Shanling M1: An iPod Nano Competitor / DAP || USB DAC || USB Transport || Bluetooth 4.0 + aptX || DSD
Nov 23, 2016 at 9:43 AM Post #1,486 of 3,480

On face value, I will say X1-II spec is, at least to me, a little better than M1. But subjectively speaking, I'll say they both sound pretty similar in overall SQ to my ears. That is, they are both in the entry level of audiophile DAP market.

As for stability - besides that library does scan slower on X1-II (though it isn't so slow that I can't live with it), I'll say that both X1-II and M1 are more than stable enough for music playback in general, but they both have bugs that need to be fixed. I won't say one is in any significant way worst than the other.

Thanks everyone for your views, happy to say I am joining the Shanling M1 camp for now. Waiting for my black M1 bundled with stick-on screen protectors and a Samsung Evo+ card eagerly :D

If your budget allows, purchase a portable amp and it will upgrade M1 to a new level. You will not regret.

Nov 23, 2016 at 11:35 AM Post #1,488 of 3,480
anyone compared this to the new xduoo 10? ( similar price range)

Nov 23, 2016 at 7:49 PM Post #1,489 of 3,480

If your budget allows, purchase a portable amp and it will upgrade M1 to a new level. You will not regret.

Nice, do you have a recommendation or some suggestions? (other than the pricey Chord Mojo everyone seems to be posting pictures of it stacked with the M1...) 
L3000.gif

EDIT: I switched (again) back to ordering an X1 II as I get less functionality but more audio hardware for the same money. So @Joseph Lin if you have recommendations for just amps that's cool too! (X1 II sadly has no USB out to a DAC).

Nov 23, 2016 at 11:13 PM Post #1,494 of 3,480

Nice, do you have a recommendation or some suggestions? (other than the pricey Chord Mojo everyone seems to be posting pictures of it stacked with the M1...) 
L3000.gif

EDIT: I switched (again) back to ordering an X1 II as I get less functionality but more audio hardware for the same money. So @Joseph Lin if you have recommendations for just amps that's cool too! (X1 II sadly has no USB out to a DAC).

I use Fiio E12. Budget portable amp and it is good enough to me.

Nov 23, 2016 at 11:18 PM Post #1,495 of 3,480

Through HO to line out right?

Yes, unfortunately M1 does not have Line Out or does it? Some does not like the idea of double amping (thus Mojo) but I do not really concern too much if you are looking for portability and budget. It sounds so sweet...
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 23, 2016 at 11:45 PM Post #1,496 of 3,480
Looking forward to trying the new FW. Fingers crossed over here.

Nov 24, 2016 at 1:40 AM Post #1,497 of 3,480

Yes, unfortunately M1 does not have Line Out or does it? Some does not like the idea of double amping (thus Mojo) but I do not really concern too much if you are looking for portability and budget. It sounds so sweet...
smily_headphones1.gif

M1 has direct USB out to Mojo. Meanwhile the Fiio X1 II can do both Line Out fixed/adjustable and Headphone out through the same jack, changed via settings. Does running Line Out on a 3.5mm of the X1 II result in double amping?

Nov 24, 2016 at 3:12 AM Post #1,498 of 3,480
Hey guys, I'm keeping it in the family tonight by pairing M1 with Shanling's H3 DAC/Amp. It can pair with M1 via USB or Bluetooth, so you've got the option to go wireless if you want. I know both Hisoundfi and I really like how the H3 sounds, but it never took off on headfi for some reason. Take a minute and check it out. I know we M1 guys loves us some Mojo action, but it's not the only game in town and the H3 gives a bit more energetic listen if you're in the mood.

Here's a LINK to the H3 thread. It's lonely right now. Liven it up some :wink:

Here's a LINK to my review of the H3, so you can see what I liked about it.

I'll try to get some pics of the pairing up tomorrow...

Nov 24, 2016 at 6:57 AM Post #1,499 of 3,480

smily_headphones1.gif

You cannot double amp the Mojo for two reasons:

• Mojo does not contain an amplifier
  • Mojo only accepts digital inputs (it is a DAC, and not a DAP!)

Nov 24, 2016 at 8:14 AM Post #1,500 of 3,480

You cannot double amp the Mojo for two reasons:

• Mojo does not contain an amplifier
  • Mojo only accepts digital inputs (it is a DAC, and not a DAP!)

Awwww! Ok but I think that won't affect me know as I am out of cash and will be stuck to listening straight from DAP which I think the Fiio X1 will have a slight advantage used direct.

Since stuff like the Mojo isn't cheap I probably can get a Shanling M1 or similar together with the Mojo when I have that kind of money anyway :wink:

Really envious of you guys with your stacks, you must be loving them!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back