 & H6 should be able to provide plenty of sound level - enough to damage your hearing with long term exposure.

For (2) - I've got a M1 that I use as a DAP, directly driving my earphones.  While it may not have the same level of detail retrieval as my iFi Micro iDSD or Onkyo DP-X1, with CDs ripped as FLAC files, the M1 sounds really good - better than my Nexus 5 Phone or Nexus 7 Tablet.

For (3) - Anything you connect to a standard OTG cable on the USB port, will likely draw power from the M1, reducing your battery run time.  If you can find an OTG cable that allows external power to go to the outboard DAC, then you could use one that has more output power.

For (4) - I'm just now ripping my CD collection, so haven't done anything with Playlists.  Hopefully someone else can answer that question for you.

For (5) - I just placed a JPG file on the SD card, and the OS didn't detect it.

Take Care,
David Baldock

Thank you all for your replies. DBaldock9, your answer to #1 was very helpful. I understand it so much better.

I was most concerned about my headphones and how the M1 sounded as a stand alone. You made me feel good about those. I won't really worry too much about the rest, as they were just little things that don't matter too much.

Nov 27, 2016 at 5:48 AM Post #1,566 of 3,480
  Hi,

My big questions are:

For (1) - The pertinent Tech Specs for the BeoPlay H6 are:
Impedance: 30 Ohm
Sensitivity: 97 dB/mW @ 1kHz

The Headphone output is 97dB with 1mW input, and (as long as you don't input more than its design rating) will increase 3dB for each Doubling of the power.  i.e.- 2mw = 100dB, 4mW = 103dB, 8mW = 106dB, 16mW = 109dB, and 32mW = 112dB.  Peak power and sound levels will be higher than this.  Also, it takes ~10x the power to raise the output by 10dB, so that it sounds twice as loud.  If you take a look at this chart, ( http://www.hearnet.com/at_risk/risk_trivia.shtml ) you'll see that the M1 & H6 should be able to provide plenty of sound level - enough to damage your hearing with long term exposure.

For (2) - I've got a M1 that I use as a DAP, directly driving my earphones.  While it may not have the same level of detail retrieval as my iFi Micro iDSD or Onkyo DP-X1, with CDs ripped as FLAC files, the M1 sounds really good - better than my Nexus 5 Phone or Nexus 7 Tablet.

For (3) - Anything you connect to a standard OTG cable on the USB port, will likely draw power from the M1, reducing your battery run time.  If you can find an OTG cable that allows external power to go to the outboard DAC, then you could use one that has more output power.

For (4) - I'm just now ripping my CD collection, so haven't done anything with Playlists.  Hopefully someone else can answer that question for you.

For (5) - I just placed a JPG file on the SD card, and the OS didn't detect it.

Take Care,
David Baldock

Nov 27, 2016 at 7:24 AM Post #1,567 of 3,480
  Hi,

Don't worry you aren't alone in the quest for budget audio enjoyment! Just a tip, read less as now I've been swayed by all the posts on DACs and IEMs swirling round on Head-Fi! :) The law of diminishing returns is real for audio gear.

Sometimes too much information isn't a good thing. Looking at the spec tables, I still haven't gotten round my Fiio X1 2nd Gen vs Shanling M1 dilemma... Not sure which one will give me a better sound I can enjoy with longer... Any help will be greatly appreciated! :)

Nov 27, 2016 at 8:14 AM Post #1,568 of 3,480

Sometimes too much information isn't a good thing. Looking at the spec tables, I still haven't gotten round my Fiio X1 2nd Gen vs Shanling M1 dilemma... Not sure which one will give me a better sound I can enjoy with longer...

Well quite, particularly about the info thing.  I go from one end of the budget spectrum to the other and somewhere in between. 

Nov 27, 2016 at 2:43 PM Post #1,569 of 3,480
Heatherly: My man RedJohn456 is happy rocking HD600 straight out of the diminutive M1. If M1 can drive HD600, it'll drive BeoPlay H6 without breaking a sweat!

peter123: OK, I'm seriously tempted by thebit #11. I forget if you've heard thebit Opus #1 or Mojo. If so, could you either reply here (or PM me) with your thoughts on whether there's a house sound #11 shares with Opus #1 and whether #11 would be a good complement to Mojo? Thanks!

Nov 27, 2016 at 4:18 PM Post #1,570 of 3,480

Don't worry you aren't alone in the quest for budget audio enjoyment! Just a tip, read less as now I've been swayed by all the posts on DACs and IEMs swirling round on Head-Fi! :) The law of diminishing returns is real for audio gear.

Sometimes too much information isn't a good thing. Looking at the spec tables, I still haven't gotten round my Fiio X1 2nd Gen vs Shanling M1 dilemma... Not sure which one will give me a better sound I can enjoy with longer... Any help will be greatly appreciated! :)

I personally like the Shanling M1 more. It's both available to audition here in the PH, and I liked M1's signature. They're both warm but the M1 has better extensions in the highs and better mids.

Nov 27, 2016 at 9:22 PM Post #1,575 of 3,480
  Has anyone tried the bluetooth on this? I'm considering getting the M1 in combo with the Sony SBH80 for a nice little on the go setup.

Before I messed up the viper4android installation on my Nexus 7 (something went awry during an update), I was able to stream Spotify (and other apps), with viper4android doing the audio signal processing, via Bluetooth to my M1.  Now, I can still stream via Bluetooth, but there's no audio signal processing, except the M1's built-in EQ.

The M1 can also Transmit Bluetooth to my Trinity Audio BT MMCX Lanyard (and my other "non-HiFi" BT earphones).

Take Care,
David Baldock

Users who are viewing this thread

Back