Shanling M0 - Smallest Hi-Res Portable Player - New Firmware V3.6
May 26, 2018 at 3:04 PM Post #766 of 6,418
My M0 and case has been shipped. Hopefully it will arrive first part of next week. Looking forward to comparing overall performance to that of my M1.

May 26, 2018 at 6:30 PM Post #767 of 6,418
hmm I'm debating on getting this or not, getting sick of trying to otg music and dacs with my phone and more and more smartphones are coming out without a headphone jack. It's got everything I want right now, even usb-c digital output and it reminds me of my old ipod nano 6th gen I had long ago. But yeah I can get this shipped by a week or 2 via amazon so wondering if i should get it or any better for the price and/or size...

May 27, 2018 at 2:40 AM Post #769 of 6,418
I was wondering if there was any guide on how to set it up as an external DAC/AMP on windows 10. I tried using the monitor and digital outputs for the playback devices, but I can't get any sound to come out from things I play on my PC. I changed the usb mode to dac, plugged it into the pc, and the screen on the m0 though says it is in dac mode and outputting in 24 bit 48khz...but I don't know where to go from there.

Edit: Just read in instructions you need a driver installed first...is it the same for android?

Also - in the instructions it says avoid using while charging...but it charges when in DAC mode connected to the pc...does this damage the device?

Last edited:
May 27, 2018 at 8:21 AM Post #771 of 6,418
My M0 and case has been shipped. Hopefully it will arrive first part of next week. Looking forward to comparing overall performance to that of my M1.

Try it with the D14. You won’t be disappointed!

May 27, 2018 at 7:45 PM Post #773 of 6,418
The Sony headphone has ldac and so does the M0. This is BT so no cable needed. I was hoping the M0 could grab the music from the iPhone and the headphone could connect to the M0 so I could have ldac instead of aac codec the iPhone uses.

Can’t be done and I understand.

Even if M0 had simultaneous bidirectional BT, your iPhone still couldn't do what you want because the bottleneck is the iPhone's AAC slow codec.

May 27, 2018 at 7:48 PM Post #774 of 6,418
Agree, "wire" M0 to your smartphone/dap source and pair up with LDAC enabled headphones (if you want to stream apps from your source). But I think due to a lack of more LDAC enabled wireless headphones (anybody else besides Sony and upcoming Fiio cans supports it?) and more LDAC enabled sources - M0 can convert any wired pair of headphones/iems into LDAC wireless one.

The M0 won't act as a USB DAC and simultaneously transmit BT as of firmware 1.5. I suspect it will never be able to do it.

May 27, 2018 at 7:59 PM Post #775 of 6,418
The M0 won't act as a USB DAC and simultaneously transmit BT as of firmware 1.5. I suspect it will never be able to do it.

Would be nice, at least that's what I'm hoping for, but will see. Right now I hope to be able to pair up M0 with WM1Z using LDAC, wihch is not possible yet.

shanling_m0-53.jpg

May 27, 2018 at 8:31 PM Post #777 of 6,418
THE POWER OF MUSIC COMPELS YOU!!!

My son was giving me a dirty look why I'm using his toys to play with my toys.

May 27, 2018 at 8:46 PM Post #779 of 6,418
May 27, 2018 at 9:25 PM Post #780 of 6,418
I think the real confusion is that people want to use the M0 as a transmitter/receiver at the same time to leverage the LDAC capabilities of the M0. iOS obviously only supports AAC and Android will not be introducing support for LDAC until Android 8.x + the manufacturer allowing/using it on their fork of Android.

I understand that most people want to use LDAC but want to use it to stream from the phone to the M0 then to an LDAC enabled headset. What I see Shanling saying is that you can't do that because of the limitations of the Bluetooth on the M0 (or in general). i.e. it can't be used to transmit/receive BT at the same time. The easy work around is to connect the M0 in DAC mode via cable then Bluetooth (LDAC) out to the headset. @Shanling, correct me if I'm wrong as I've seen the question asked multiple times and this might serve to explain (if I'm correct).

You got it correct, people want to send AAC and have M0 "transform" it into LDAC. It doesn't work this way, you would be still getting just the AAC quality in the end. Talk to Apple if you want better sound over BT.
To second part, unfortunately you can't connect M0 as USB DAC to phone and use it as BT source. Also, you can't even connect M0 as USB DAC to anything running iOS.

How does this compare with the M3s sound wise? Can someone be kind enough to do a comparison between the two players?

M3s would be much more neutral sounding, M0 is kind of warmer, more full bodied and I would say, more fun,.

Agree, "wire" M0 to your smartphone/dap source and pair up with LDAC enabled headphones (if you want to stream apps from your source). But I think due to a lack of more LDAC enabled wireless headphones (anybody else besides Sony and upcoming Fiio cans supports it?) and more LDAC enabled sources - M0 can convert any wired pair of headphones/iems into LDAC wireless one.

M0 doesn't currently have this function, of serving as USB BT antenna. Not really planned for now (not even talking about reliability of Androids as source for USB DAC).

Haha, yeah, converting normal headphones into BT one is idea I heard a lot. Just get some short cable, glue M0 to the cup/headband and you got yourself some useful DIY BT headphones :D

Does the M0 still have the same 15,000 file limit as previous M version DAPs ? if so , will this be addressed in the future?

System is not done by HiBy, so it doesn't have its limits. On M0, currently limit is set at 40 000 files, but could be pushed higher, if we get like 1 or 2 TB cards in near future.

Back in March, there was talk of audio book and podcast support, specifically bookmarking and speed controls. Now that the device is real, and firmware is up to v1.5, how's that going?

We are working on some more essential functions of our own system. Audiobooks are still planned.
To everybody, can you give us tips on your favorite android/iOS audiobook apps?

@Shanling , Frankie, one big request. It would be awesome to have playback buttons and scroll bar on one screen, instead of swiping to the next screen every time you want to fast forward the song. So, can you please ask Hiby to combine it in the next FW release?

Also, in the playback screen, instead of swiping left to get to 2nd screen with song info, add to playlist and music setting and then another swipe to lyrics window - can you swipe up/down to get to those windows? If you put fast forward scroll bar on the main screen, just to eliminate error of swiping screen left/right vs fast forward/back, it will make sense to swipe up/down to get to other screens. I noticed, up/down swiping is not implemented in the touch screen interface yet, so would be a good idea. I do like ability to assign a short cut to double click on volume wheel (works great for play/pause) and long press on display to get to the main menu. But I would LOVE to have playback button controls and scrolling through a song on the same screen, PLEASE!!! :D

Our M0 has no connection with HiBy.
Progress bar, will see about it.
For now, we feel swiping right/left is enough. Already too confusing for some customers...

Not very responsive?
Thnx my friend, I will wait to see if they tweak the firmware. Like I said not that I need it, plus the Shanling I had used the scroll wheel and hardware buttons (m2) and It worked pretty good (no touch screen).

We already changed swiping a lot in 1.5 firmware. Some people were confused by early videos posted from Japan on first version of firmware.

I was wondering if there was any guide on how to set it up as an external DAC/AMP on windows 10. I tried using the monitor and digital outputs for the playback devices, but I can't get any sound to come out from things I play on my PC. I changed the usb mode to dac, plugged it into the pc, and the screen on the m0 though says it is in dac mode and outputting in 24 bit 48khz...but I don't know where to go from there.

Edit: Just read in instructions you need a driver installed first...is it the same for android?

Also - in the instructions it says avoid using while charging...but it charges when in DAC mode connected to the pc...does this damage the device?

On Windows, you need to install drivers, download them from our website.
If you want to use M0 as DAC with Android phone, no need for drivers. But your phone and its software must support such function.
It's standard recommendation in almost all manuals of electronic devices, in theory, it's always better to not use device while it's charging. No problems when using it as DAC with computer.

Would be nice, at least that's what I'm hoping for, but will see. Right now I hope to be able to pair up M0 with WM1Z using LDAC, wihch is not possible yet.

Working on LDAC receiver support, have working beta firmware with it right now.
But we also need to look into BT of SOny players, seems it's somehow twisted and only shows BT headphones/speakers, not other BT devices like mobile phones and our players...

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back