Shanling M0 - Smallest Hi-Res Portable Player - New Firmware V3.6
Oct 9, 2018 at 4:02 AM Post #3,406 of 6,413
Whilst I fully understand people's anxiousness to get new features or an otherwise refinement in the software department. Which of the following do you think is more important or effective?

1. Shanling sticks to a strict deadline in delivering software updates

2. They deliver something that isnt half-baked?

Adhering to a deadline leaves very little room to address bugs and other software issues that may crop up as a result of firmware changes being made.
Perhaps I'm alone in this, but I'd much rather that they deliver to their users an honest software improvement not just a mere change
^ This. In fact, for my use, I am perfectly happy with the current firmware - the M0 is already much better than I expected it to be. Having said that, I'm naturally excited to see the new fw though :wink:

Oct 9, 2018 at 4:09 AM Post #3,408 of 6,413
Not really. Software development is not magic, it can be planned. You can even budget time for testing and rework.

Before he went on a break he said the new firmware was being beta-tested in China and would be released after the break.

Previously an updated firmware was suggested for August. It is no longer August (here).

I think that we should cut @Shanling some slack.
He overpromised because he is engaged and keen to provide a good service to us.
He could have said nothing until it is available.
We should nurture and encourage him so that he only has warm and fluffy thoughts when he thinks of this thread.
It's not his fault that software is later than he said and it is only delayed because of problems encountered in testing.
We'd complain more if the new firmware was full of bugs.

Oct 9, 2018 at 4:20 AM Post #3,409 of 6,413
Not really. Software development is not magic, it can be planned. You can even budget time for testing and rework.

Before he went on a break he said the new firmware was being beta-tested in China and would be released after the break.

Previously an updated firmware was suggested for August. It is no longer August (here).

As I said, Beta version was tested over holidays, we got yesterday all the reports and started working on it.

And yes, August was promised to me by our software team. I could go and scream on them for being late, but it would help nothing. And since they don't speak English, it would be kind of pointless.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Oct 9, 2018 at 4:26 AM Post #3,410 of 6,413
As I said, Beta version was tested over holidays, we got yesterday all the reports and started working on it.

And yes, August was promised to me by our software team. I could go and scream on them for being late, but it would help nothing. And since they don't speak English, it would be kind of pointless.
lol :laughing:

Oct 9, 2018 at 4:30 AM Post #3,411 of 6,413

Warm fluffy thoughts.
Rainbows and lollipops.

Oct 9, 2018 at 5:06 AM Post #3,412 of 6,413
Coming

LG also has just one ES9218p Chip, quad DAC is just marketing term regarding internal structure of this chip.

Yeah, people are also unhappy to hear no ETA. We can never win them all.

Unfortunately wording is everything, instead giving an actual date, maybe it would have been more accurate to say we hope to release the next firmware update shortly after the break. When you give an actual date and miss it that is when people start to get irritated. I appreciate you taking the time to make sure the firmware is properly tested and looking forward to see what Shanling was able to do.

Oct 9, 2018 at 7:57 AM Post #3,413 of 6,413
@Shanling Loving the M0 so far........waiting for the next firmware update (hopefully with the ported EQ from the M5s) to do a comprehensive review!

Pairing.jpg

Oct 9, 2018 at 9:23 AM Post #3,414 of 6,413
This is exactly why I didn't like @Shanling pre-announcing the new firmware. Once they miss the release date I start to get frustrated and impatient. If they just released it when ready then no anticipation or frustration.

Well patience is a virtue:wink: Saying I like the Shanling house sound may be an understatement, at first I regretted giving my BFF my M5 a few years back but for me the M2 is still my fave:grin:

Hi Ho Shanling Away.JPG

Used to be the 3 Shanling bears but now they went to MO-Town:thumbsup:

Oct 9, 2018 at 9:40 AM Post #3,415 of 6,413
Recently i brought 4gb microsd which is fat32, i tried all you said like fat32, unzip place it in the root... and still blank after restarting
didnt see any progress screen after restarting, even i leave it to sleep like 5 hour still blank... have to hard reset to get back alive (still 1.0 in screen)
Thats not normal right, I need to sent back to get replacement unit

Some video to see the problem

Now i get it. I think you cannot go from 1.0 to 2.1 . I couldn't go from 1.5 to 2.1 . I went to 2.0 and then to 2.1. Try to update first to 1.5 , then to 2.0 and then to 2.1

Oct 9, 2018 at 12:49 PM Post #3,416 of 6,413
Well patience is a virtue:wink: Saying I like the Shanling house sound may be an understatement, at first I regretted giving my BFF my M5 a few years back but for me the M2 is still my fave:grin:

Used to be the 3 Shanling bears but now they went to MO-Town:thumbsup:

Wow! You TRULY are a fan! lol

Hey Podster.............can you explain what the "Shanling house sound" actually sounds like? Perhaps also compare to other OEMs' sound?

Oct 9, 2018 at 1:10 PM Post #3,417 of 6,413
Well my best description of the Shanling sound is laid back in comparison to my Cayin N3 or Opus #1 and more along the lines of my AK Jr. Shanling has a warm and inviting at least to my tired old ears. Always keep in mind we all hear things a little differently but for me and all the players I've gone through the Shanling's are my faves.

Oct 9, 2018 at 1:33 PM Post #3,418 of 6,413
Well my best description of the Shanling sound is laid back in comparison to my Cayin N3 or Opus #1 and more along the lines of my AK Jr. Shanling has a warm and inviting at least to my tired old ears. Always keep in mind we all hear things a little differently but for me and all the players I've gone through the Shanling's are my faves.

"Warm and inviting"............SOUNDS good to me Podster!

It is nice to hear customers speak with confidence about a brand they love as well.

Well also the fact that you've actually experienced the other "worthy competitors" of Shanling and still prefer them over the rest also says something too. Of course yes we all hear a bit differently from one another, and there's a chance I may listen to the M0 and not be impressed. But the odds are good enough that I would be.

I haven't really heard anyone say the M0 used via BT/LDAC outdoes or even matches the V20 or V30 (Quad DAC) wired on headphones, so for now I will hold off on trying it out. M0 wired probably does, but I'd rather just wait until the point where it can at least match the quality level of the Quad DAC.

Thanks!

Oct 9, 2018 at 8:54 PM Post #3,420 of 6,413
Appreciate the upcoming firmware - when it's ready it's ready. In the meantime it's good as-is.

I do wish that someone would make a wrist band though as this thing is perfect for something like that, especially if you're using BT headphones. I've read here that iPod Nano bands might(?) work but not sure if anyone has tried that and has a specific brand that is known to work.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back