Shanling M0 - Smallest Hi-Res Portable Player - New Firmware V3.6
Jun 3, 2019 at 3:05 AM Post #5,266 of 6,413
I haven't been specific enough. Does this help?

unzip M0\ v3.0\ Firmware\ file.zip
cd M0\ v3.0\ Firmware\ file/
file update.bin => this will tell you that this is POSIX tar archive
tar xvf update.bin => this will produce 3 files. Among them a firmware_v0.tar.gz (it has a .gz suffix but is not compressed)
tar xvf firmware_v0.tar.gz => this gives a "recovery-update" directory
cd recovery-update/nand => plenty of zips... as I said
unzip '*.zip' (answer 'A') => plenty of update0xx directories. They contain either pieces of the kernel (xImage*), the uboot recovery (receover*) or an UBI filesystem (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UBIFS). We are interested in the filesystem
cat update0??/system.ubi_0* > FS.ubi

Now we have the filesystem in 'FS.ubi'. And it suffices to mount it on a linux box. You can see how this can be done here:

https://gist.github.com/kostaz/6ce4034192ac3a0f08ec3e279c81d0b8

The image is 34MB so creating a virtual MTD with 256 MB is ok.

Then you'll have the filesystem under /mnt and you can explore it and see that there is a binary called "shanling_play' I think, in usr/bin. You'll see all images, the fonts... If you want to change things you can, then recreate an ubi FS and reverse the process. See http://www.linux-mtd.infradead.org/faq/ubifs.html

At your own risk of course :)

Jun 3, 2019 at 5:16 AM Post #5,269 of 6,413
did anyone ever have this issue? Stuck at shanling screen when bootup after add favorite song + recharge? was using Oppo 5V 2A charger head

though it was fixed by plugged out the card and forced shutdown

I was wondering if I got a problematic unit because this happens for 2 out of 5 times I recharged

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2019 at 5:57 AM Post #5,270 of 6,413
I totally agree with the benefit of constant updates, but it's just not, what I expect from a DAP. I expect it to work out of the box as advertised. If there are issues with it, they have to be solved. That's it. Adding features, polishing the UI, including users wishes - nice to have and a bonus for the company it offers, but I don't care if they don't come.
From what I experienced with the M0, Shangling does a good job, compared with some others. I got a FiiO that now seems abandoned with a firmware that is a mess (but still usable). My Archos DAP 15 years got three firmware updates shortly after it was out, but then nothing more. But that did mostly everything as it should right out of the box.
I think the problems arise, when companies push out devices too early and try to fix things with firmware updates afterwards.

I agree entirely. Shanling have really improved the usability of the M0. I think it is a great little device. I have mine attached to an Ibasso PB3 balanced amp and the sound is great. I find the amp section needs improvment. Even using a streaming service via Ldac or AAC, i find the sound with this combination as good as listening to the same service through my ZX2.

Jun 3, 2019 at 1:32 PM Post #5,271 of 6,413
I've an issue with the 3.0 firmware.
I'm running it with lineout mode (high gain + LO) (without high gain LO does not output the right level).
It works fine when playling local music.
As soon as switched to bluetooth with LDAC mode the sound is barely audible and I cannot change it with volume. (Bluetooth volume on the phone is on maximum)
It seems to be a bug ?

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2019 at 2:21 PM Post #5,272 of 6,413
The new custom EQ would be much better if there was a manual or automatic pre-amp to prevent clipping. It sounds good but is really tiresome to set up something like bass boost + treble cut, having to align all the dots in the mid range at the same level

Jun 3, 2019 at 3:01 PM Post #5,273 of 6,413
I'm running it with lineout mode (high gain + LO) (without high gain LO does not output the right level).
As soon as switched to bluetooth with LDAC mode the sound is barely audible and I cannot change it with volume. (Bluetooth volume on the phone is on maximum)
It seems to be a bug ?

Bluetooth bypasses the analog outputs completely, so high gain/LO are meaningless in the context of bluetooth.

It might be some incompatibility with your specific headphones?

Jun 3, 2019 at 9:32 PM Post #5,275 of 6,413
@Shanling thanks for the reply.

There's another little niggle to report.

When Listening to 24/192, the first fraction of a second of the music garbles when automatically progressing to the next song. Doesn't do it when I skip tracks. Is it just my unit? It's done it since way before this update so nothing to do with 3.0. FYI, I have gapless playback switched on. It hasn't been a huge issue cos I don't own that much 24/192 content and it burns through battery.

It's so nice to be able to have such free and easy communication with the manufacturer about such minor issues. I for one really appreciate it.

Trying to replicate on my unit, but wasn't able to or wasn't able to hear it.

Is it doing on all 24/192 music? Also same for different card?

did anyone ever have this issue? Stuck at shanling screen when bootup after add favorite song + recharge? was using Oppo 5V 2A charger head

though it was fixed by plugged out the card and forced shutdown

I was wondering if I got a problematic unit because this happens for 2 out of 5 times I recharged

Can you please tell me little bit more details, what is exact sequence that causes this problem for you?

It seems to be a bug ?

I see, it's bug caused by latest change, the addition of separate volume memory for BT receiver mode. While M0 sees LO setting and disables volume control, volume in BT receiver mode is stuck at latest volume you had set there.

Will report it.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Jun 4, 2019 at 12:00 AM Post #5,276 of 6,413
T

Can you please tell me little bit more details, what is exact sequence that causes this problem for you?

I already can't recall previous sequence when It happens but it never happens when I use laptop USB port to charge, and most of the time happens after updating device

last one I had USB set to storage device, updated device, add some songs to favorite, had hit one bar battery, so I recharged it,and voila
btw, I never turned off the device whilst charging (if this helps)

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2019 at 5:05 PM Post #5,277 of 6,413
Gotta say, I really like the newest firmware update. Never found the M0 sluggish, but the changes have made it even faster. Overall just a neater, cleaner look and a bit more functional. Also like the new EQ and custom EQ profiles. That's something that often stops me from using EQ because I hate having to edit it when I switch earphones. Overall a great update. Awesome stuff @Shanling !

IMG_4453.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back