Shanling M0 - Smallest Hi-Res Portable Player - New Firmware V3.6
Oct 6, 2018 at 11:41 AM Post #3,361 of 6,418
Is the M0 compatible with Hibylink like the M1 and M2s? If so, then I will hand over my $$$!

Fyi, I just checked Shanling's webpage and apparently the M0 does support AAC over Bluetooth for transmission.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2018 at 5:03 AM Post #3,364 of 6,418
Hi all,

Can the M0 be used as Bluetooth receiver only to be connected with Chord Mojo?

Not at the moment. I suppose I can't speak for using the Mojo, but I did recently try this whilst connected to the Micro iDSD black label but couldn't get get it to work in that manner.

Oct 7, 2018 at 9:33 AM Post #3,365 of 6,418
Anyone has similar issues when plugging the usb otg to the m0, the m0 doesn't recognise the external dac. I have to plug the otg (without the usb csble), then plug the cable into the otg then it connects. If i leave the otg connected to the usb csnle, it never ever recognise the dsc no matter how mamy time i unplug amd plug on the usb c into the m0.

It acts weird. Twice it connected using the method you described, but mostly it does not connect at all even if I repeat same steps in the exact order, i.e. set USB mode to "DAC" in M0, switch off M0, switch off external dac, connect USB 2.0 A-B audio cable to external dac, switch on both M0 and external DAC, connect USB OTG cable adapter (AK-CBUB30-15BK) into M0, connect USB 2.0 A-B audio cable into USB OTG adapter. Twice I had succesful connection and sound, but afterwards nothing. Only clicks and pops of unsuccesful connection. I hope new firmware fixes it.

I choosed this specific OTG cable, because users adviced to choose it as it works in most or all situations when connecting various USB devices to OTG enabled phones. I guess the same result would be achieved with HIFi grade cable like the one from iFi (link)

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2018 at 11:05 PM Post #3,367 of 6,418
The M0 can receive AAC bluetooth but not send it. The Bluetooth codecs can be configured in the Bluetooth settings, but I would assume whichever end is the sender controls which codec is used.

M0 can send AAC, as well as receive it.
Codec used is controlled by source device. So if you are using M0 with BT headphones, set it on M0. Using phone and M0 only as receiver? Set it up on your phone.

hi guys, i just got shanling m0 with 1.0 firmware, but i can't go to 2.1.... its just restarting and blank.... is it normal? how long you guys wait till it update?
i'm already tried using 32gb 64gb and 128gb with fat32, place "update.bin" in the root

need help

You should be doing everything right, from 1.0 (which was sold only in China) you need FAT32 card, unzipped file in root folder(so not hidden in any folder) and click on system update. M0 will search for firmware, tell you it found firmware, restart and then you will see screen, where M0 shows you the progress of update. Update takes under minute.

Hi Shanling,

In HIGH Gain Mode, what is the max impedance your M0 device can drive?? Please let me know in detail.

Thank you!!

In theory it can be used with any headphones, if you get the satisfying result with it is different question. It's hard to set some strict recommendations, since it's not only about impedance, but also about sensitivity, listeners preferences and experience (somebody who only heard Sennheiser HD600 from their phone would see M0 as improvement) and even the audio files you use.

M0 is tiny portable device, it has more power than anything in it's size, more power than almost everything in its price rang. Yet our main recommendation is to use it mainly with IEMs and the easier to drive headphones.

Bummer. This would've turned the Mojo into a virtual Poly Mojo.

Hi @Shanling.....feature request for the M0 to be able to be usd as a transport into a dac/amp outputting audio received from Bluetooth, along with AAC Bluetooth transmission. Cheers.

This was discussed few times already, our plan is to bring such feature to M0.

Any update on how to make and transfer playlists from your computer to the m0? I would love if the m0 could accept a m3u8 playlist

Coming in firmware update. I tested it with basic playlist created in foobar and it works nicely.

It acts weird. Twice it connected using the method you described, but mostly it does not connect at all even if I repeat same steps in the exact order, i.e. set USB mode to "DAC" in M0, switch off M0, switch off external dac, connect USB 2.0 A-B audio cable to external dac, switch on both M0 and external DAC, connect USB OTG cable adapter (AK-CBUB30-15BK) into M0, connect USB 2.0 A-B audio cable into USB OTG adapter. Twice I had succesful connection and sound, but afterwards nothing. Only clicks and pops of unsuccesful connection. I hope new firmware fixes it.

I choosed this specific OTG cable, because users adviced to choose it as it works in most or all situations when connecting various USB devices to OTG enabled phones. I guess the same result would be achieved with HIFi grade cable like the one from iFi (link)

On M0, there is nothing to setup for the USB DAC. Most of time, it has to do with the way how the DAC communicates with the source. Unfortunately there is no "one right way" how to connect DACs, considering there is few thousands of them.
Only way is to simply try all combinations and see, which one works. Sometimes cable must go first into M0, other times DAC must be first, adapter inserted before cable, etc.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Oct 7, 2018 at 11:52 PM Post #3,368 of 6,418
M0 can send AAC, as well as receive it.
Codec used is controlled by source device. So if you are using M0 with BT headphones, set it on M0. Using phone and M0 only as receiver? Set it up on your phone.

You should be doing everything right, from 1.0 (which was sold only in China) you need FAT32 card, unzipped file in root folder(so not hidden in any folder) and click on system update. M0 will search for firmware, tell you it found firmware, restart and then you will see screen, where M0 shows you the progress of update. Update takes under minute.

In theory it can be used with any headphones, if you get the satisfying result with it is different question. It's hard to set some strict recommendations, since it's not only about impedance, but also about sensitivity, listeners preferences and experience (somebody who only heard Sennheiser HD600 from their phone would see M0 as improvement) and even the audio files you use.

M0 is tiny portable device, it has more power than anything in it's size, more power than almost everything in its price rang. Yet our main recommendation is to use it mainly with IEMs and the easier to drive headphones.

This was discussed few times already, our plan is to bring such feature to M0.

Coming in firmware update. I tested it with basic playlist created in foobar and it works nicely.

On M0, there is nothing to setup for the USB DAC. Most of time, it has to do with the way how the DAC communicates with the source. Unfortunately there is no "one right way" how to connect DACs, considering there is few thousands of them.
Only way is to simply try all combinations and see, which one works. Sometimes cable must go first into M0, other times DAC must be first, adapter inserted before cable, etc.

Ok thank you!

Oct 8, 2018 at 2:03 AM Post #3,369 of 6,418
Have anybody tried to test USB DAC function with mobile phone?

I have Onkyo HF Player and USB Audio Player Pro (UAPP) but M0 doesn't work with this apps.

Only default setting (192kHz/24bit) is working and can't work with those apps own drivers. (valid USB Host Driver)

anyone tried?

My smartphone is Note9.

Oct 8, 2018 at 2:29 AM Post #3,370 of 6,418

I have Onkyo HF Player and USB Audio Player Pro (UAPP) but M0 doesn't work with this apps.

Only default setting (192kHz/24bit) is working and can't work with those apps own drivers. (valid USB Host Driver)

anyone tried?

My smartphone is Note9.

Due to huge variety of Android phones, their apps, firmwares, etc, it's kind of random.

With my Honor 9, running Android 8, M0 works as USB DAC, with all apps and without any need for advanced setting.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Oct 8, 2018 at 2:43 AM Post #3,371 of 6,418
Other DAP or DAC is working with my phone and apps. (like sonyzx300, fiio q1mk2, xduoo x20).

Is this M0 problem or android app software problem(HF player, UAPP)?

I think it's the first one.

please figure out this problem and I hope you improve it.

thanks

Oct 8, 2018 at 2:48 AM Post #3,372 of 6,418

anyone tried?

My smartphone is Note9.

I have the same issue with a much cheaper budget device, the Lenovo K8 Note. However my device is a micro USB out whereas the M0 is a type-c USB and that's where my doubts lie as to maybe the cable am using is creating these issues. Have tried almost 4 to 5 OTG cables for now but doesn't wanna work on the phone. Strange thing is, on my Huawei Mediapad Tablet, M0 connects and runs fine with Spotify and Tidal but only issue is, its not doing bit-perfect. M0 screen says 24-bit 44.1 kHz irrespective of the track being played. And, the app through which bit perfect playback is possible which is UAPP (USB Audio Player Pro), it glitches and stutters and lags like crazy. Tried all USB tweaks and different settings on the app settings but i cannot get it to work on bit-perfect.

Works completely fine on PC & Laptop though......bit-rate changes basis the songs being played, which is what i would expect a dac to do! Just dont know what am doing wrong while connecting to the phone or tablet

Oct 8, 2018 at 2:50 AM Post #3,373 of 6,418
Other DAP or DAC is working with my phone and apps. (like sonyzx300, fiio q1mk2, xduoo x20).

Is this M0 problem or android app software problem(HF player, UAPP)?

I think it's the first one.

please figure out this problem and I hope you improve it.

thanks
I have the same issue with a much cheaper budget device, the Lenovo K8 Note. However my device is a micro USB out whereas the M0 is a type-c USB and that's where my doubts lie as to maybe the cable am using is creating these issues. Have tried almost 4 to 5 OTG cables for now but doesn't wanna work on the phone. Strange thing is, on my Huawei Mediapad Tablet, M0 connects and runs fine with Spotify and Tidal but only issue is, its not doing bit-perfect. M0 screen says 24-bit 44.1 kHz irrespective of the track being played. And, the app through which bit perfect playback is possible which is UAPP (USB Audio Player Pro), it glitches and stutters and lags like crazy. Tried all USB tweaks and different settings on the app settings but i cannot get it to work on bit-perfect.

Works completely fine on PC & Laptop though......bit-rate changes basis the songs being played, which is what i would expect a dac to do! Just dont know what am doing wrong while connecting to the phone or tablet

That's what I exactly talking about.
For me, connetion with PC is working perfect.

I want bit-perfect with UAPP.

Oct 8, 2018 at 6:49 AM Post #3,375 of 6,418
Recently i brought 4gb microsd which is fat32, i tried all you said like fat32, unzip place it in the root... and still blank after restarting
didnt see any progress screen after restarting, even i leave it to sleep like 5 hour still blank... have to hard reset to get back alive (still 1.0 in screen)
Thats not normal right, I need to sent back to get replacement unit

Some video to see the problem

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back