Shanling M0 - Smallest Hi-Res Portable Player - New Firmware V3.6
May 11, 2019 at 1:38 AM Post #5,086 of 6,418
Good suggestion indeed, I prefer wired headset actually. Some studiew said Bluetooth is not good for health over time.

I always wear cap in my long run, but my worry about MO sweat resistant as I sweat quite a bit.

I have taken the m0 through some long runs / ultras / hikes / ski trips / whatever. I sweat A LOT. It was fine just being in the pocket or in one of the mesh pockets of my running vest. By the way, I used exclusively wired too, no issues. What it however did not survive was a trip through a washing machine. Ah well.

Now that I am in a need of a new player, I am debating whether to go for m0 again. Form factor was beyond excellent. Sound was very very good. Battery life so-so, a bit on the weaker side. But the controls, arghh, the controls. Basically I couldn't control the player on a run, since once it got covered in sweat, the screen stopped being responsive, and no amount of cleaning seemed to help, the only solution was to let it dry out completely. So I think I was reduced to double pressing the wheel button for the next track, which was frustrating when I wanted to change to a different album or a podcast.

What I would ideally like is something with the same form factor, comparable sound quality (I am willing to compromise here) and hardware buttons. And ideally some podcast support. Something like, say, a rockboxed clip+. **Major sigh.**

May 11, 2019 at 3:41 AM Post #5,087 of 6,418
I have taken the m0 through some long runs / ultras / hikes / ski trips / whatever. I sweat A LOT. It was fine just being in the pocket or in one of the mesh pockets of my running vest. By the way, I used exclusively wired too, no issues. What it however did not survive was a trip through a washing machine. Ah well.

Now that I am in a need of a new player, I am debating whether to go for m0 again. Form factor was beyond excellent. Sound was very very good. Battery life so-so, a bit on the weaker side. But the controls, arghh, the controls. Basically I couldn't control the player on a run, since once it got covered in sweat, the screen stopped being responsive, and no amount of cleaning seemed to help, the only solution was to let it dry out completely. So I think I was reduced to double pressing the wheel button for the next track, which was frustrating when I wanted to change to a different album or a podcast.

What I would ideally like is something with the same form factor, comparable sound quality (I am willing to compromise here) and hardware buttons. And ideally some podcast support. Something like, say, a rockboxed clip+. **Major sigh.**
Thanks for sharing, I have USB and earphone jack dust cover , hope it will prevent sweat and water seep through.

Just to share recently I got Sandisk Sport Clip Plus (SSCP) 16GB internal storage only, with IPX5, tried and pairing with my Jabra Elite Active 65t, sound quality is not bad, neutral, slighly lack of bass, but for running , it's acceptable as not go for critical listening. Music is mental motivation but yet we need to be stay focus surrounding .

It's reported SSCP battery life is 20 hours , not sure about Bluetooth mode… should be more than 5 hours of Jabra, you may give it a try this gadget, which is light and come with clip on.

May 11, 2019 at 8:26 AM Post #5,088 of 6,418
Thanks for sharing, I have USB and earphone jack dust cover , hope it will prevent sweat and water seep through.

Just to share recently I got Sandisk Sport Clip Plus (SSCP) 16GB internal storage only, with IPX5, tried and pairing with my Jabra Elite Active 65t, sound quality is not bad, neutral, slighly lack of bass, but for running , it's acceptable as not go for critical listening. Music is mental motivation but yet we need to be stay focus surrounding .

It's reported SSCP battery life is 20 hours , not sure about Bluetooth mode… should be more than 5 hours of Jabra, you may give it a try this gadget, which is light and come with clip on.
Have you transferred playlists to the Clip? I returned mine. I couldn't just transfer playlists. Too many hoops to jump through. Was interest in always having to do a go playlist on the Clip itself. The Clip. Line has gone downhill from a firmware side of things. Shame.

May 11, 2019 at 9:20 AM Post #5,089 of 6,418
Have you transferred playlists to the Clip? I returned mine. I couldn't just transfer playlists. Too many hoops to jump through. Was interest in always having to do a go playlist on the Clip itself. The Clip. Line has gone downhill from a firmware side of things. Shame.
Just received it last week , added in 100 favorite songs and shuffle play them during my run, haven't tried and created playlist yet.

IMO, it's doesn't really matter and hardly touch it once I set for run lol. As for MO, it will be used for critical listening, then playlist is some how rather important…

May 11, 2019 at 10:30 AM Post #5,090 of 6,418
Just received it last week , added in 100 favorite songs and shuffle play them during my run, haven't tried and created playlist yet.

IMO, it's doesn't really matter and hardly touch it once I set for run lol. As for MO, it will be used for critical listening, then playlist is some how rather important…
That's good then. I make playlists for running so it quickly became a no go.

Still waiting for the Shanling app. Getting a little old at this point. It's been over a year now. I use my IconX's more for running since I can easily transfer music/playlists from the phone to buds, then go for a run/workout. Convenience wins, and the M0 loses out there.

Last edited:
May 12, 2019 at 3:48 AM Post #5,091 of 6,418
How can one use the double press shortcut while in bt receiver mode with a lock screen?

The lock screen is great (especially the behaviour of the volume up/down) but since the shortcut is no longer there (seemingly) it becomes a massive ordeal if somebody tried to talk to you and u try and pause the music.

Please note that The double click feature is only missing from bt receiver mode, normal DAP mode works as expected.

This is on FW2.5

May 12, 2019 at 3:54 AM Post #5,092 of 6,418
How can one use the double press shortcut while in bt receiver mode with a lock screen?

The lock screen is great (especially the behaviour of the volume up/down) but since the shortcut is no longer there (seemingly) it becomes a massive ordeal if somebody tried to talk to you and u try and pause the music.

Please note that The double click feature is only missing from bt receiver mode, normal DAP mode works as expected.

This is on FW2.5

Since Shanling has not delivered their "Control" application for Android / iPhone, the BT receiver mode is just that - a receive only function - so double-pressing the knob/button can't do anything - since it isn't controlling the player app on your transmitting device.

May 12, 2019 at 3:59 AM Post #5,094 of 6,418
But u can still play/pause FF and REW once the screen is unlocked.

I'm confused

Can you clarify what is being Played/Paused, FF & REW?
Is it music on the M0, or music on the device that's transmitting, via BT, to the M0?

May 12, 2019 at 4:11 AM Post #5,095 of 6,418
This is while receiving music via Bluetooth (from an iPhone in this instance in AAC). I assume it's AVRCP.

It allows me to pause currently playing track, skip to next song etc once the device is unlocked but not with double click while locked

May 12, 2019 at 4:15 AM Post #5,096 of 6,418
This is while receiving music via Bluetooth (from an iPhone in this instance in AAC). I assume it's AVRCP.

It allows me to pause currently playing track, skip to next song etc once the device is unlocked but not with double click while locked

Ah, I didn't know that.
I usually have the M0 dropped in a shirt pocket, and am controlling music directly on my Android phone or tablet.
Haven't ever tried to use the M0 to control the music app on the playing device.

May 12, 2019 at 8:04 PM Post #5,098 of 6,418
Will the Shanling M0 act as a soundcard connected to my HTPC with USB, similar to my Avantree DG50 Leaf? (http://www.avantree.com/category-bl...ooth-usb-audio-adapter-avantree-dg50-pro.html),
If so, I'm tempted to buy it to get LDAC on my Sony WH-1000MX3 and RBH Prostereo H2.
What about BT range? I will use it on my HTPC in my living room.
With the Avantree, play/pause/skip tracks/volume up/down work with the inline remote on the RBH and touch controls on the Sony. Will this work if using the Shanling as a soundcard on my HTPC?

May 13, 2019 at 7:38 PM Post #5,099 of 6,418
Has anyone gotten an issue with their m0 not turning on? I was trying to charge it yesterday night since I have to go out today but as soon as I plugged the charger in the screen went black and became warm to the touch. I checked the cable to see if I did anything wrong.

To my surprise I plugged my laptop charger in my m0... I'm honestly worried if I shorted my m0. I'm currently letting it sit on my desk and hoping I can just let the battery die and then charge it with the appropriate charger.

Has anyone got any advise on how to fix this?

Thank you in advance!

EDIT: Yes I know I'm dumb for not paying attention to the cable.

EDIT 2: Concluded why it is dead. I'm actually dumb.

Last edited:
May 14, 2019 at 3:15 AM Post #5,100 of 6,418
Has anyone gotten an issue with their m0 not turning on? I was trying to charge it yesterday night since I have to go out today but as soon as I plugged the charger in the screen went black and became warm to the touch. I checked the cable to see if I did anything wrong.

To my surprise I plugged my laptop charger in my m0... I'm honestly worried if I shorted my m0. I'm currently letting it sit on my desk and hoping I can just let the battery die and then charge it with the appropriate charger.

Has anyone got any advise on how to fix this?

Thank you in advance!

EDIT: Yes I know I'm dumb for not paying attention to the cable.

EDIT 2: Concluded why it is dead. I'm actually dumb.
Thought all class C usb would be compatible with each other. They do up the juice for laptop chargers, but my understanding is the two components must handshake for this to happen. M0 shouldn't have asked for "laptop charging levels" and the charger shouldn't have supplied it without being asked.

At least that is the info I got from quickly skimming this article. https://www.androidauthority.com/usb-type-c-and-3-1-explained-656552/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back