Shanling M0 - Smallest Hi-Res Portable Player - New Firmware V3.6
Jun 14, 2018 at 9:57 AM Post #1,307 of 6,418
It is interesting. How does the channel balance work with these BT headphones? At me on 2.0 firmware if to move a slider on the right for some reason plays more loudly the left channel. Please check it.
Think of the slider as the balance point of a child's teeter-totter...the further you move it toward the short side, the heavier the long side becomes. Some of the iBasso DAP's balance controls work the same way.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2018 at 10:08 AM Post #1,308 of 6,418
something to try with the clip case
81ue5ZFRVeL._SL1500_.jpg

Jun 14, 2018 at 10:30 AM Post #1,310 of 6,418
It is interesting. How does the channel balance work with these BT headphones? At me on 2.0 firmware if to move a slider on the right for some reason plays more loudly the left channel. Please check it.
Just checked and it works like you describe on each of the three BT headphones that I have. It seems a little counter-intuitive.
I've also experienced the situation where when I've hooked my MO to my OPPO HA2-SE via USB, the volume blasts out at maximum when I begin to play a track and then resets itself when I touch the volume control on the M0. OPPO's volume was set pretty low when this happened. Workaround is to keep the OPPO's volume control at 0 when I first start to play a track and then adjust but someone could potentially damage a good pair of headphones if they aren't careful.

Jun 14, 2018 at 10:32 AM Post #1,311 of 6,418
Yeah. Can't cut into that profit margin to benefit their users or entice new ones.
It really is a shame what's happened to Apple. A couple of my buddies own the iPhone X, and it is a beautiful device; externally, it's prettier than my V30. But you have to jump through hoops to play FLAC on it and anything lossless has to go through the lightning port because everything you push via BT gets compressed with AAC. I can see why iPhone users would want something equivalent to HiBy link on the M0. It's like Apple totally threw in the towel on audio. Can't help but wonder where they'd be if Jobs were still alive...

Jun 14, 2018 at 11:26 AM Post #1,312 of 6,418
For iOS volume issue,

I use my M0 as receiver from i6s, also connect headphone amp with M0 like this,

I set output on M0 as line out, volume on M0 can do nothing, also on i6s except mute. All I need to adjust is volume on headphone amp and it works fine.

I'll test again without amp to see if this issue will happen.

Edit to add test report:

Without amp, problem is happen every time, even volume lock function is set as on (I think this will prohibit only physically adjust when screen is off).

The HiRes sticker has to come off if you're paired AAC.

But Apple doesn't support any codec that requires them to pay 3rd party licensing fees. Ahhh! You mean upgrade from Apple to Android?!? Got it! :wink:

Nice sarcasm. It pains me to see the pic above with that nice interconnect, paired AAC!

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2018 at 11:35 AM Post #1,313 of 6,418
It really is a shame what's happened to Apple. A couple of my buddies own the iPhone X, and it is a beautiful device; externally, it's prettier than my V30. But you have to jump through hoops to play FLAC on it and anything lossless has to go through the lightning port because everything you push via BT gets compressed with AAC. I can see why iPhone users would want something equivalent to HiBy link on the M0. It's like Apple totally threw in the towel on audio. Can't help but wonder where they'd be if Jobs were still alive...

I am willing to bet you that many people listens to music on their iphone with a bluetooth headphones than the rest of head-fi and audio forum users combined.
In short they don't care if their view or approach to music listening does not fit yours/our expectations . By saying they threw the towel on audio is absolutely non-sensical. They just don't go with the traditional audiophile beliefs.

Jun 14, 2018 at 12:18 PM Post #1,316 of 6,418
I am willing to bet you that many people listens to music on their iphone with a bluetooth headphones than the rest of head-fi and audio forum users combined.
In short they don't care if their view or approach to music listening does not fit yours/our expectations . By saying they threw the towel on audio is absolutely non-sensical. They just don't go with the traditional audiophile beliefs.
I think it's more, if they can't keep it within their walled garden and maintain their profit margin regardless of what their user base wants, they don't do it. If that's what you meant by what their view or approach is, then I agree.

And for people that want a watch, just wait for the clip to be released, send one to someone that deals with 3d printing and have them scan it, add in the ends for a 20 or 22mm band and print it up. I doubt the number of people that actually want a watch band is financially feasible to develop by Shanling. I don't see why I'd want something on my wrist double the height of my Garmin watch where it's sole purpose is to play music.

Third note along those lines as someone mentioned it earlier, I would have gladly taken a footprint somewhere between the M0 and M1 if it were made thinner. Especially if it's something to be worn on a belt or if people want to use it on their wrists. Thickness becomes important. The farther it extends from the body, the more gravity effects it. It bounces more (like if you're running), and can more easily get caught on something where it can get damaged, break away from its case and so on.

That was my main issue with the M1, outside of the BT connection, and running with it at my waist. It bounced around quite bit.

Jun 14, 2018 at 12:19 PM Post #1,317 of 6,418

No one will take you up on that Captain Obvious bet. It's more that Apple is gaming the public's ignorance.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2018 at 12:39 PM Post #1,318 of 6,418
That was my main issue with the M1, outside of the BT connection, and running with it at my waist. It bounced around quite bit.

I don't have any BT headphones to test with my M1, so I'm curious how it handles it. I imagine from the wording of your post it wasn't very good, but I wonder if it was a potentially isolated case if it was bad?

Jun 14, 2018 at 12:51 PM Post #1,319 of 6,418
I don't have any BT headphones to test with my M1, so I'm curious how it handles it. I imagine from the wording of your post it wasn't very good, but I wonder if it was a potentially isolated case if it was bad?
I just had horrible reception with it at my waist while running. Made. It unusable for running. Ripped off my clip and used a finger strap to the back of the case and slipped it on the inside of two fingers while running. Helped a bit.

Jun 14, 2018 at 1:15 PM Post #1,320 of 6,418
In short they don't care if their view or approach to music listening does not fit yours/our expectations. By saying they threw the towel on audio is absolutely non-sensical. They just don't go with the traditional audiophile beliefs.
Throwing in the towel = "You want the best quality audio? Here's a digital port - go plug your own DAC/amp into it." And don't complain when you can't charge your device at the same time without buying a 3rd party adapter, or that the digital port is also proprietary and requires a license fee to use. Of course most people don't know/care, but it's disappointing that even folks like you can't see through their cynicism. Apple's strategy of continually shrinking the perimeter of their garden wall does nothing to benefit the consumer. I don't care if you're an Apple shareholder - there's no ethical defense of what they're doing.

And for people that want a watch, just wait for the clip to be released, send one to someone that deals with 3d printing and have them scan it, add in the ends for a 20 or 22mm band and print it up. I doubt the number of people that actually want a watch band is financially feasible to develop by Shanling. I don't see why I'd want something on my wrist double the height of my Garmin watch where it's sole purpose is to play music.

Third note along those lines as someone mentioned it earlier, I would have gladly taken a footprint somewhere between the M0 and M1 if it were made thinner. Especially if it's something to be worn on a belt or if people want to use it on their wrists. Thickness becomes important. The farther it extends from the body, the more gravity effects it. It bounces more (like if you're running), and can more easily get caught on something where it can get damaged, break away from its case and so on.

We actually had some discussions on thickness with Frankie on the M1 thread a couple of weeks before the M0 was even announced. Apparently going thinner would require more work on an integrated display panel and would result in a device that would be more difficult to repair. For the price of the M0, I could live with that. My 6th gen Nano is still going strong (although it doesn't sound as good as the M0, has a bit of a noise floor and doesn't have any of the BT/DAC features the M0 does and only has 16 Gb memory...). In practice, I don't know how many of us will end up removing the screens of our M0s to do repairs anyway. The clip case may be ok, but I wonder how durable a no-hinge plastic clip will be in the long run. (I'm still curious about those red "X" marks on the case diagram showing the clip being pulled back too far!) I think it'd be great to see some 3D-printed or other higher-quality manufactured alternatives. The M0 is such an awesome device, it deserves something a bit more solid and luxurious than an all-plastic clip case, IMHO. But I guess I should reserve judgement...

Really loving the M0. So much so that I'm actually kind of worried for folks like FiiO. (I'm a FiiO fan and an X7ii owner.) For Shanling to engineer such a tiny, feature-packed DAP with their own new OS from scratch with very few bugs in it (sorry FiiO, that was a cheap shot at you) and provide such quick updates with the level of communication we get on this forum from Frankie is totally unprecedented - this has to eat into the sales of companies like FiiO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back