Shanling M0 - Smallest Hi-Res Portable Player - New Firmware V3.6
Oct 27, 2018 at 4:48 AM Post #3,767 of 6,413
Hi guys, does anyone know if there is a way/tool to create playlists from songs from specific folders? So I can put those playlist files inside the folder. In this way will M0 be able to recognise playlists?

On my Windows 7 PC, I've installed the Cygwin Linux command line environment.
My music files are saved in a directory structure like this, on my PC, and on my DAPs:

Music/Big Band
Music/Celtic
... (other genres)
Music/Playlists (This folder only contains Playlists)
... (other genres)
Music/Test CD
Music/World

If I wanted to create a playlist with the tracks from my Celtic genre, I'd run these three command lines:

cd Playlists
echo "#EXTM3U" > Celtic.m3u

find -O2 ../Celtic \( -iname "*.flac" -o -iname "*.mp3" \) -print | sort >> Celtic.m3u

After saving the Celtic.m3u file in the Playlists folder on my M0, I can then select it in the folder browser, and the M0 will play all the tracks in the playlist.

Oct 28, 2018 at 1:10 AM Post #3,769 of 6,413
My album covers are always cut from the corners, any fix for that ?

No unfortunately the painted bezel around the screen cuts off a few pixels. Best you could do is use Photoshop Elements or another program to add an 18 pixel border around your album cover art so it all shows. To much work but I might for some where the text on the cover is cut off otherwise I will just leave it.

Oct 28, 2018 at 3:08 AM Post #3,770 of 6,413
Seems strange but I liked the unit that costs literally less than half the other unit. To wit; I really like the M0 and did not love the R3. The only knock on the M0 is that the display is small, so its harder to navigate. But the sound is way better than one might expect at this price point. I like my M2S much better than the R3; but I say go for the M0 and use the savings for other toys.

maaan..i have been disappointed a lot of R3 myself, has all the bell and whistles but the sound isn't inviting and pretty harsh..gonna sell it with all my unused DAPs and just get M0 for on the go and use my stacked Rig in home.

Oct 28, 2018 at 8:39 AM Post #3,771 of 6,413
My album covers are always cut from the corners, any fix for that ?

Resize them with mp3 tag or other tagging software? Not sure what the recommended screen size is for the m0. I tried to keep most of mine to 500x500 but as I listen to somewhat obscure stuff I was limited to what was around at the time.

Oct 29, 2018 at 1:55 AM Post #3,773 of 6,413
Resize them with mp3 tag or other tagging software? Not sure what the recommended screen size is for the m0. I tried to keep most of mine to 500x500 but as I listen to somewhat obscure stuff I was limited to what was around at the time.

I have tried multiple sizes with no luck, they all seemed to get stretched to fit the screen or I simply haven't gone small enough yet. However I did put a 20 pixel border around some cover art where album text was cut off and that works fine for me. So rather than futzing around with a mish mash of different resolutions the simplest solution was to add the border around the cover art. I use Photoshop Elements and simply resize the image canvas by 20 pixels to 420 x 420 and fill in the 20 pixel border in black. Yes it takes some time but until someone comes up with the correct resolution it will work for me for now. Again I only do this for cover art with text near the edge.

Since I want to use the same cover art for my M0 and A17 420 x 420 works fine for both.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2018 at 4:38 AM Post #3,774 of 6,413
Disregard what's below, I've updated to FW2.2.
Hadn't seen it published since I've been monitoring the title of this thread, which still reports 2.1.

However, the battery indicator you'd promised is still missing.
-------------------

Hi, Shanling.
I've been using my M0 via USB audio output with Windows 8.1
I play videos that I frequently pause and rewind, mostly for transcription; VLC player.
I also play music; foobar2000.

There is a problem. The video starts with no audio delay, but after a few pauses or rewinds,
there is a noticable audio delay, sometimes up to a few seconds.

I disconnect the M0 from the cable, reconnect, and it's back to zero.
I've changed the USB Streaming Mode to a number of different options with no effect;
it's currently at Low Latency, which gives me the same results as Minimum Latency.
I've tried changing ASIO Buffer Size but it has no effect, and I'm not using ASIO output on either player anyway.

I experience none of the above problems when I stream over Bluetooth.
Or maybe I do but it's not noticeable.

Do you currently have a fix for this?
Are you aware of this problem?
Will you be issuing a fix for this?

Thank you.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2018 at 5:06 AM Post #3,775 of 6,413
Disregard what's below, I've updated to FW2.2.
Hadn't seen it published since I've been monitoring the title of this thread, which still reports 2.1.

However, the battery indicator you'd promised is still missing.
-------------------

Hi, Shanling.
I've been using my M0 via USB audio output with Windows 8.1
I play videos that I frequently pause and rewind, mostly for transcription; VLC player.
I also play music; foobar2000.

There is a problem. The video starts with no audio delay, but after a few pauses or rewinds,
there is a noticable audio delay, sometimes up to a few seconds.

I disconnect the M0 from the cable, reconnect, and it's back to zero.
I've changed the USB Streaming Mode to a number of different options with no effect;
it's currently at Low Latency, which gives me the same results as Minimum Latency.
I've tried changing ASIO Buffer Size but it has no effect, and I'm not using ASIO output on either player anyway.

I experience none of the above problems when I stream over Bluetooth.
Or maybe I do but it's not noticeable.

Do you currently have a fix for this?
Are you aware of this problem?
Will you be issuing a fix for this?

Thank you.

Forgot to update title of thread, otherwise firmware 2.2 was posted on first page and in thread right away.

Yes we are aware of some delays for the USB output, no fix for it at this time.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Oct 29, 2018 at 5:14 AM Post #3,776 of 6,413
Forgot to update title of thread, otherwise firmware 2.2 was posted on first page and in thread right away.

Yes, the delay is still there with FW 2.2.
I wonder if a reset option is possible, since the other alternatives are cycling power on the M0 or physically disconnecting and reconnecting.

Thanks

Oct 29, 2018 at 12:23 PM Post #3,777 of 6,413

Please see if there is anything you can do to improve this. I love the M0, but the USB latency is horrible. I have tried multiple applications for playback and tried changing streaming/buffer settings in the driver, but significant latency is always there. It doesn't really impact audio playback but it makes video playback unusable due to sync issues. My system details are as follows:

M0 firmware 2.2
USB driver 2.29
Windows 10 Enterprise build 1709
Chrome build 70.0.3538.77 (for YouTube and Google Play Music playback)
Tidal build 2.2.0.496

Like I said, fantastic device otherwise and you guys are doing a great job supporting it!

Oct 30, 2018 at 4:40 PM Post #3,778 of 6,413
On my Windows 7 PC, I've installed the Cygwin Linux command line environment.
My music files are saved in a directory structure like this, on my PC, and on my DAPs:

Music/Big Band
Music/Celtic
... (other genres)
Music/Playlists (This folder only contains Playlists)
... (other genres)
Music/Test CD
Music/World

If I wanted to create a playlist with the tracks from my Celtic genre, I'd run these three command lines:

cd Playlists
echo "#EXTM3U" > Celtic.m3u

find -O2 ../Celtic \( -iname "*.flac" -o -iname "*.mp3" \) -print | sort >> Celtic.m3u

After saving the Celtic.m3u file in the Playlists folder on my M0, I can then select it in the folder browser, and the M0 will play all the tracks in the playlist.
Is this what's required to make and play playlists in this player??? Seriously, in this day and age?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back