Shanling M0 - Smallest Hi-Res Portable Player - New Firmware V3.6
Jan 5, 2019 at 2:21 PM Post #4,231 of 6,418
hello all,

may i seek feedback from users who have used/ ever used or own/owned the Mojo as well as M0?

is M0 able to produce better sonic performance than mojo?

excluding price ^

thanks all[/QUOTE
I would say no but for 100 bucks the MO is till worth buying , even if you just use it for the gym or travel.

The question about the M0 vs Mojo is like asking if my Toyota Corolla can beat a Porsche. No, but given the 5x price difference what would you expect?

I use my M0 as a transport with my Chord Hugo and iFi Micro iDsd BL using the Shanling USB c to USB micro and iFi OTG cables and they are great combinations. I believe other people are using the M0 as a transport with Mojos in a similar way. Of course I can just pop my M0 in my pocket and have it drive my IEMs when I don't want to lug something like a Hugo or IFi Micro around with me.

So the answer to the OPs question is probably to own both a Mojo and an M0 if you can afford it as they complement each other.

Jan 5, 2019 at 4:20 PM Post #4,232 of 6,418
I use my M0 as a transport with my Chord Hugo and iFi Micro iDsd BL using the Shanling USB c to USB micro and iFi OTG cables and they are great combinations. I believe other people are using the M0 as a transport with Mojos in a similar way. Of course I can just pop my M0 in my pocket and have it drive my IEMs when I don't want to lug something like a Hugo or IFi Micro around with me.

So the answer to the OPs question is probably to own both a Mojo and an M0 if you can afford it as they complement each other.

Right, thank you.

From your response I infer that M0 is unable to produce the kind of sonic/audio performance that Mojo does but rather that the two are complementary.

Would that be an accurate interpretation?

Jan 5, 2019 at 4:47 PM Post #4,233 of 6,418
Right, thank you.

From your response I infer that M0 is unable to produce the kind of sonic/audio performance that Mojo does but rather that the two are complementary.

Would that be an accurate interpretation?
Yes, I think what makes the M0 great is that it does several different things - self contained SD card based DAP to use with IEMs, USB transport, Bluetooth sender and receiver. And all within a tiny form factor.

The Mojo and Hugo have more drive than the M0, and so they can work with Audezes and other fullsize headphones that I use. But the M0 driving IEMs on the go on a bus does the job very nearly as well as its larger brothers, and the fact it is so tiny makes it compelling in that sort of use case.

Jan 5, 2019 at 8:28 PM Post #4,234 of 6,418
Oh yeah don't get me wrong I understand the size and price restriction of the M0 and for the price it is a very nice little DAP. But if I am looking at a higher end Shanling model down the road I would expect it to have a separate higher quality amp chip. ESS is known for their DAC quality in their chips but a higher quality separate amp section would be a must for me on a more expensive model.

Yes, that would be excellent, many want it, no Shanling plays Streaming? I liked the sound and I look for something with streaming but I can not find it? Which Sangling model is recommended? Even without streaming, M2? M3? Greetings and thanks!!

Jan 6, 2019 at 10:11 AM Post #4,238 of 6,418
I have a 3 albums from one artist that prompts "No File Found" when I click on the albums, but I can still see a list of all songs.Tried recopying the files to M0 and still has this issue. Only MP3 files in the folder. Has anyone experienced this before?

Jan 6, 2019 at 11:20 AM Post #4,239 of 6,418
Just curious if I could connect my Chromebook to my Shanling M0 via bluetooth and use it as a DAC to listen to movies / music from my couch...

I recently verified that the updated Bluetooth drivers (that added LDAC transmit) can be installed, and work, on an old Asus Eee PC 1215B (from 2011), running Linux Mint 19.
For the best audio performance, check to see if there's an equivalent update for your Chromebook Bluetooth drivers.

Jan 6, 2019 at 12:04 PM Post #4,240 of 6,418
Just gonna co-sign on that. It would be incredible and a very useful and popular feature.
Hopefully Frankie from @Shanling is listening (and remembers it was promised as a FW update at some point)...
Frankie - we're talking audiobook and podcast playback support. Nothing exotic - audible is "nice to have" but not mandatory, as many (most ?) people use plain MP3 format for audiobooks and podcasts...

Jan 6, 2019 at 12:32 PM Post #4,241 of 6,418
I have here M0 side by side to Mojo and AT-PHA55BT (BT receiver with warmest and bassiest sound of all 3). Also R2R11 desktop dac/amp which is warm and bassy as well..
Now, Mojo is the brightest from all these. M0 is closer to it then to those bassy amps, but it is definitely not bright, it just sits on the sweet spot. That is the tonality.
Sound of M0 is a little more aggresive and dull than that of Mojo. But the main difference is that Mojo sound technically much better with High impedance (300 Ohm, 600 Ohm) open headphones. It is a night and day difference. 150 Ohm headphones sound close to each other with M0 and Mojo. Mojo still is a bit crispier and less dull, but not much, its already sounding very good with M0. There is chance M0 can sound well with most headphones tonality wise - if it is bright or dark sounding headphone, you will only miss that last bit of excellence. On the other side Mojo is brighter by design and sounds too bright with bright headphones.
I would recommend Mojo over M0 with headphones with higher impedance than 150 Ohm, when their sound is warmer and bassier - not neutral or bright. Mojo is very powerfull and can drive such cans with no issues and it will not go against that coloured character.
I would recommend M0 with headpohones of lower impedance, or with earphones with price tag 350 USD or less. With more expensive earphones, you will hear difference, but I am not saying that Mojo would be the right choice here - there may be more balanced, musical, fuller sounding DAPs out there. It all depends on the tonality of your IEM. Mojo's super traits are: make bass tighter, make highs crispier, make mids cleaner, make placement of notes more precise, make overall sound very high-tech. Negatives of Mojo are: make space narrower, make sound less laid back and show less amount of texture of notes, because it can take away a small amout of bass in the process of doing those sound changes. MO's super trait is: make it sound very well cheap. M0's negatives are: it cannot cross its shade, meaning its sound is not as crisp or rich or relaxed as the sound of much more expensive daps. It is simply jack of all trades.

Now, most headphones these days are warm and bass heavy, so Mojo may work with them very well. Not so much with very clean or very neutral IEMs or with old Sennheiser headphones from 80's. I love those old headphones, and I found Mojo to be too bright with them, as they are designed as not bass heavy as today cans are. Yes, they are 600 Ohm beasts, so Mojo shows its magic. But that is not enough. The main thing that person hears is tonality and timbre, and therefore I may buy replacement of Mojo one day. But it would need to be a beast, because Mojo CAN handle 600 Ohm pretty well.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2019 at 5:53 PM Post #4,243 of 6,418
Shanling MO has to be one of the best audio products on the planet for 100 bucks .
Add in Schiit Magni 3 and 1more Triple driver earbuds.
If you skip muddy 1MORE and add iBasso IT01, I'm gonna agree with this statement...like totally. :) P.S. have/had all of them.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back