Shanling M0 - Smallest Hi-Res Portable Player - New Firmware V3.6
May 28, 2018 at 3:18 PM Post #812 of 6,418
I don't use a smartphone, and while I'm familiar with podcasting apps from my tablet and my wife's Android phone, what I would like is the functionality that used to be common in stand-alone media players such as the iPod and Sansa lines. Simply put, files that have a genre or location that gets read as "audiobook" or "podcast" would be treated a little differently. They would not show up in music shuffle, they would have the ability to speed them up or slow them down (without that being a system-wide switch), and they would automatically get a bookmark when you left any specific podcast file, so you could listen to music and then go back to the podcast (or audiobook) and resume exactly where you were without any special effort.

These functions do not require any sort of major heavy lifting, as one would find in a full-fledged podcasting app. There's no need to download or convert or parse an RSS feed. Just recognize that audio books and podcasts are not music, and give a few small features to reduce the effort of switching between music and spoken word. I'm actually astonished that DAPs seem to have lost these features that once were touted as being so awesome and amazing and useful.

Someone else who recognizes this! Mind you it has been quite handy as it's meant I've been able to eliminate many an expensive dap due to these issues. If/when shanling implement them they've got a purchase from me.

May 28, 2018 at 3:19 PM Post #813 of 6,418
Sure, but once both values are adjusted, how do you confirm it?
Long press doesn't do it for me, optionally I can upload the whole process, but that wouldn't be practical

After you adjust the time, just swipe to the right (to go back to Settings) and the new time will be displayed.

May 28, 2018 at 3:19 PM Post #814 of 6,418
looking forward to reading peoples reviews as they receive theirs - on the verge of buying (but still have the cayin n3 in my mind)!!

on a separate note, I'm no expert in audio, especially the electronic side, but wondering how come people make a big fuss out of the DAC chip when they are literally £2? The DAP manufactures like to advertise the DAC chip they are using, yet since they are so cheap, if there was any difference in sound quality between chips, manufacturers would just all use the best one since they are so cheap right? It's not as if budget DAPs would need budget DAC chips... Maybe I'm missing something though.

May 28, 2018 at 3:22 PM Post #815 of 6,418
Can I at least use folder browsing to activate my playlist on sd card

Yes, in folder browsing you can add to Playlist, add to Favorites, or delete song/folder. And you can do that to individual song or the whole folder.

May 28, 2018 at 3:22 PM Post #816 of 6,418
Someone else who recognizes this! Mind you it has been quite handy as it's meant I've been able to eliminate many an expensive dap due to these issues. If/when shanling implement them they've got a purchase from me.

It's also frustrating that reviewers nowadays are almost exclusively focused on the audiophile angle, and forget the ease-of-use features. For instance, I actually use custom playlists that I put on the player after building them on my computer. This seems to be a very neglected item on the checklists of most reviewers. I can only assume that the audiophile audience only cares about listening to full albums, and never personally-curated playlists. :)

May 28, 2018 at 4:27 PM Post #820 of 6,418
I don't use a smartphone, and while I'm familiar with podcasting apps from my tablet and my wife's Android phone, what I would like is the functionality that used to be common in stand-alone media players such as the iPod and Sansa lines. Simply put, files that have a genre or location that gets read as "audiobook" or "podcast" would be treated a little differently. They would not show up in music shuffle, they would have the ability to speed them up or slow them down (without that being a system-wide switch), and they would automatically get a bookmark when you left any specific podcast file, so you could listen to music and then go back to the podcast (or audiobook) and resume exactly where you were without any special effort.

These functions do not require any sort of major heavy lifting, as one would find in a full-fledged podcasting app. There's no need to download or convert or parse an RSS feed. Just recognize that audio books and podcasts are not music, and give a few small features to reduce the effort of switching between music and spoken word. I'm actually astonished that DAPs seem to have lost these features that once were touted as being so awesome and amazing and useful.
I wholeheartedly support this sentiment.

May 28, 2018 at 5:38 PM Post #821 of 6,418
Hallöchen. Ein Norddeutscher? Hier auch!

Moin!

Eigentlich ein britischer Braunschweiger, aber bei dem Wetter muss man ja für ein paar Tage an die Küste fahren...

May 28, 2018 at 9:53 PM Post #823 of 6,418
Important functions for me:
- remember last positions in the podcast / audiobook
- set speed to 1x / 1.25x / 1.5x
- 15 sec skip "button" (useful for going fast over boring discussions in podcasts)

Thanks, I'm using some apps on my Android, but looking for input from others.

As digital transport the M0 has an issue. It stops the playback after a while......

I’ve also just noticed this. It just cuts out after a while. Very annoying! Can it be fixed?

We are aware of this problem and firmware 1.52 I tested this morning should fix it. I played for about 40 minutes so far, not a single pause in music.

For those who have tried, I would like to know how easy it is to connect to a DAC/AMP with a USB-C cable since I've always had a finicky time using those things.

If the DAC USB input is set in fairly simply way(doesn't demand too much power or some special drivers), connecting is easy. Just get USB-C to whatever cable and connect. Nothing else to set up.

Sure, but once both values are adjusted, how do you confirm it?
Long press doesn't do it for me, optionally I can upload the whole process, but that wouldn't be practical

From clock setting, just swipe right.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
May 29, 2018 at 2:03 AM Post #825 of 6,418
Does anyone here have a problem with the touchscreen on M0. While swiping, it frequently appear stuck and does not respond for several seconds then suddenly it keeps scrolling and/or buttons seemingly being pressed randomly. It does this continuously until I press the button to turn off/on the screen. I'm on FW 1.5.

This is similar condition to the first batches of iBasso DX200 if anyone here remembers it. There was no fix but to return my DX200 for replacement. I hope this is just a FW defect on M0.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back