Shanling M0 - Smallest Hi-Res Portable Player - New Firmware V3.6
Jun 13, 2018 at 4:51 PM Post #1,291 of 6,418
Just found an interesting glitch that nearly cost me my hearing... I was using my M0 as a BT receiver with my iPhone X (with the M0 at 43 volume and the iPhone at full volume). I turned the volume on my phone down a bit, and then BAM! The M0 decided to max the volume on its own! It still displayed it as 43, but when I tried to turn the volume down, it showed 43, then started decreasing from 100. I've never been this startled in my life before. I was also using some extremely sensitive IEMs (120+/-5dB) which only made things worse. Anyone else come across this and are there any possible fixes? I was able to replicate this multiple times and I'm wondering if my M0 is defective? It's only done this after updating to v2.0.
I had this happen a couple of times after 2.0 update but also did it by accident by adjusting the volume and the damn slider shows up and I accidentally touched the slider and it hit 100. I would prefer no slider as it is too easy to run to 100 and isn't easy to use anyway on such a small screen. IEM's and 100 aren't much fun.

Jun 13, 2018 at 5:20 PM Post #1,292 of 6,418
I had this happen a couple of times after 2.0 update but also did it by accident by adjusting the volume and the damn slider shows up and I accidentally touched the slider and it hit 100. I would prefer no slider as it is too easy to run to 100 and isn't easy to use anyway on such a small screen. IEM's and 100 aren't much fun.
I can definitely understand doing it on accident, I've had the volume wheel turn when putting it in my pocket. But this is definitely the software acting up. I think Shanling is after me :p

Jun 13, 2018 at 6:07 PM Post #1,294 of 6,418
Just found an interesting glitch that nearly cost me my hearing... I was using my M0 as a BT receiver with my iPhone X (with the M0 at 43 volume and the iPhone at full volume). I turned the volume on my phone down a bit, and then BAM! The M0 decided to max the volume on its own! It still displayed it as 43, but when I tried to turn the volume down, it showed 43, then started decreasing from 100. I've never been this startled in my life before. I was also using some extremely sensitive IEMs (120+/-5dB) which only made things worse. Anyone else come across this and are there any possible fixes? I was able to replicate this multiple times and I'm wondering if my M0 is defective? It's only done this after updating to v2.0.
I tried duplicating this using my HTC10 at max volume with my M0 at about 50%. Lowering the volume on my HTC10 did not result in an increase of volume but rather the volume through my M0 decreased while the volume setting remained the same. Exactly what one would expect.
Sounds like it might be an iPhone issue. Do you by chance have an Android phone to try?
PS: I forgot to mention I am also on v.2.0

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2018 at 9:07 PM Post #1,295 of 6,418
Hello everybody! M0 is surprisingly good. BUT, Guys, please CHECK the work of the balance of channels:
1. In bluetooth mode To make for example the left channel louder, it is necessary for some reason to move the slider to the right! (when changing headphones I have to enter the menu and rearrange the balance from L4 to R4).
2. Also on my M0, the balance of the channels floats, shifts at a loudness from 0 to 30, then approximately to 70 the balance point holds accurately, and then again floats away in another direction. By the way, the channel balance level is very weak, I think no more than + - 6-9 dB in the volume position from 30 to 70 approximately (Checked by Plantronics BACKBEAT PRO 2, Ausdom M05, iDea V207A). For me, this is important, since I hear a slightly worse left ear.
3. And in .. In DAC mode, the balance does not work at all (FX-audio 802C), although the "toy" EQ works. .
THANK YOU!

Tested it on WH700 and truly there is some problem with Channel balance. Will look into it.

Take a look at notes for firmware 2.0:

2. Support of AAC codec added to Bluetooth receiver mode.
Note: Volume of M0 will be controlled by connected iOS device.

It's another lovely part of iOS software, that works counter intuitive to simple solution of Android.
When you connect iOS with M0, at first it follows volume of M0, but when you change volume on iOS in any way, M0 will be forced by iOS to jump to the same volume(aka 80% of iOS, M0 jumps to 80/100).

There is no fix for this, since we didn't find any way how to pair them without iOS forcing its volume setting.

So to all iOS users, when you connect M0, as first thing after connecting, get your iOS device volume to 0 and then start adjusting it to the ideal volume level.

(also added this to FAQ)

Touch controlled volume was one of biggest request with our previous players. Also it works like this on pretty much all devices with touch screen.
To avoid any unwanted changes in volume, we put volume bar in status bar, where you normally have no reason to touch. We found it to be good solution, especially compared to some other players, that shows volume control over the whole screen and are much more prone to accidental extreme volumes.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Jun 13, 2018 at 9:24 PM Post #1,296 of 6,418
For iOS volume issue,

I use my M0 as receiver from i6s, also connect headphone amp with M0 like this,

IMG_4597.JPG

I set output on M0 as line out, volume on M0 can do nothing, also on i6s except mute. All I need to adjust is volume on headphone amp and it works fine.

I'll test again without amp to see if this issue will happen.

Edit to add test report:

Without amp, problem is happen every time, even volume lock function is set as on (I think this will prohibit only physically adjust when screen is off).

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2018 at 11:19 PM Post #1,298 of 6,418
I just posted a quick preview/comparison of 3 wireless Bluetooth headphones here:
https://hometheaterhifi.com/news/product-previews/tale-3-wireless-bluetooth-headphones-first-look/
I've paired each of them up to the M0 with no issues. They all sound subjectively better, to me, paired to the M0 than they do to my iPhone 6S+.
Enjoy.
It is interesting. How does the channel balance work with these BT headphones? At me on 2.0 firmware if to move a slider on the right for some reason plays more loudly the left channel. Please check it.

Jun 14, 2018 at 6:08 AM Post #1,300 of 6,418
I have to agree with the volume touch slider being too easy to accidentally max.

Almost blew my ears out twice using Andromedas, one nudge to the screen set the volume to 100%. I could understand wanting this on previous devices, but for a device as small as the M0, it's a lot easier to make mistakes (also considering the volume knob is right next to the "100%" area of the volume bar).

What you should do for touch volume control is require the user to tap + hold on the location of the volume (the circular knob, i.e. 20) and drag it to your desired volume. Seeing it's not only me that had the issue of accidentally maxing the volume.

Jun 14, 2018 at 7:01 AM Post #1,301 of 6,418
Just got a red M0. Paired it with both my Sony Wi-1000 and MDR-1000 via ldac.Sounds really good. Pulled out a couple of headphones to try and settle it on LZ A2 with high gain have all the bass and details I need for on the go. Still getting used to the touch screen UI.It's a keeper.

Jun 14, 2018 at 7:04 AM Post #1,302 of 6,418
Is there any way to force a FW upgrade if you cannot use the touchscreen?
My problem still persists, not sure how much more I can clean the screen :)

I want to try a force update before I send it back to China :wink:

Thanks

Good news everyone!

Shanling M0 V2.0 firmware update

Download from Google drive

New functions:
1. Support of LDAC codec added to Bluetooth receiver mode.
2. Support of AAC codec added to Bluetooth receiver mode.
Note: Volume of M0 will be controlled by connected iOS device.
3. If Bluetooth headphones/speakers are connected to M0 over LDAC codec, M0 will automatically change quality setting depending on the strength of signal.

Changes and fixes
1. Optimization of touch sensitivity and system speed.
2. Optimization of quality of Bluetooth connection.
3. Optimization of battery indicator.
4. Fixed the problem of Bluetooth connecting while charging.
5. Fixed the problem of card reading error after waking up from standby mode.
6. Fixed the problem of “Add to my favourite” symbol not changing colour properly.
7. Fixed the problem of some album covers not displaying.
8. Fixed the problem of stopping playback while using USB digital output.
9. Fixed other small problems.

How to update:
1. Make sure that M0 is fully charged.
2. Unzip the file and copy “update.bin” file into root folder of micro SD card. Card must be formatted to FAT32.
3. Choose “System Update” in system settings and wait until system restarts.
4. Check in settings “About M0” to be sure new firmware was installed.

Jun 14, 2018 at 7:24 AM Post #1,304 of 6,418
Canadian dealer taking pre-orders

For any Canadians on this thread electronicsforless.ca which is a new Shanling dealer in Canada is taking pre-orders for the M0 to ship July 9th. They also have the new clip to ship at the same time. It looks like the M0 is the only Shanling product they are selling for now. They are in Markham Ontario and I have bought from them before and they are great to deal with. They are offering $10.00 off now for pre-orders with a price of $139.00 CDN.

Jun 14, 2018 at 8:26 AM Post #1,305 of 6,418
how good is the sony mmcx bluethooth cable? can you hear any difference in those 535 against cable?

LDAC is Sony's next Blu-ray. Sony really hit it out f the park this codec and their devices. Been using MUC with the 535 and others for 6 months and it's the same/undecipherable to wired except for DSDs when the source has to down sample.

what model?
I just ordered the 700s with LDAC
some say they are better than the 1000s with ANC

Apples and Oranges. If you need ANC the W1000XM2's are it. Bose QCs are done..
Haven't tried the 700s and really don't have an urge to.

For the users here pairing M0 with Apple devices and others using non LDAC headphones, UPGRADE! You can easily hear the difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back