Shanling M0 - Smallest Hi-Res Portable Player - New Firmware V3.6
Nov 2, 2020 at 1:32 PM Post #6,136 of 6,418
Hi,

I realized today that my SD card has problems :sweat_smile:

I thought first about another problem during the synchronization with the M0 because once the SD card was into the M0, files were just disappearing :astonished:

I figured out that the files were already gone right after the transfer from my computer :poop:
Try several times and to format again the file : no change.
I return it and I just bought this time a decent model (30€ to 100€, this time an « extreme » from a very well known brand :ok_hand:)

I should get it on Wednesday, I’ll let you know:L3000:

The market is rife with fake sd cards, both counterfeits of major brands like SanDisk and Samsung, and off-brands that are crap quality or nowhere near the capacity as is claimed. Definitely an area where if it seems too good to be true pricewise, assume that it is.

Nov 5, 2020 at 11:35 AM Post #6,137 of 6,418
I just copied 300 go to my New SC card, it lasted one hour and there was no problem with the synchronization :ok_hand:
And there were special characters :stuck_out_tongue:

I just have to enjoy the music now :L3000::L3000:

Crappy SD card i had befor...

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2020 at 9:02 PM Post #6,139 of 6,418
1. Spelling. After the latest update, all my titles are displaying correctly, including the "difficult" French, Czech, German and African titles. Good work of the software team in eliminating accidental Chinese characters. Even song titles written in Cyrillic and Ethiopian script are displaying correctly :wink:

2. Images. As for Image Files (Album Cover), it seems that the requirements have been changing during the software updates in the past. There was a time that my M0 displayed Album Covers with a size of 1440x1440 pixels, but they are not showing anymore. Right now, with my M0, Album Art is not displaying when:
- The size is 1000x1000 pixels or higher. (can be solved by cropping the picture and replacing it)
- The picture is rectangular instead of square. Especially when one side of the picture is more than 999 pixels (e.g. 900x1100 pixels). Can be solved by cropping the picture to a square
- The picture is not .jpeg or .jpg. GIF files are never showing. Can be solved by converting the file to jpg and replacing it.
- The type tag of the Cover Art is other than "front cover". Typically, album art added in iTunes has the type "other" instead of "front cover" - these covers are never displayed by the M0. This can be resolved by removing the Album Art in the excellent and free Mp3Tag program (also works with FLAC, WAV, and OGG but not with .WV and APE files) and adding it again. Mp3Tag can also automatically make Album Art smaller, and you can specify your custom maximum size. I use 950 pixels maximum and M0 will always display those pictures.

Some rectangular pictures are deformed when they are displayed.
Almost all cover art is not shown completely. Often the sides of the picture (near the edges) is cut off - the picture is "zoomed in" slightly, often losing the artist name and album title texts at the top or bottom of the Album Art.

Having files in my Library that have large, rectangular or GIF files as Album Art has never caused any problems with updating the Library for me. The Library works, but the album art of those files is simply not showing.

3. Maximum number of titles in Library. Since the maximum is set to 20.000 titles there is no longer value in buying a larger SD card. When I used a 256Gb card I already had more than 20K titles on it, and now I use a 512GB card it is slightly more than half full with 22000 titles, 50% FLAC and WAV files (large) and 50% other, smaller file types (ape, ogg, mp3, wv and even some AAC). It has to be said that the M0 plays all these file types flawlessly, also in random order. But what is the use of offering the use of larger SD cards when the number of files is limited to 20K?

It was mentioned that larger numbers of files can be played in FOLDER play. Would that also work with, let's say, 30.000 songs in 1 folder? I would like to be able to shuffle everything even when my Library stops working :xf_cool: If that works I can make a copy of my SD card with all music in 1 folder...

Nov 21, 2020 at 12:56 AM Post #6,140 of 6,418
I have some album art above 1000x1000 that displays alright. I notice that they do not display (default Shanling art displays instead) if larger than 2.5mb or so. That isn't often but when that happens I save the jpg with more compression to reduce the size, maintaining resolution.

Nov 22, 2020 at 2:16 AM Post #6,141 of 6,418
Hi guys,

Sorry, too lazy to read the 400 pages to get theanswer to my questions :
- can I use the M0 as a BT receiver so I can stream music from computer to MO via BT and play music over headphones (I thin I can do that but just want to make sure)
- if so, I see it has apt-x and LDAC. Will the apt-x also support aptx-HD ?

Thanks a lot for your answers.

Regards.

Nov 22, 2020 at 3:55 AM Post #6,142 of 6,418
Hi guys,

Sorry, too lazy to read the 400 pages to get theanswer to my questions :
- can I use the M0 as a BT receiver so I can stream music from computer to MO via BT and play music over headphones (I thin I can do that but just want to make sure)
- if so, I see it has apt-x and LDAC. Will the apt-x also support aptx-HD ?

Regards.
The 'Search this thread" field above is very useful in these cases.

A search for 'Apt-X HD' yields this:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sha...ess-sabre-es9218p-fw-3-5.874859/post-14927370

Nov 22, 2020 at 4:12 AM Post #6,143 of 6,418
Hi,

Thanks for your answer.

So to make that perfectly clear :
I would like to use the M0 as a BT receiver. So I can send files to the M0 from my phone or my computer to the M0 and the M0 then plays those files to the headphones connected with a wire.
In other words I'd like to use to be able to turn my wired phones into wireless headphones.

So if I get you right :
- I can do that ;
- but to do that I have to use SBC, AAC or LDAC, but I cannot use aptx AT ALL to do that ?

That link is from 2015. No update/upgrade since then ?
If not : not that bad : my phone is LDAC enabled and the BT emitter I am waiting for also does LDAC.

Thanks a lot.

Regards.

Nov 22, 2020 at 5:57 AM Post #6,144 of 6,418
Hi,

Thanks for your answer.

I would like to use the M0 as a BT receiver. So I can send files to the M0 from my phone or my computer to the M0 and the M0 then plays those files to the headphones connected with a wire.
In other words I'd like to use to be able to turn my wired phones into wireless headphones.

So if I get you right :
- I can do that ;
- but to do that I have to use SBC, AAC or LDAC, but I cannot use aptx AT ALL to do that ?

If not : not that bad : my phone is LDAC enabled and the BT emitter I am waiting for also does LDAC.

Thanks a lot.

Regards.

I believe that aptX-HD uses a different BT chip - so it requires a hardware change/upgrade, rather than just a firmware update.

Nov 22, 2020 at 6:23 AM Post #6,145 of 6,418
I believe that aptX-HD uses a different BT chip - so it requires a hardware change/upgrade, rather than just a firmware update.
Hi,

thanks for your answer.

OK, so no aptx (and especially no patx-HD) when the thing is used as BT receiver.
That leaves the question open : M0 or BTR3...

As the devices that I'll use will have LDAC, maybe the M0 is still a better choice : can be used as BT receiver and DAP...

Food for thought.

Regards.

Nov 22, 2020 at 7:42 PM Post #6,146 of 6,418
Hi,

Thanks for your answer.

So if I get you right :
- I can do that ;

Thanks a lot.

Regards.

Yes, M0 can be used as a BT receiver.
And yes, in receiver mode it supports only SBC, AAC and LDAC.

But I will say, if your prime reason for getting M0 would be to use it as a BT receiver and you wouldn't use any of its other features, it would be better to look at our UP2 or UP4 Bluetooth receivers, which will act much better in such role.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Nov 23, 2020 at 1:56 PM Post #6,147 of 6,418
Yes, M0 can be used as a BT receiver.
And yes, in receiver mode it supports only SBC, AAC and LDAC.

But I will say, if your prime reason for getting M0 would be to use it as a BT receiver and you wouldn't use any of its other features, it would be better to look at our UP2 or UP4 Bluetooth receivers, which will act much better in such role.

Hi,

Would like to report that I just got the M0 in "Titanium" colour.
So far I have only hooked it up to my computer that is Linux powered (Arch based distro).
The thing is detected by the system without any problem.

Listening to some tracks on my Oppo PM-1 headphone...

So far it seems that this thing can sing when used as a USB DAC.
Amazing how much you can put into such a small device !

But if I can :
- use it as USB DAC ;
- use it it as BT receiver when I want ;
- use it as a DAP when I am on the run...

Then for 110€ including a 128GB SD card, I'd say it's a really nice all-in-one swiss army knife.

Any successor that you think to release (maybe a better DAC and with aptx included as a receiver) ? If so, it may be ordered as soon as it is released :wink:

Regards.

Nov 26, 2020 at 12:42 AM Post #6,148 of 6,418
Hi,

One quick question about M0 : is it possible that when I use it as a BT receiver it is advised NOT to turn transmitter volume to max because that may cause a distorsion/saturation when playing (especially at "louder" volumes) ?

If so, is that M0 specific or is that a common problem in BT ? I would think this is a BT problem and not a M0 Problem, but who knows ?

Second thing : when I use it as a USB DAC there's a big USB logo showing. That logo displays "24bits/44khz". Sometimes that is all it displays. Sometimes it displays 24 bits/ 96 khz". Of course that is with the same files that are native 24/96 files. So it that display trustworthy ?

Regards.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2020 at 2:19 AM Post #6,149 of 6,418
One quick question about M0 : is it possible that when I use it as a BT receiver it is advised NOT to turn transmitter volume to max because that may cause a distorsion/saturation when playing (especially at "louder" volumes) ?

If so, is that M0 specific or is that a common problem in BT ? I would think this is a BT problem and not a M0 Problem, but who knows ?

Second thing : when I use it as a USB DAC there's a big USB logo showing. That logo displays "24bits/44khz". Sometimes that is all it displays. Sometimes it displays 24 bits/ 96 khz". Of course that is with the same files that are native 24/96 files. So it that display trustworthy ?

Regards.

So when you have volume at max on your phone(or whatever you are using as source), you are getting some distortion on M0's output, do I understand it correctly? I haven't seen such issue on the M0 myself.

Sampling rate should be showing correctly in accordance with files you play (if you system or apps are not affecting it in any way). If it shows 96kHz on 96kHz file, seems you have it set up alright.
M0 is not able to recognize if you are playing 16 bit or 24bit, so this info is pretty much meaningless on its screen.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Nov 26, 2020 at 2:37 AM Post #6,150 of 6,418
So when you have volume at max on your phone(or whatever you are using as source), you are getting some distortion on M0's output, do I understand it correctly? I haven't seen such issue on the M0 myself.

Sampling rate should be showing correctly in accordance with files you play (if you system or apps are not affecting it in any way). If it shows 96kHz on 96kHz file, seems you have it set up alright.
M0 is not able to recognize if you are playing 16 bit or 24bit, so this info is pretty much meaningless on its screen.

Hi,

Thanks a lot for your answer.

OK. My M0 reports 24/48 whatever I feed it with : 16/44, 24/48, 24/88 or 24/96.
Sometimes, with no real explanation, it displays sample rate correctly :frowning2:

Concerning the sound saturation, that is bad news. That may mean that my headphone is defective. And I'd hate to have that as the Oppo brand has vanished and that the headphones cannot be serviced under those conditions :frowning2: I'll try to find some tool that can measure the output and see if that happens when the 0dB limit is reached.

But for the rest, I must say that this little thingy is a real steal and I really hope it will have a successor (maybe with an AK449x DAC chip :))

Regards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back